Home U.S. Coin Forum

At what point do you consider a shipment LOST?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Awaiting something in the mail which sent out on March 2 but vanished off the USPS tracking screen on March 4 while 2 hours away distance wise.

Now 15 days later I'm not sure what to think?

Do I hold my breath and hope it surfaces before the 30 day mark or is now already enough time to consider it lost?
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    You might want to file an online inquiry/complaint. They will actually physically look for it, and over the past several years, I have had a half dozen or so magically appear after filing online. Good luck!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a link for the online inquiry/complaint?
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 days for me. Longer if it's International of course.

I've waited 3 weeks many times on Registered Mail and 2 weeks+ on 1st Class. As always YMMV.
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    By what method was it shipped?
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS misaddresed a return shipment to me...my Irish address to my Michigan city and state. Obviously it went undeliverable. That was a month ago and still not back to PCGS. All coins were replaceable except a mintage 10 proof world coincide made 65CAM. Really pissed if that goes permenNtly missing.

• TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck
    Awaiting something in the mail which sent out on March 2 but vanished off the USPS tracking screen on March 4 while 2 hours away distance wise.

Do I hold my breath and hope it surfaces before the 30 day mark or is now already enough time to consider it lost?

Go to the post office and have them check the tracking from their end. They have more information than you including the GPS coordinates of when it was shipped.

I've seen things go silent for 8 or 9 days, but never 15. But it could still show up. I'm assuming it was sent regular or priority mail without being registered. Registered mail can take forever especially if the right person isn't available to sign the tracking.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd call on Monday, if it doesn't show up.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks I was at the post office and they are going to place a Trace on it Monday through their tracking system.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had one go dark for eight days before turning up at the local sorting hub. Try doing a quick google search on the last address in the tracking history, some hubs have a history of delaying packages, I know I felt a little better knowing that a week delay wasn't out of character for the path my package took.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would consider it lost at this point. I had an incoming package that said 'delivered' and I knew it was not... since I was there when the mail came. I immediately called the Post Office.... they put a trace on it and had it to me the next day. Cheers, RickO
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have contacted the USPS (via email from their main web page) several times for missing packages
    which had tracking and they have always found the package and sent it on to me.

I usually waited until the tracking showed the package was "stuck" at one place for a week.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Originally posted by: ricko
    I would consider it lost at this point. I had an incoming package that said 'delivered' and I knew it was not... since I was there when the mail came. I immediately called the Post Office.... they put a trace on it and had it to me the next day. Cheers, RickO

Same thing with me. I've seen on the tracking that a package was delivered only to get my mail and find it's not there 15 minutes after delivery. I drove to the post office and let them know of the issue. Turns out the carrier put it in someone else's box and I got it the next day.
  • I recently had my first lost item. Mailed a coin off to buyer, status showed out for delivery, then delivery status not updated...Buyer contacted me approx 21 days after i shipped it stating it never arrived. 1 out of 800 isn't bad I guess.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Stop thinking "lost", stolen is more like it.

Out of 107 shipments made by me, two have disappeared off the USPS tracking radar, both from USPS distribution centers, NC and KS. Brown mailers, nondescript addresses, no insurance, no registered, just delivery confirmation. Gone. "Lost", according to USPS, a euphemism for stolen. MHO

Any attempt to recover my "lost" items was futile via USPS recovery methods, as shipper I ate it.

At least you are the receiver.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider it lost when the insurance check arrives. Until then, there's still motivation for people to find it.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JCLIGHTBRIGADE
    I recently had my first lost item. Mailed a coin off to buyer, status showed out for delivery, then delivery status not updated...Buyer contacted me approx 21 days after i shipped it stating it never arrived. 1 out of 800 isn't bad I guess.

Unfortunately, especially on ebay sales where proof of delivery is required, some buyers who note that tracking never shows delivered when they did actually receive the item, will claim "never got it." The longer the buyer waits to make the claim, the more likely he was waiting to make sure tracking did not get updated to show he got it.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    To file an USPS insurance claim, you have to wait 3 weeks.

Sometimes first class (or Priority) mail gets mixed in with parcels going by truck.

Parcels can sit at distribution centers for days and days until enough accumulate before they get shipped to the next stop.

So there is still hope
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

Broadstruck, did your shipment ever show up???
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri
    PCGS misaddresed a return shipment to me...my Irish address to my Michigan city and state. Obviously it went undeliverable. That was a month ago and still not back to PCGS. All coins were replaceable except a mintage 10 proof world coincide made 65CAM. Really pissed if that goes permenNtly missing.

My understanding is that there is a Georgia office where orphaned mail goes. You might want to investigate to see if you can locate it that way. I hope your coins show up. How long ago has it been?
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2

Broadstruck, did your shipment ever show up???

No and my last email a week ago to the seller fell on deaf ears so I'll have to try again.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cameonut2011
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

My understanding is that there is a Georgia office where orphaned mail goes. You might want to investigate to see if you can locate it that way. I hope your coins show up. How long ago has it been?

Atlanta Mail Recovery center - but if there is a packing slip or viable return address, it would be returned/delivered. Even if the package was damaged and contents gone, USPS would put in a plastic bag stating damaged and deliver empty box/envelope.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file