Home Precious Metals
Options

Where PM's should be...

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: renman95
    Look far right and all the way down

Yeah sure...and TV's probably at $100k....cars at $1 millionimage Somebody had a lot of time on their hands in creating that chart.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metals market is being manipulated???? Really??? $760 silver???? Oh my, my cambi gram bars at one gram each should be worth $24.44!!!

Okay, I see the debt and I see the real unemployment numbers (twice what the Gov't says). I guess those at least are real.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    When it says "personal debt per citizen", should that say per taxpayer? I ask because a new born baby is a "citizen"...most likely with no debt. Does a new born baby citizen with no debt get factored into the end number of participants?

So my question is, define "citizen" as to how it relates to the number given for it.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

When it says "personal debt per citizen", should that say per taxpayer? I ask because a new born baby is a "citizen"...most likely with no debt. Does a new born baby citizen with no debt get factored into the end number of participants?

So my question is, define "citizen" as to how it relates to the number given for it.

Debt is $60k for every man, woman and child in the U.S. $160k for every taxpayer. Total citizens outnumber taxpayers 2.7 to 1.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After paying off the corporate debt, I'm going to re-incorporate. And this will just cost more. I never should have touched anything metal in my life, the way it's going.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

After paying off the corporate debt, I'm going to re-incorporate. And this will just cost more. I never should have touched anything metal in my life, the way it's going.

Your life has just been too short...I've watched two run ups on metals and made huge gains on both...Just a buyer of silver and waiting for the next $50 oz sell. Be patient as it will happen again.

I buy silver every week it seems and just keep stacking....averaging it down for the moment. All is wonderful.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every American, large and small. US debt belongs to the people, theoretically they are the US.
    "We're running up the debt of our grandchildren" holds true.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb

Every American, large and small. US debt belongs to the people, theoretically they are the US.

My generation (millennial) is being screwed and I see no end in sight. I'm trying to be smart and pay my taxes up front by contributing a big chunk of my salary to my retirement through a Roth 401(k), but I'm sure a "bail in" will happen and I'll just get double screwed in the process. I see taxes ONLY going up from here.

Metals and cash look like the only viable options at this point for when "things" begin to correct themselves, whenever that may happen.

Don't even get me started on the Social Security i'm paying into that I have 0% chance of seeing....
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't "should" such a great word?

So useful.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Baley
    Isn't "should" such a great word?

So useful.

Almost as good as "maybe."

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Heavy metal image
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heavy metal image

Reminds me of the Sammy Hager song from '81 of the same name, "...ready to devour all the metal they can hold...It's your one way ticket to midnight...Call it heavy metal...Higher than high, feelin' just right...Call it heavy metal...So many contacts being made...We've got up front fanatics tearing down the barricade...Can you feel the rage?"

Oh to be a teenager again.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

Heavy metal image

Reminds me of the Sammy Hager song from '81 of the same name, "...ready to devour all the metal they can hold...It's your one way ticket to midnight...Call it heavy metal...Higher than high, feelin' just right...Call it heavy metal...So many contacts being made...We've got up front fanatics tearing down the barricade...Can you feel the rage?"

Oh to be a teenager again.

Sammy's early stuff with Montrose, the self titled one & the Standing Hampton albums are the sh*t, I still listen to them. The HSAS project is awesome too. "My Hometown", "She's Hot" ROCKS!

Sorry to get OT, you started it LOL
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ShadyDave

Don't even get me started on the Social Security i'm paying into that I have 0% chance of seeing....

A huge portion of us gen-xers aren't anticipating SS checks. Mid 40s, paycheck job or 2 since 15, and I'm not counting on it.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DrBuster

Originally posted by: ShadyDave

A huge portion of us gen-xers aren't anticipating SS checks. Mid 40s, paycheck job or 2 since 15, and I'm not counting on it.

I'm 62 and I'm not even figuring on receiving any SS checks. image

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just keep holding....and occasionally adding when a deal presents itself.... doing OK...

so not worried. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thank you and bless you rockers. We made the world go 'round when everyone else was square.

Speaking of SQuare and rocks…, I'm getting my nuts handed to me on a silver platter in the Investment Contest, on the boards, too image And as to the thread title here image :
    Where PMs should be …. is neatly stacked, or not. It depends on how much a guy likes the sound of the ring or thud. I've always liked the "sound" of both.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My generation (millennial) is being screwed and I see no end in sight. I'm trying to be smart and pay my taxes up front by contributing a big chunk of my salary to my retirement through a Roth 401(k), but I'm sure a "bail in" will happen and I'll just get double screwed in the process. I see taxes ONLY going up from here.

Metals and cash look like the only viable options at this point for when "things" begin to correct themselves, whenever that may happen.

Every plan must begin with a set of assumptions. I don't disagree with most of the assumptions that you make.

However, I jettisoned the idea that contributing a big chunk of my salary to an IRA, Roth or otherwise - was smart. I did that for years and years, kept the money in the markets, won & lost, paid taxes and deferred them, etc. I paid fees all the way 'round, of course.

I came to the realization that all of that was pretty much a big distraction, based on the idea that you can beat the market or stay even or not lose too much. On top of that realization, the markets these days are now more a mirage than they've ever been.

Earnings statements and profitability aren't based on a well-run operation or well-conceived products anymore. It's largely smoke & mirrors and political graft - with bureaucrats & politicians picking the winners & losers. The markets are largely dependent on new money creation by the Fed. What kind of "economy" is that? I call BS.

That being the case, you can still manage your finances and risk profile with precious metals. Risk can be diversified across the metals and across time. At least the metals are real, and they have no "counterparty risk". The value of precious metals is a universal and basic reality that hasn't been legislated away - at least not yet.

Taxes - can be managed by making sure that any gains are offset by accompanying losses when you need to liquidate (keeping the good stuff for savings). The way I see it, preservation of purchasing power is more worthy than making taxable gains at this juncture.

You can accomplish all of that by cost averaging in, and tax-managed liquidation when necessary.

All this reminds me of when I was a kid. When I played with my younger brother, I could win every time as long as I got to dictate the rules. The banks and gov.com work exactly the same way. Be advised.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52

Every plan must begin with a set of assumptions. I don't disagree with most of the assumptions that you make.

However, I jettisoned the idea that contributing a big chunk of my salary to an IRA, Roth or otherwise - was smart. I did that for years and years, kept the money in the markets, won & lost, paid taxes and deferred them, etc. I paid fees all the way 'round, of course.

I came to the realization that all of that was pretty much a big distraction, based on the idea that you can beat the market or stay even or not lose too much. On top of that realization, the markets these days are now more a mirage than they've ever been.

Earnings statements and profitability aren't based on a well-run operation or well-conceived products anymore. It's largely smoke & mirrors and political graft - with bureaucrats & politicians picking the winners & losers. The markets are largely dependent on new money creation by the Fed. What kind of "economy" is that? I call BS.

That being the case, you can still manage your finances and risk profile with precious metals. Risk can be diversified across the metals and across time. At least the metals are real, and they have no "counterparty risk". The value of precious metals is a universal and basic reality that hasn't been legislated away - at least not yet.

Taxes - can be managed by making sure that any gains are offset by accompanying losses when you need to liquidate (keeping the good stuff for savings). The way I see it, preservation of purchasing power is more worthy than making taxable gains at this juncture.

You can accomplish all of that by cost averaging in, and tax-managed liquidation when necessary.

All this reminds me of when I was a kid. When I played with my younger brother, I could win every time as long as I got to dictate the rules. The banks and gov.com work exactly the same way. Be advised.

I agree with what you noted above, but working for a big financial service company (who conveniently took TARP money in 08-09image) has its benefits image. Great pay, bonuses and benefits. I'd be dumb not to take advantage of the 401(k) match my company offers: 4% contribution for every full-time employee regardless of whether they contribute or not AND another 6% dollar for dollar match up to 6%. So I contribute 6% and have 16% of my salary contributed to a low cost target date mutual fund of my choice or if I think the market is going to tank, I can move my money to my employers "stable value" fund that is paying out 3% today (yes, 3%). Pretty much win-win right there, thanks to ERISA rules.

"Earnings statements and profitability aren't based on a well-run operation or well-conceived products anymore. It's largely smoke & mirrors and political graft - with bureaucrats & politicians picking the winners & losers. The markets are largely dependent on new money creation by the Fed. What kind of "economy" is that? I call BS."

I agree fundamentals have less and less to do with equity prices these days, but I've learned to not fight the fed.... for now.image

Long story short, I'm going to stay diversified and keep learning and stacking.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ShadyDave....or if I think the market is going to tank, I can move my money to my employers "stable value" fund that is paying out 3% today (yes, 3%). Pretty much win-win right there, thanks to ERISA rules....

I thought the same thing on my TRowe Price 401K back around 10-12 yrs ago. The Stable Value Fund seemed like a win-win partial safety net to ride out a storm. At that time I was also delving into otc derivatives. What I found in the Stable Value Fund were things labeled as "structured investment vehicles," and similar sounding names. After digging deeper, they were nothing more than interest rate derivatives and the like, whose liquidity and market value I had no idea about. From that point on I no longer used the SVF's. Any investment based on otc derivatives is hardly safe or fool-proof. How many interest rate (bond) derivatives are tied into the Valeant mess? How far and wide are they spread?

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Had a giveaway on the boards in '07 (Nov) to who could guess the day silver would hit $15. (Bochiman and another person each tied so they each received silver. Bochiman took Mercury dimes, as I recall). Silver hadn't been that high since my first tour in the Army when Carter was president. and it was hovering around $15 then, too. Now here we are 8+ years later than when we had that giveaway on the boards , and where's silver ? About $15. (same back then… about 8 years later it spiked and crashed)

Funny, but back in '73 when my draft # was 3, Nixon ended the draft, and I enlisted three years later….. yet, we had the GSA hoard released (Nixon Administration) , and they (GSA DOLLARS) were selling for $15.

Silver should be about $15 from that perspective image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb

We're running out of debt.

When a debtor gets in too far over his head he is insolvent. A point comes where there is zero chance he can pay it back and then it must end.

It's like a leaky bucket that's always losing its contents. People create wealth through mutually beneficial trades or through invention to fill the bucket but the leaks are always getting bigger and banker shenanigans just scoop straight out of the bucket. What's going in isn't nearly enough to keep all the leaks flowing so we borrow from the future until there no longer is a future.

We're running very short on future as proven by our choices for president. We're running short of debt.

Tempus fugit.