Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally picked up an 1815/2 CBH!

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's been years ... way too many years ... and the price just kept rising. Now I finally picked up an 1815/2 in my kind of grade.

imageimage
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    VF 25
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    VF20. Congrats. That is a tough coin.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pleasing look. congrats.

Tom

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    25 seems right.

Nice one. Great eye appeal.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be me but looks like a layer of pvc to my eyes
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Came close to buying that one but thought I saw some green. How's it in person?
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice score, congrats.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BustHalfBrian
    The obverse image (from seller) is not accurate. The color of the obverse is more like the reverse. I don't see any PVC residue, but I have not looked under a loupe yet. It's in PCGS plastic, so I don't anticipate any PVC residue.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BustHalfBrian
    On what part of the coin did you think you saw some green? I'll be sure and closely examine that area. I appreciate your eye.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin, especially for an 1815/2, which usually doesn't come with surfaces as nice as on this coin.

Grade guess is VF-25.

Congratulations!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    VF-20 image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

In with a VF20...the color seems alittle off, could be the sellers' pics.

Tough coin, Congrats!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like scans.

hmm how about vf30? unusual wear pattern. still like it.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Realone

Congrads on a wholesome coin, now can someone please point out where the "2" might be?

thanks

• Options
    Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC
    looks like scans.

hmm how about vf30? unusual wear pattern. still like it.

I am not following what you mean by an unusual wear pattern. Can you help me understand what is unusual about the wear? It looks normal to me.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess vf30; nice looking example!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you got what you wanted. Congratulations.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, astrorat! Looks like a nice, wholesome choice.

PCGS has removed PVC from several slabbed coins, at my request (but not for free). So don't assume all is good just because of the slab. The crap doesn't appear right away.

I suspect the areas around the stars and the legend, but I see traces around the larger devices too. It looks easily corrected with an acetone dip.

Lance.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF30. Congrats, very tough coin.
    mirabela
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with what Lance said and guess 25.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats astrorat on a tough coin. I too have been waiting for the price on these to come down to no avail.

I was offered an NGC 58 for 12K about a decade ago and now wish I had thought about that one a little longer.

Your coin shows beautiful wear but the images do show that dull greenish cast on the obverse, especially around the stars. Scope it when you can to be sure and as Lance has said, acetone should clear that right up if it is PVC.

Nice coin image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Barndog
    Congrads on a wholesome coin, now can someone please point out where the "2" might be?
    thanks

Oh shoot, it will take a forensic expert to see that one........thanks Barndog!
    There is only one die marriage for 1815, so all of the coins are 1815/2. You are correct, however, it is a very subtle overdate relative to 1814/3 and 1817/3.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF 20.

Congrats!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a solid 25 to me. It's the only date I lack too! Congrats!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    The coin does appear to have a small amount of residue on the obverse (perhaps PVC) around Liberty and some of the stars. I will keep the coin (as I really like the surfaces, the even wear, and patina (other than the minor residue) and submit it to PCGS for its restoration service. I am sure I can remove the residue with issue, but prefer to rely on PCGS for a coin of this value. Thanks to Lance for his counsel on this coin! One more closer to 450 die marriages ... just 15 to go!

The coin is in a current generation PCGS holder graded VF-35.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it a lot. A little greenish halo around the devices, if it is even there, is usually not a sign of PVC. On Bust halves, the PVC residue usually turns up on the highest points of the coin, which would be the same places that wear spots are visible. I usually look at the clasp and the hair curls around the ear for signs of PVC. There are actually a lot of circ. Bust halves out there with PVC residue, so it's worth looking closely at raw coins offered for sale. I would have guessed PCGS VF25 or NGC VF30 on this one had the OP not just posted it.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not disputing those two little specks are not part of a 2.
    But I just don't see itimage
  • Options
    The 1815/2 is currently with our host awaiting their magic!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Good luck, astrorat! Let's see the "after" pix.

I know no one is doubting the overdate...it's not really debatable...but maybe this animation helps to visualize it.

Lance.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just realized I have been staring at that overlay for about 5 minutes. Thanks Lance!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mesmerizing .Thanks Lance
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the grade. The left wing is weakly struck, not worn.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks VF 20 or 25 to me.

Glad you finally snagged a nice one!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very original! I say VF25.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Here is the update ... thus far ...

Four days ago I received the coin back from PCGS. The coin was returned in the same holder. So, the coin appears to have been administratively processed and perhaps examined, but not examined outside the holder.

What's disappointing is that there was no explanation as to what was done with the coin. Also, there was no invoice for any service.

I immediately sent an email to customer service and the restoration email address asking for help understanding about what happened, but I received no response. I waited a couple of days and sent a follow up email ... no response yet either.

Anybody else had a similar experience with PCGS restoration?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Hmm. Two reasons why PCGS would return a restoration candidate without treating it: 1) They didn't want to (disagreed on the need, felt it was improper, or didn't think they could help its condition), and 2) They screwed up.

In my experience, when PCGS felt they couldn't help the coin a note to that effect was included.

I would use the phone instead of email. Sometimes I've had to wait a week or two for an email reply.

Lance.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

Good luck, astrorat! Let's see the "after" pix.

I know no one is doubting the overdate...it's not really debatable...but maybe this animation helps to visualize it.

Lance.

Love it! image

• Options
    Here is an update ...

I received an invoice for the coin. The item description was "Regrade - Restoration (Not Restorable). A service fee of $10 was charged (for the evaluation, I assume).

Any thoughts on what would generate a "not restorable" for a coin slabbed in a current PCGS holder? Perhaps the "green" was not PVC?

Hopefully I will get a reply from PCGS or be able to speak with someone at PCGS about what transpired.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first assumption would be that they did not think it was PVC.

I also think that some communication is owed.

Maybe there will be a note of explanation.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Well ... I never did hear back from PCGS regarding why the coin was not selected for restoration service other than a standard, "because the grader probably didn't think it would benefit the coin." Despite asking several times for a clear answer, I was not able to break through for a direct answer.

So ... I decided to send the coin to CAC (along with 19 of his little buddies). The coin should be through the review process soon and we'll see what JA thinks of the 1815/2 half dollar.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a really nice 1815/2. Greenish oxidation is not always PVC damage. I agree with PCGS's decision not to attempt restoration. I think it will get a "Green" bean- LOL. image

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF25
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin and a great animation Lance.......
    I only owned one '15 in my life. It was a fine, but holed. It did have some nice, colorful, original album toning. I ended up consigning it to another dealer who didn't have any luck moving it. But when he returned it, the album toning color was gone. I probably didn't memo him anything after that.
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Dang! looks just like mine!
  • Options
    I received an email from CAC ... and the 1815/2 PCGS VF-35 was awarded a green bean!

So ... it looks like greenish toning was just that ... toning and not PVC.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on such a beautiful and rare piece. Super nice indeed????
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file