Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need help with a penny I found

[URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-cVtVM_-i4]youtube video

My Big question is what is it. Believe it or not I found this in a penny box in the first roll I opened! You can see before playing the video, some of the 5 you can see on the center of the obverse! There are pictures in the video of the coin. Thank You any comments would be great!

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that 5 is post mint damage....

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's called a counterstamp, or countermark. It happened outside of the mint. There's really no telling why someone chose to put it there. It's not really worth anything in this case, but it's fun.

I've got a counterstamped coin in my collection, as it happens.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMD

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Searching is a passion. Looks like you've got the bug. (It's called the "Geek Virus" in certain circles) You're in good company, anyway. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't access Utube you want help. My computer will not run it because of virus concerns. Please use still pictures.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BillJones
    Please don't access Utube you want help. My computer will not run it because of virus concerns. Please use still pictures.

Yes, in this case photos would be so much better.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    post mint damage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photographs...not videos.... please.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    In my opinion videos are a nice change than just seeing the regular photo. Thank you for the information about the penny!
  • Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful comments!
  • Options
    It means a lot it really does
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Jolteon, please go away or show some respect for the forum. Commenting on all your threads to bump them back to page 1 is not cool.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to add, you are putting us all at risk by providing links instead of actual photos.
  • Options
    You know what fine I understand I am not welcome here I'll just leave the forum ok good day!
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whoa there

just cause people gripe isn't a reason to flee the forum

learn from those gripes and understand why they griped in the first place and do better

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post while you still can as these seem to be going "poof" one by one.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People don't want to open videos because they are justifiably afraid of letting viruses loose onto their computers.

That is why people here want to see still pictures and not videos. It's real simple to understand.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jolteon
    You know what fine I understand I am not welcome here I'll just leave the forum ok good day!

I was just beginning to enjoy your enthusiasm, even if I'd rather watch documentaries about metal detecting, on You Tube…. but that's just me.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invoke the 'grasshopper rule'

New members must have 50+ substantial posts to sell on BST & are limited to 2-5 posts per day until a mod can make up his/her mind.

I admit, his threads are amusing, in a short bus kind of way.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was be kind to trolls week , guess not. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file