Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

David Hall 1892-CC Eagle in SBG Auction Tomorrow

AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Many collectors may not know that David Hall formed a top-ranked set of Liberty Head Eagles that was sold to Bob Simpson via Laura in 2011. Though not identified as such, the Hall-Simpson 1892-CC Eagle will be offered tomorrow. Although I am not commenting upon its market value, this is an excellent coin, which really grabbed my attention during a lot viewing session.

All 1892-CC Eagles are overlooked, as 1890-CC Eagles are relatively common and 1893-CC Eagles are rare. Further, 1893-CC coins receive attention as having been made during the last year of the Carson City Mint. Moreover, earlier CC issues are more highly regarded. The 1892-CC does not receive the respect that she deserves.

Overlooked 1892 Carson City Eagle

Half Cents to Quarters are Featured in Rarities Night in Baltimore
"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Comments

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the link and a heads up regarding these coins coming up for sale. Very much appreciated
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Pop 28 and 4 better. Let's see whether it could break last September $10281 record image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it has to break it if it sells due to the reserve
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a nice gold coin.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Did not sell. The opening bid (I guess it is the reserve) is around $13,000. I guess it is too much for current market image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mighty proud of that hunk o' gold...no takers...this time. The coin market is down all around...for the most part. There were some higher than I figured hammer prices on those old large coppers.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A market where there is only one winning bidder who is bidding against a reserve is a retail market.

A market where there are at least two bidders legitimately competing to own the item is one where I'm more comfortable buying.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks MS63 to me.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jcping

Pop 28 and 4 better. Let's see whether it could break last September $10281 record image

With 46 grading events in MS61 and higher, there are a decent number of these to go around. I doubt there are several dozen $10 date set collectors that need this date in unc. On the other hand, the demand from CC-only collectors is another story. If anyone is just looking for a CC type coin in unc, the hundreds of available 1891-cc's fit the bill.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

Mighty proud of that hunk o' gold...no takers...this time. The coin market is down all around...for the most part. There were some higher than I figured hammer prices on those old large coppers.

Do you own that it?
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I looked it up it shows that it sold for $12000. I am looking at the wrong coin ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Gazes
    When I looked it up it shows that it sold for $12000. I am looking at the wrong coin ?

Indeed, it changed from PASS to Sold for $12,000 and reserve is $12K in Stackbowers website. I guess someone bought this coin after auction and negotiated to pay $12K net price juice included. If auction house keep 10% as commission, consignor still successfully flipped this coin with single digit profit margin image
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭
    As an aside, those of you who were on the forum back then may remember that DH was selling the Ellen D collection in part to buy a beach house in southern California. With California real estate behaving the way it has, I suspect that has turned out to be a very strong move.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ranshdow
    As an aside, those of you who were on the forum back then may remember that DH was selling the Ellen D collection in part to buy a beach house in southern California. With California real estate behaving the way it has, I suspect that has turned out to be a very strong move.

Results speak itself. With the current CA beach real estate, it was a great move image
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    Roadrunner: "With 46 grading events in MS61 and higher, there are a decent number of these to go around"

Many of the same 1892-CC Eagles have been submitted over and over again. The condition rarity in 62 and higher grades provide quite a motive for re-submissions of coins in the 55+ to 62 range. I discuss the rarity of all CC tens in the article, including the reasons why this one has been overlooked.

oih82w8; "Mighty proud of that hunk o' gold...no takers...this time. The coin market is down all around...for the most part"

While markets for rarities are "down all around ... for the most part," even when markets are booming, some consignors place reserves that are very aggressive. This same coin was auctioned by Legend for $10,281.25 in Sept. 2015.

JCping: "... , it changed from PASS to Sold for $12,000 and reserve is $12K in Stackbowers website. I guess someone bought this coin after auction and negotiated to pay $12K net price juice included. If auction house keep 10% as commission, consignor still successfully flipped this coin with single digit profit margin."

Other than my impression that the reserve WAS 14k+17.5 before a likely post-auction negotiation, I support JC Ping's hypothesis here, which seems very plausible. In any event, I cover the price realized for this coin and other results in this auction:

Market Realities & Strong Prices Realized in Rarities Night Auction
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jcping

Glad to hear the market is doing well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file