Home U.S. Coin Forum

3 VERY RARE COINS FOUND IN INHERITED COLLETION

https://youtu.be/h49gpyraZu8

Hello everyone. A long time ago I inherited a coin collection from my father. There were very rare coins found inside so check out this amazing collection.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not notice any extremely or very rare coins in that somewhat out of focus video.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OPA:

I agree. But what I did notice is a son's desire to continue his father's collection and that I find neat. Though it probably would have been neater with a bit of narration and a LOT more focusing. image
    Mark

• garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    The coins are in nice condition. Nothing rare though. Nice inheritance.
  • RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a very nice group of coins! Thanks for sharing them here.
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! The almost continually moving and OOF video makes it hard on the viewer's eyes and difficult to appreciate what appears to be a fairly decent collection. It would be much more easy for others to critique/enjoy if you had made a still photos slide show presentation. Thanks for sharing though.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see:
    US Coins:
    - 1941-S Mercury Dime, Numistrust slab MS-66 FB
    - 1944 Mercury Dime, Numistrust slab MS-66 FB
    - 1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar, NGC MS-65
    - 1938-S Jefferson Nickel, NGC MS-67
    - 1945-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar, PCGS MS-66
    - 1892-O Barber Quarter, NGC MS-64
    - 1877 Liberty Seated Quarter, NGC MS-64
    - 1938-S Oregon Half Dollar, PCGS MS-67
    - 1936 Albany Half Dollar, PCGS MS-66
    - 1871 California Gold quarter dollar, BG-838, PCGS AU-58

Ancient coins:
    - Roman, Luccius, 130-169 AD, label looks like a dealer in Palo Alto, CA
    - Constantine the Great, 307-337 AD
    - Antioch Mint (only reverse side shown)
    - copper coin in flip with brown label, unreadable
    - copper coin in flip with brown label, unreadable

Several are nice coins, but not what coin collectors would call "Very Rare" -
    that term is reserved for coins that can't be easily found at a coin show (even if expensive).
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a good selection of coins to begin learning about the hobby.

And yes, the cinematography looks like it's from a graduate of the "Alien Encounter Film School." image ... just kidding, of course!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some very nice coins in there that I would consider rare.

Some worth more than $500, more over $200... (true there are not any $100K or $10K..)

A much better inheritance than a bunch of bank wrapped rolls of statehood quarters,
    or old damaged silver from the 50's-60's.

Welcome to the boards Jolteon, don't let the critics get you down.
  • TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Some of you are a very tough audience. The kid is very proud of his coins and yes, some of them are very nice coins. Some of you could try to be a little more encouraging than always finding a way to be a critic.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not a bad inheritance
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: johnny9434
    not a bad inheritance

Did it include the gold in his other post?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice coins there... would love to see better pictures.... Cheers, RickO
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coins.
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    "Some of you are a very tough audience. The kid is very proud of his coins and yes, some of them are very nice coins. Some of you could try to be a little more encouraging than always finding a way to be a critic. "
    x2

lets see some of the million dollar "portfolios" of the critics
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have some nice stuff there, heck of a set to start out with that's for sure!

Collector, occasional seller

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ebaybuyer

KEEP your f&^%*ing mouth shut. there is a severe scarcity of social skills on this forum

This has turned me off on more than one occasion.

Many happy BST transactions
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ChrisH821
    You have some nice stuff there, heck of a set to start out with that's for sure!

But there is no need for starting 10 separate posts...One is sufficient. BTW, how old are you?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool group! I especially like the seated quarter and the Oregon and Albany commemoratives. Congrats, thanks for sharing. image
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a very nice group of quality coins; my faves are the same ones as Slammer. If you plan to continue collecting that is a great core collection to start with.
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But you did get us all to watch your you tube video
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any inheritance is a windfall. I share in your joy as much as your grief in losing a loved one. The loved one who left this is my kinda guy / gal .
  • Originally posted by: davewesen

There are some very nice coins in there that I would consider rare.

Some worth more than $500, more over $200... (true there are not any $100K or $10K..)

A much better inheritance than a bunch of bank wrapped rolls of statehood quarters,

or old damaged silver from the 50's-60's.

Welcome to the boards Jolteon, don't let the critics get you down.

Yes maybe the title was misleading but thank you for that. Means a lot

• Originally posted by: 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD

...real classy bro...way to go in doing your best to discourage the next generation of numismatists.

If the next generation is a bunch of narcissistic unrelenting LOOK AT ME bunch, then fine. We had what, ten or more 'welcome' posts in the last week? No problemo. I really don't want to be part of the glicker board, or the other one running up his post count with nonsense posts - or this guy. And if he doesn't slow up - as he has already been told - he's gonna get plonked, since we can do that now. image

DeliaBug:

Whichever side of the bed you got out of this morning, I strongly urge that you switch to the other side tomorrow. Jolteon already apologized in another thread way before your post in this thread. I thought his enthusiasm was admirable. I hope he sticks around, learns, and contributes.

Oh, DeliaBug, I note that you are posting at a significantly more rapid clip than me. You have 900 posts in 3 years while I have 3500 in 15 years. Perhaps I should suggest that you, too, slow down you posting...but if I did (which I won't) I would surely be a lot more polite than you were to Jolteon.
    Mark

• Originally posted by: Mark

DeliaBug:

Whichever side of the bed you got out of this morning, I strongly urge that you switch to the other side tomorrow. Jolteon already apologized in another thread way before your post in this thread. I thought his enthusiasm was admirable. I hope he sticks around, learns, and contributes.

Oh, DeliaBug, I note that you are posting at a significantly more rapid clip than me. You have 900 posts in 3 years while I have 3500 in 15 years. Perhaps I should suggest that you, too, slow down you posting...but if I did (which I won't) I would surely be a lot more polite than you were to Jolteon.

I may have been a bit harsh, I'll accept that. But if he apologized way before my post, I am not seeing it. And btw - he didn't.

As for the extrapolation bullshit I agree. I'll slow down - to nothing. I will let you enjoy the shipping posts, all of the 'this belongs in an ebay forum' posts, and all of the other irrelevant minutia that most of the posts in this new 'Open Forum' that used to be a coin forum are.

Peace. I'm out.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DeliaBug
    Originally posted by: Mark
    DeliaBug:

I may have been a bit harsh, I'll accept that. But if he apologized way before my post, I am not seeing it. And btw - he didn't.

As for the extrapolation bullshit I agree. I'll slow down - to nothing. I will let you enjoy the shipping posts, all of the 'this belongs in an ebay forum' posts, and all of the other irrelevant minutia that most of the posts in this new 'Open Forum' that used to be a coin forum are.

Peace. I'm out.

...good riddance image

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Popcorn thread. image
    DeliaBug:

Curse you DeliaBug, your profanity will likely get this thread nuked, which will then lower my post count by 2, or actually 3 if you count this post, because I believe posts in nuked threads no longer count. And goodness knows that I need more posts to boost my count.

Mark

These are my favorite places to socialize.

1) Elevator
    2) On public transportation (bus, train, plane)
    3) Open market (WalMart, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc.)
    4) Drive-thru Fast Food Joints ( they're always fun )
    5) Laundromats ( People hate doing laundry )
    6) U.S. Coin Forum
    7) Library

My least favorite places to socialize :

1) Cemeteries
    2) Seances
    3) Brothels
    4) Tupperware parties
    5) Hotel Lobby
    6) Coin Shops
    7) Beanie Baby Conventions

Sorry to go off topic and ramble.
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Don't get out much? I think the last one was in 1997
    lol 'stang. I was just making stuff up , on the fly.
  • unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for the loss of a loved one.

Monetary value aside, there is more importantly sentimental value.

Coin collecting is an interesting hobby.

It can be a treasure hunt for the thrifty or a ego trip for the self important.

My favorite piece is a $10 Token from a mill town located in my state.

Pity the haters and enjoy the journey.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Mark
    DeliaBug:

Curse you DeliaBug, your profanity will likely get this thread nuked, which will then lower my post count by 2, or actually 3 if you count this post, because I believe posts in nuked threads no longer count. And goodness knows that I need more posts to boost my count.

Nah, the count remains! image
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough crowd.
    Have a nice day
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    These are my favorite places to socialize.

1) Elevator
    2) On public transportation (bus, train, plane)
    3) Open market (WalMart, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc.)
    4) Drive-thru Fast Food Joints ( they're always fun )
    5) Laundromats ( People hate doing laundry )
    6) U.S. Coin Forum
    7) Library

1) Cemeteries
    2) Seances
    3) Brothels
    4) Tupperware parties
    5) Hotel Lobby
    6) Coin Shops

Sorry to go off topic and ramble.

Love this. image

• Thank you all for the wonderful comments except dellabug I'm glad you said peace and I'm out because I don't want you posting on any threads I start ever again.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listen to unclebob, He's a wise man.

I'm sorry for your loss, too, and hope that you find some comfort and enjoyment in owning these coins.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Thank you
  • Thank you all for the wonderful comments!
  • It means a lot it really does
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey J,

Enjoy the hobby. It is a LOT of fun.

As in all human endeavors you'll meet some really nice people and some jerks. That is part of life's journey.

Realize that (at least for the vast majority of people) this is a hobby. Enjoy it for what it is... meeting some good people; the hunt for coins; the coins that you find and buy; and last but not least, history/art/politics/money in your hand.

Have FUN!
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    He has some very nice coins. Perhaps no super rare coins, but IMO a great start to what could be a great collection.

Hopefully he catches a hopeless case of the coin collecting bug, and acquires as nice and nicer coins to grow the collection.

Edit to add: I am sorry for your loss. I know what it like, as my dad has been gone for ten years this coming August.

It is something time never completely heals.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file