Home Precious Metals

Opinions of the newest Panda coins?

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see they have gone to 30 grams vs a troy ounce on the silver and gold pandas.

What do you guys think of that? Like? Dislike?

I've heard complaints about it from some collectors, though I find it interesting, myself.
Besides, do the Panda coins really trade that close to spot?
I don't find the 1.1 gram difference to be a problem.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pandas have never traded close to spot and I'm with the weight "should have remained" 1 oz crowd.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I agree...should have remained 1 oz.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Don't like it. They should have stayed with the ounce on silver and gold as well as fractionals on gold. They did away with the 1/20 and substituted a one gram on the gold.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    It is good to complete the 34 year run of my 1 troz gold panda series (1982 - 2015) and a good opportunity for new comers to start their metric panda collection starting with 2016.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re-sellers will have trouble competing for buyers who are looking for one ounce coins.

Rome taught us what happens when a nation starts reducing the gold/silver content of it's coins. image

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rome taught us what happens when a nation starts reducing the gold/silver content of it's coins.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: asheland
    Rome taught us what happens when a nation starts reducing the gold/silver content of it's coins.

As did the United States in 1933 and 1964. The prices jumped for those "commodities" right after these metals were removed from our hands.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like it but I beleive it is part of China's plan to take over the World's Reserve Currency Status from The United States.

I also believe that a UFO crashed at Roswell New Mexico and that Oswald wasn't the lone shooter of JFK. image
    GrandAm :)
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is like reducing the weight of candy bars, but keeping the same price - changing bags of

sugar from 5 lbs to 4 lbs... but same price. I do not like it... Cheers, RickO
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Just got off the phone with China...They don't care what you think.

Loves me some shiny!
  • element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a metric weight for bullion. I know many here are fond of the troy ounce weight unit, but really, that weight system is an anachronism who time has passed.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the bright side, I believe a Chinaman gets beheaded if he counterfeits his own coin or currency. These might be "safe."

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some pandas they never trade at spot so it makes no difference. Speaking of weight though , weren't the early year Pandas less than a troy ounce and/or not .999 silver?
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no reason to buy Chinese gold. There's plenty of other options.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb
    On the bright side, I believe a Chinaman gets beheaded if he counterfeits his own coin or currency. These might be "safe."

They may be safe from "Mainland China" counterfeiters, but not from the rest of the world. In addition, they have been counterfeited before.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52

I don't see why you would avoid panda gold. I sold off a series of 1/4 ounce pandas for an average of 75 over spot each as gold price was dropping in 2013.

I did not pay that kind of premium on the way up , they were bought in the year of issue and I only paid 20 or 25 over at purchase generally. . Recovering a premium like that is like having a time machine and going back in time to sell at a higher spot.image

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52

So very true. I've never had any interest in chicom coins especially considering their abysmal human rights record. As long as the spot price of gold is quoted for a Troy ounce, the one ounce gold coins will be the most popular size and the easiest to sell.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: carew4me

Just got off the phone with China...They don't care what you think.

Will they care if they lose market share?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    China is the only country who's airspace is in meters (Russia use to be). For example, when flying from Japan to China, we might be cruising at FL310 when talking to *****uoka Control. Once we get switched to Shanghai, they give us 9,100 meters, which is 31,100. So, because China wants to be special, we have to climb a hundred feet. We have a meters/feet switch that converts our altitude. We still have to crosscheck with a plastic card that have standard altitude conversions. Because of this I refuse to buy the new metric pandas. ;-)
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: renman95
    China is the only country who's airspace is in meters (Russia use to be). For example, when flying from Japan to China, we might be cruising at FL310 when talking to *****uoka Control. Once we get switched to Shanghai, they give us 9,100 meters, which is 31,100. So, because China wants to be special, we have to climb a hundred feet. We have a meters/feet switch that converts our altitude. We still have to crosscheck with a plastic card that have standard altitude conversions. Because of this I refuse to buy the new metric pandas. ;-)

What happens if you don't climb 100 feet more does it make a difference? Like why do they have to be special in creating all these rules? If you did not comply will you be hitting one of their skyscrapers or something?
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CCC2010
    Originally posted by: renman95

What happens if you don't climb 100 feet more does it make a difference? Like why do they have to be special in creating all these rules? If you did not comply will you be hitting one of their skyscrapers or something?

The controllers yell at you if you do not immediately comply. No kidding. Very impatient. Zubie can attest to this.

If I'm at skyscraper altitude I'm AFU. ;-)