Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

World War 1 Commemorative

claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
I previously suggested a Peace Dollar retro design. I also think an Alvin York obverse with the Peace Dollar eagle reverse would make sense.

If enough ideas are posted, I can set a poll for voting.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did it in 1921.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that war deserves to be commemorated at all. It was an atrocity and a prime example of the failure of diplomacy conducted by a bunch of old men who got a generation of young men killed and maimed. Following that war the old men botched it up again with a treaty that sowed the seeds for World War II.

At least World War II resulted in the defeat of the Axis and Japan. Both of those regimes deserved to be dumped in the dust bin of history.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Bill.... shoddy, incompetent diplomacy was at the root of the wars... much like

we are dealing with today...... When diplomats fail, good men die. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I agree that it was a horrible war that really didn't solve anything. Maybe show a soldier giving a drink from his canteen to a wounded man like the 1995 Civil War Commem Dollar? Any other design I could think of would be something gruesome like a pile of corpses wearing gas masks.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obverse of Lorado Taft's rejected 1935 Society of Medalists design might be appropriate. The design depicts a skeletal figure with arms outstretched holding wreaths of laurel over the heads of two soldiers pointing pistols at each other while diplomats stand close behind them. The medal is illustrated in the book "The Old Guard and the Avant-Garde Modernism in Chicago, 1910-1940", University of Chicago Press, 1990. The medal was never produced by anyone. The photos in the book are of the plasters.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen several European post war medals over the years and they as a group did not in anyway glorify the war...in fact they all had a similar theme of focusing on the horror of the war which was unlike anything the world had ever seen. Those type of medals seem to reflect more the thoughts of the participants once it was over and should be considered for a new commem. But...it's gotta sell so who knows. I would like to see a Peace Dollar based commem personally.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of WWI Victory Medals and they may be a good theme to commemorate. There are a lot of issues at the nation, state, city, and other levels. They also tend to have nice allegorical designs. While numismatists may be limited to HK listed medals, there are fairly advanced collectors of these coming from a military medal collector focus.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    WWII was just WWI fought over again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file