Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USPS Registered Mail may be the most secure...

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a half-box of ten on it's way to CAC, that I sent out on 12 Mar 2016, USPS 2-Day Priority, Registered, and it has not moved apparently since 14 Mar 2016. I realize that sometimes the tracking info does not get updated periodically and then all of a sudden the influx of dates and times just appears. But dadgummit, when someone pays for a service it ought to be delivered in a timely manner. image

I have not received any notification from CAC about receiving my package, so I am fairly certain that it is in limbo status...still. image

Infuriated.
oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not believe that there is such an option as US "2 Day Priority, Registered Mail." Registered mail..aka.."snail mail," takes a while. FYI..there is an option: "Priority Mail Express"...but it's not Registered Mail.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered mail moves at it's on pace regardless of which service you choose!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no such thing as Priority Registered so it's silly to opt for the Priority option.

If you use a USPS Priority box the Priority fee you pay is for their cardboard.

Domestic isn't so bad as I have a International Priority out of Europe stuck in customs since Feb 25th.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OPA

I do not believe that there is such an option as US "2 Day Priority, Registered Mail." Registered mail..aka.."snail mail," takes a while. FYI..there is an option: "Priority Mail Express"...but it's not Registered Mail.

I did not think so either, but I was informed at the counter that it did not qualify for 1st Class;

Expected Delivery Day: Monday, March 14, 2016

Product & Tracking Information

Postal Product: Priority Mail 2-Day™

Features: Registered Mail™

Date & Time: March 14, 2016 , 10:24 pm

Status of Item: Arrived at USPS Facility

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe if the package is over a certain weight it must be send Priority, not First Class. If I'm incorrect someone please correct me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I believe that you are correct ajaan on the maximum weight of 1st Class...looking it up on USPS.com

"Maximum Weight: 13 ounces (over 13 ounces, First-Class Mail becomes Priority Mail).

Letter Maximum Weight: 3.5 ounces."

http://pe.usps.com/businessmai...classes/firstClass.htm

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All registered mail moves at the slow pace of registered mail. Doesn't matter if it's first class or priority. One should never choose the priority add on for registered, unless using a priority flat rate box for heavier shipments. Priority is an option (useless) for registered mail at 13 ounces or less and is a requirement at a weight over 13 ounces. All registered mail is slow.

When buying registered service at the counter 13 ounces or less, specify "first class" registered, it is a few dollars cheaper. If the shipment is over the 13 oz. limit or in a priority box it will be charged at the priority rate. Don't use priority boxes for shipments 13 ounces or less, you are paying a few extra dollars for nothing.

The only advantage to priority registered is the use of flat rate priority boxes for heavier shipments.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC just sent a package to me. When I track it with the registered tracking number, here is what is listed on the USPS website:

Postal Product:

Priority Mail 2-Day™

Features:

Registered Mail™

So yes USPS does have Prioirity 2 Day Registered Mail.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered mail has been way slower as of late for me. Packages for me been taking an average of 4 business days longer than normal. Usually I could add 2-3 days to the regular priority day and that would usually be about when it was delivered. The past three packages I had to call and then seemed to get some movement.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: spacehayduke

CAC just sent a package to me. When I track it with the registered tracking number, here is what is listed on the USPS website:

Postal Product:

Priority Mail 2-Day™

Features:

Registered Mail™

So yes USPS does have Prioirity 2 Day Registered Mail.

Best, SH

All this means is that the shipper packaged it in a two day priority box or specified two day priority at the counter and if it was 13 ounces or less he wasted a few dollars. It will not travel through the USPS system any faster. The security controls and chain of custody signature requirements are the same for both priority registered and first class registered and are what delays registered mail.

All registered mail normally takes between 5-10 days depending on the number of USPS stops along the way. Being close to a major USPS hub is an advantage.

• Options
    The reason behind this thread is venting my disgruntlement on a(n apparently) frustrated (delayed) package which has not (supposedly) moved from one location (Coppell, TX, a major USPS Hub) in over two days.

I believe the rule of thumb is that a properly packaged coin slab weighs approx. 3 ounces. I sent 10 (ten) with the PCGS Blue Box so it definitely weighs more than 13 ounces, therefore would require Priority Mail.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered Mail = Insurance that our own employees won't steal your stuff.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sent and received hundreds of Registered Mail packages over the past thirty-plus years and EVERY ONE of them arrived safe and sound. The average delivery time was seven to ten days but I did have one make it in three days but, on the other hand, another took seventeen days to make it from New York to Oklahoma.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The slower Registered Mail moves shows the extra care, caution, and protectiveness of your package by the Post Office.
    See...you're getting more than your money's worth.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Priority package coming back to Illinois from CAC. It was mailed last Friday and (according to tracking) has been stuck in New York City since 3 am Saturday morning with no movement. I thought I heard somewhere that the shipper (CAC) can complain and get a partial refund because they aren't getting what the post office has promised.

Oddly, packages coming from PCGS (California) to Illinois are actually 2 to 3 days consistently. I'm assuming those get flown in while packages from the east get trucked.

Still sucks that the box says 2 days. My eye!!
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: oih82w8
    The reason behind this thread is venting my disgruntlement on a(n apparently) frustrated (delayed) package which has not (supposedly) moved from one location (Coppell, TX, a major USPS Hub) in over two days.

I believe the rule of thumb is that a properly packaged coin slab weighs approx. 3 ounces. I sent 10 (ten) with the PCGS Blue Box so it definitely weighs more than 13 ounces, therefore would require Priority Mail.

It requires the priority mail rate, it still travels at the normal registered pace. While tracking may show that it has not moved, in reality it may have. Registered tracking info is notorious for not being updated on a regular basis.

• Options
    Originally posted by: DollarAfterDollar
    I have a Priority package coming back to Illinois from CAC. It was mailed last Friday and (according to tracking) has been stuck in New York City since 3 am Saturday morning with no movement. I thought I heard somewhere that the shipper (CAC) can complain and get a partial refund because they aren't getting what the post office has promised.

Oddly, packages coming from PCGS (California) to Illinois are actually 2 to 3 days consistently. I'm assuming those get flown in while packages from the east get trucked.

If it shipped registered, it does not matter what the box says. For priority registered items the USPS tracking page will incorrectly show an expected delivery date that is based on the priority rate it was shipped at and not the correct, extended delivery date that is a result of it being sent registered. Do not be fooled by the tracking page's expected delivery date for priority registered items.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had one coming back from CAC take 3 weeks, was stuck in NY.

Usually it goes from there pick up to Kearny, to bestminister, to charlotte, then over to me, about 3-4 days

this last time it left Kearny , NJ went to Manhattan NY post office and sat there for almost two weeks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jdimmick
    Just had one coming back from CAC take 3 weeks, was stuck in NY.

Usually it goes from there pick up to Kearny, to bestminister, to charlotte, then over to me, about 3-4 days

this last time it left Kearny , NJ went to Manhattan NY post office and sat there for almost two weeks.

They always go in the USPS branch safe until pick up and are sometimes forgotten. Other times, because signatures are required, USPS employees will leave it for the next guy, and then the next guy . . .

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe, it's been several years since PCGS stopped using Registered Mail. All of my returns from them in the last several years have been via USPS Priority Mail.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    They always go in the USPS branch safe until pick up and are sometimes forgotten. Other times, because signatures are required, USPS employees will leave it for the next guy, and then the next guy . . .

This sounds about right..."let someone else do it". It seems that the only ones who are not pushing the envelope are the postal employees.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

Registered Mail often "goes dark" in the customer tracking tool, then suddenly shows up delivered. If you want to know where it is, you can have someone at the PO show you the internal tracking. The reason for the two separate tracking mechanisms is kept on file in both typewritten and handwritten forms at the Department of Redundancy Department. A copy of this can be obtained by calling their information request hotline and asking how to fax them an information request.

Most recent registered package I sent was mailed from the Chicago area on Saturday and arrived in the middle of nowhere, Nevada yesterday. Of course, delivery speed for one package is purely anecdotal, as there is no rule of thumb for registered mail. USPS should stop quoting delivery times when people ship registered, because it only leads to unnecessary angst. I've had to explain this to clerks when they tell me stuff like "it should be there Tuesday," after reading the Priority Mail delivery date.

• Options
    Unfortunately, the only USPS option that will cover bullion in the event of a loss is registered mail. USPS is not very clear on how they define bullion.

• Options
    Surprise, after calling the USPS the next stop showed up...Kearny NJ.

Date & Time: March 17, 2016 , 8:13 am

Status of Item: Arrived at Unit

March 14, 2016 , 10:24 pm Arrived at USPS Facility COPPELL, TX 75099

"goes dark" and "unnecessary angst" sounds about right, John.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used registered mail for expensive shipments - ranging from firearms to gold - and it

always seems to take from 5 to 10 days... whether two states over or to the west coast. The nice part is, it always makes it safe and sound. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭
    It requires the priority mail rate, it still travels at the normal registered pace. While tracking may show that it has not moved, in reality it may have. Registered tracking info is notorious for not being updated on a regular basis.

If it shipped registered, it does not matter what the box says. For priority registered items the USPS tracking page will incorrectly show an expected delivery date that is based on the priority rate it was shipped at and not the correct, extended delivery date that is a result of it being sent registered. Do not be fooled by the tracking page's expected delivery date for priority registered items.

derryb is spot on. We've shipped over a thousand Registered packages and this has been our experience. When you ship something Registered, just assume it's going to take between 5 and 15 days. If it shows up sooner, bonus! If it shows up later, don't be surprised.

Speaking of surprised, the only claim I've ever filed with our insurance company was for a lost Registered package. : (
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb
    All registered mail moves at the slow pace of registered mail. Doesn't matter if it's first class or priority. One should never choose the priority add on for registered, unless using a priority flat rate box for heavier shipments. Priority is an option (useless) for registered mail at 13 ounces or less and is a requirement at a weight over 13 ounces. All registered mail is slow.

When buying registered service at the counter 13 ounces or less, specify "first class" registered, it is a few dollars cheaper. If the shipment is over the 13 oz. limit or in a priority box it will be charged at the priority rate. Don't use priority boxes for shipments 13 ounces or less, you are paying a few extra dollars for nothing.

The only advantage to priority registered is the use of flat rate priority boxes for heavier shipments.

100% Correct.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a registered parcel of newly graded coins sit in one place for 9 or 10 days, so you may want to kick your feet up a while.

But, what I usually notice, is that half of the tracking ends up missing, so it is actually moving, even though it gives the illusion that it isn't.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered = registered.

The way the USPS has it, they delineate 1st class and priority (weight/size) and then add on the "registered" portion.

Nothing big about, just how they do it.

So, registered means it has to be signed for each step, locked up when not signed out, only certain people can/should have access, etc. That's why there is no "2 day" option. You would want to investigate "express" for that...but it isn't registered, so there is a little more risk, in some ways.

Registered can take a couple of days up to MUCH LONGER.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    The "2-Day" moniker should be removed from "registered" parcels altogether. It gives a false sense of urgency.

The package made it to NJ this morning with no tracking annotated (on the usps public site) in between TX and NJ. Stuff happens...at least it made it.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

Registered Mail = Insurance that our own employees won't steal your stuff.

I thought their 3% value insurance policy was for that, or is that just for processing the claims?
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awful. Doesn't anyone working for the government do their job anymore?
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    That's awful. Doesn't anyone working for the government do their job anymore?

It's like paying taxes - you've got half the people carrying the load for the useless half.

originally posted by: clarkbar04
    I've had a registered parcel of newly graded coins sit in one place for 9 or 10 days, so you may want to kick your feet up a while.

Extreme delays should be phoned in to the USPS 1-800 number (yes you have to hold for a while). An inquiry from them will result in the holdup getting expedited. The few times I have called it was like they lit someone's pants on fire. It was probably in the branch safe where it was forgotten.

• Options
    It made it CAC today, so I thank you guys for appeasing me in my lack of "instantaneous gratification" with the postal service.

• Options
    CAC return trip delayed even more;

Date & Time Status of Item Location

April 3, 2016 , 7:13 am Arrived at USPS Facility NEW YORK, NY 10199

The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item arrived at our USPS facility in NEW YORK, NY 10199 on April 3, 2016 at 7:13 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

March 25, 2016 , 10:32 pm Arrived at USPS Facility KEARNY, NJ 07099

March 25, 2016 , 5:03 pm Departed Post Office BEDMINSTER, NJ 07921

March 25, 2016 , 11:50 am Acceptance BEDMINSTER, NJ 07921

Simply ridiculous! image

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ajaan

I believe if the package is over a certain weight it must be send Priority, not First Class. If I'm incorrect someone please correct me.

10 slabbed coins in a blue box is most definitely going to be priority mail.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In other news, your handle makes more sense than ever!
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the reason that real-time tracking doesn't update for registered packages due to security issues?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ShadyDave

Isn't the reason that real-time tracking doesn't update for registered packages due to security issues?

Awhile back they changed it so that registered tracking pretty much mirrors priority tracking; neither of which is 100% up to date. At the same time they got rid of delivery confirmation and just called it tracking.
  • Options
    What I don't understand is the delay and the lack of accuracy. There will be an Arrival notice (March 25, 2016 , 10:32 pm Arrived at USPS Facility KEARNY, NJ 07099), but no departure notice (from NJ) before it arrived in New York (April 3, 2016 , 7:13 am Arrived at USPS Facility NEW YORK, NY 10199). Where is the accountability for the signatures as the Registered parcel changes possession? It took 11 (eleven) days to go from NJ to NY??? That is bull excrement! image

"...You know ironically in our highly driven culture it would appear the only people not interested in pushing the envelope are postal employees." - Dennis Miller

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done several hundred REG packages over the years and never lost one.

A dealer friend of mine had a similar track record up until 4-5 years ago. He had a shipment (or two) of a few dozen MS65/66 Saints on their way to CAC stolen before delivery. Nothing was ever resolved. What hurt the most was that he could have gotten thousands of dollars more on any of the coins that stickered.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Go figure...I mention this "issue" in the forum and...

April 6, 2016 , 11:44 am Arrived at USPS Destination Facility OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73125

I talked with a supervisor at the main post office in OKC and he said that not every post office has these scanners that provide updated information, but they are actually signed for when the registered parcel exchanges hands, sometimes electronic signatures, sometimes wet signatures.

At least it is in the local area.

Thank you again for the input of the forum members and tolerating (for the most part) my frustration.

• Options

Box is chosen by the customer. Any expedited promise printed on it is cancelled the moment you tell the clerk "registered."

Registered rules take priority over priority rules.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file