Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New DDR 1913-D Type 1 Buffalo Nickel "Official"

jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
A thread was created back in December regarding a 1913-D Type 1 Buffalo Nickel with a possible DDR that had not been listed.

It's official. I just received confirmation from James Wiles about a 1913-D Type 1 Buffalo Nickel I sent him for examination. It is now listed as DDR-001, 1-R-IV+VIII, stage A, EMDS.

I'm so excited as this is the first variety I have ever discovered!! Now I need to send it off to a TPG to get graded and marked as a discovery piece.

Here are the photos of the coin to refresh some of your memories.

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

gratz

other thread.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

dammmmmm, took some work to find the link. grrrr

type/date page

LLIINNKK

also first for the year/mm/type. gratz again!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jtlee321
    A thread was created back in December regarding a 1913-D Type 1 Buffalo Nickel with a possible DDR that had not been listed.

It's official. I just received confirmation from James Wiles about a 1913-D Type 1 Buffalo Nickel I sent him for examination. It is now listed as DDR-001, 1-R-IV+VIII, stage A, EMDS.

I'm so excited as this is the first variety I have ever discovered!! Now I need to send it off to a TPG to get graded and marked as a discovery piece.

Here are the photos of the coin to refresh some of your memories.

Much better closeups this time .....

• Options
    Thanks guys. Any suggestion as to the best TPG service to send this to to get Discovery coin recognition? I have a letter from James Wiles showing this as a new listing. I know ANACS does it, but will NGC or PCGS?
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best bet would be to call them.
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    Way too cool... Congratulations
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Made a believer outta me!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!! Due to this coin's great similarity to the DDR "P" Mint I wonder if it might be a working hub variety, affecting several working dies. When you have coins from the same year and from two or more different Mints that's often the case.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: koynekwest
    Congrats!! Due to this coin's great similarity to the DDR "P" Mint I wonder if it might be a working hub variety, affecting several working dies. When you have coins from the same year and from two or more different Mints that's often the case.

That's exactly what I was thinking. There is possibly an S mint variety out there as well. I'm keeping my eye's open.
  • Options
    I'll point this out to Dr Wiles and get his take on it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: koynekwest
    I'll point this out to Dr Wiles and get his take on it.

I just received it back from Dr. Wiles today. He is the one who attributed it for me and has listed it in the CONECA files.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, congrats
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the only TPG who will designate "discovery" pieces is ANACS. They are also one of the few who will do varieties not listed in the Cherrypicker Guide to Die Varieties.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations... now I must set aside some time to check my Buff herd... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Make sure to check all of your Type 1's RickO. There is a theory that this is the result of a doubled working hub. It would be very interesting to find an S version of this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

Congratulations... now I must set aside some time to check my Buff herd... Cheers, RickO

you will need good eyes and a sharp loupe.

buff ddo/ddr, especially the ddr are notoriously difficult due to die stages.

hope you find some. image

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Great snag!
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding coin. The doubling is clear as day.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. When I originally bought it, I was looking for an example of a 1913 Type 1 Buffalo regardless of MM. The dealer I bought this from had a P and a D in about the same grade, both raw. I liked both. So after examining both under a loupe, I noticed the doubling on the reverse of the Denver and to me, did not look like MD. So I bought the Denver coin and brought it home for further study. It had been sitting in my collection for close to 5 months or so before sending it out to Dr. Wiles for confirmation. I'm glad I did and he turned it around pretty fast for me as well.
  • Options
    Here is my query and Dr Wiles' reply-

James-

The newly listed 1913-D Var 1 Buff was just posted on the PCGS website. It looks very similar to the "P" Mint already listed. Could this be a working hub d die?

JAMES WILES

5:26 PM (22 hours ago)

to me

Ron:

It is possible there is a Doubled working hub, but with only 2 dies listed, it is difficult to say. With known working hub doubled dies, I list 10-12 dies at a minimum.

Thanks,

James Wiles

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sent mine to Dr. Wiles today. Hopefully it will be likewise.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jesbroken
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

You have an example of this same Denver variety Jesbroken? I would love to see pics of your example.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jesbroken
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

Have you heard back on your nickel Jim?

Also, Coinworld has done an article on this new discovery. They contacted Mr. John Wexler who in turn contacted me requesting to examine my coin for inclusion on his site. He was very nice to work with and he confirmed the new variety.

Coinworld Article

Wexler's Die Varieties
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job! You must be very happy.

It's a lot of work to get a new variety published.

Again, my heartiest congratulations.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mannie gray
    Great job! You must be very happy.
    It's a lot of work to get a new variety published.
    Again, my heartiest congratulations.

Thank you very much mannie gray. I am very happy about it. It was a happy accident.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would send copies of the documentation that Dr. Wiles sent back with the coin to whoever you send it in to...ANACS could label it as a DISOVERY, PCGS and NGC more than likely won't.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    A big congrats Ron. Making a new discovery is always exciting!

Looks like there are still discoveries to be made, even 100+ years later.

I never could to get NGC or PCGS to acknowledge 08-W rev of 07 ASE with a discovery label.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: halfhunter
    A big congrats Ron. Making a new discovery is always exciting!
    Looks like there are still discoveries to be made, even 100+ years later.

I never could to get NGC or PCGS to acknowledge 08-W rev of 07 ASE with a discovery label.

HH

Thanks halfhunter. It was my discovery, and I have contacted NGC, as I have direct submission privileges through them because of my ANA membership. They told me that they could annotate "First Reported" on the holder with documentation from Dr. Wiles. I also have a letter from Mr. Wexler to support it.
  • Options
    It's always a nice feeling when you get credit as the first to report a new variety. I would suspect there is more than a few of this type (Class IV with slight doubling on the interior details) to be found with close scrutiny.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file