Home Precious Metals
Options

Updated with inline pics: Picked up an old poured silver bar. Hoping someone could help identify it.

First time to this forum. Please let me know if this is not the correct sub.

Picked up the below poured silver bar the other day for spot + $1.00. I couldn't pass up a deal on a bar I have never seen. I have spent the last two days browsing the far reaches of the internet with no joy. I was hoping someone here could help out. It appears to have "E195" on the top in reverse. You can see it clearly in a mirror.

It has 999 Fine stamped on one side, and 24.57 on the bottom.

Any/all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Vetruvian

Comments

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With only one post, I doubt you are going to find anyone that will risk clicking on your links. I certainly won't. I suggest you upload your pics to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket and then post the pics here.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no problem with the links. I don't see a decimal point between the 24 and the 57. Could this be a serial number? Did you weigh your bar to see if it actually weighs 24.57 ozs? Is the word "SILVER" shown anywhere on your bar? Is the a manufacturer's name or logo shown anywhere on your bar? Is it possible that this bar is some metal other than silver?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    I had no problem with the links. I don't see a decimal point between the 24 and the 57. Could this be a serial number? Did you weigh your bar to see if it actually weighs 24.57 ozs? Is the word "SILVER" shown anywhere on your bar? Is the a manufacturer's name or logo shown anywhere on your bar? Is it possible that this bar is some metal other than silver?

I believe it's silver...with .999 stamped. I also had no issues with the links, unlike the links from that "spammer" with 10 ongoing threads. My guess, it's some sort of industrial use related ingot.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard vetruvian...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Apologies on the original linked pictures. I am so accustomed to linking to imgur as I am a heavy user over at /r/Silverbugs. I have placed them inline in the post.

Now, as far as the bar goes, I never would have guessed the '24 57' might be a serial. But given the lack of any discernible decimal, its definitely a possibility. Thanks for the tip PerryHall.

It weighs in (on a USPS home scale) at 24.38 ozt. Sorry, my accurate scale only goes up to about 20 oz. I don't trust the USPS scale because it reads in oz and only goes to one significant figure. I'm gunna take it back to my LCS on Monday and have them weigh it.

'Silver' or any other mint name or logo is not on the bar at all. I have uploaded pictures of all the identifying marks.

I placed a magnet on the bar and there is absolutely no measurable attraction. The magnet falls off.

I frequent an LCS that is run by three guys. They are the most honest and knowledgeable people I have met in this trade. They test every piece of anything they ever buy. So when they told me they had tested it as usual, I didn't even think to second guess them. I may bring it back in tomorrow to have it accurately weighed and tested in front of me. I fear that they may be offended that I want it tested again. Any thoughts on this course of action? I could always pick up a home test kit.

Thanks for all your time!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would not take it back for further analysis. And I still believe it's some sort of industrial silver bar with a weight of 24.57 toz.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I agree with you OPA. From all the searching I have done, I am confident it is either a backyard pour, or an industrial pour. I'm gunna hang onto it. It makes a great addition to my vintage stack and helps lower my average premium quite a bit.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am not familiar with it. Suspect it is a 1980 Hunt Brothers mania backyard pour.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: vetruvian
    Apologies on the original linked pictures. I am so accustomed to linking to imgur as I am a heavy user over at /r/Silverbugs. I have placed them inline in the post.

Now, as far as the bar goes, I never would have guessed the '24 57' might be a serial. But given the lack of any discernible decimal, its definitely a possibility. Thanks for the tip PerryHall.

It weighs in (on a USPS home scale) at 24.38 ozt. Sorry, my accurate scale only goes up to about 20 oz. I don't trust the USPS scale because it reads in oz and only goes to one significant figure. I'm gunna take it back to my LCS on Monday and have them weigh it.

'Silver' or any other mint name or logo is not on the bar at all. I have uploaded pictures of all the identifying marks.

I placed a magnet on the bar and there is absolutely no measurable attraction. The magnet falls off.

I frequent an LCS that is run by three guys. They are the most honest and knowledgeable people I have met in this trade. They test every piece of anything they ever buy. So when they told me they had tested it as usual, I didn't even think to second guess them. I may bring it back in tomorrow to have it accurately weighed and tested in front of me. I fear that they may be offended that I want it tested again. Any thoughts on this course of action? I could always pick up a home test kit.

Thanks for all your time!

Good to see a fellow /r/silverbug posting here too! Like other said on reddit, I think your bar is a backyard/basement pour. The "quality" of the pour and mold look amateurish (while it is a cool/unique bar) with all of the grainyness the bar shows and the stamp is backwards in the bar, haha. I doubt you'll find much more info as there are not much to go on. Good luck!

• Options
    Ya, I like the backwards stamp. I can't figure out if the smelter was trying to be clever, or just skrewed the pooch...
  • Options
    Did some digging on the Hunt Brothers. Fascinating stuff!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: vetruvian

Did some digging on the Hunt Brothers. Fascinating stuff!

Those were wild and crazy times. Silver refineries were backed up for months, so people started doing these backyard melts.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Still haven't been able to identify. I conducted the ice cube test on the bar this morning. Passed with flying colors. Bar was extremely cold when held in had afterward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHmsm8Znp4Y
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the postal scale reads postal ounces then multiply by .911 to convert to troy ounces. This would give you 22.21 troy ounces.

Industrial bar was my first thought as well. I'm certainly no expert but have never seen one with those markings.

be well, and welcome.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com