Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$14,915.30

An interesting article highlighted in this weeks E-Sylum from a Coin Week article. So one would need just about $15 grand just to buy all the U. S. Mint products for 2015.

Guess they didn't learn from the post office what this does to the collecting base.

Comments

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    Although it is high, in retrospect; the gold, silver, and platinum products the mint makes represent a far better store of value than stamps.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge and wisdom still rule the king
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is likely that the flood of expensive new issues is driving away potential collectors and causing active collectors to either become more selective in their new issue purchases or drop them altogether.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth

I think it is likely that the flood of expensive new issues is driving away potential collectors and causing active collectors to either become more selective in their new issue purchases or drop them altogether.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet that that does not cover shipping, either.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also agree with 291fifth. However, many major mints are doing the same thing. I quit buying yearly mint products 25 years ago, and sold everything I had in 2007 (going back to 1950 proof sets).
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    But you can flip them on eBay for $10,000
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thank you, I would rather put that kind of money into my U.S. Type Set, rather than today's modern stuff.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The USM appears to be the world's largest coin dealer. Just have not been a buyer of it bc it usually goes down in aftermarket. I only buy stuff there is possibility I can make a decent profit on NOW. If you like mod USM gold coins a shop near me offers 97% of melt on these as the refiner pays 98%.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    But you can flip them on eBay for $10,000

But then Ebay will take $1,500image

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $15K is not so bad, a few years ago there was a $40K+ year
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When was the last time a refiner melted a modern gold coin ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amazing stuff.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can think of better things to spend money on then what the US mint is making nowadays

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: silverpop
    I can think of better things to spend money on then what the US mint is making nowadays

Would that be a down payment on the new Camaro or Mustang?

I prefer to feel, hear and taste the exhaust note.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Far too much for the average collector IMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monopoly clad trash. Read it somewhere.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so happy that this is not my collecting focus!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG
    I'll bet that that does not cover shipping, either.

bobimage

What are they worth today??image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Ablinky
    Although it is high, in retrospect; the gold, silver, and platinum products the mint makes represent a far better store of value than stamps.

True, but a huge number of stamps sell for less than face value. The night I spent putting discount postage on the mail-outs for my local club almost made me into to a collector ... image ... almost. image

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DeliaBug
    An interesting article highlighted in this weeks E-Sylum from a Coin Week article. So one would need just about $15 grand just to buy all the U. S. Mint products for 2015.

Guess they didn't learn from the post office what this does to the collecting base.

$15 grand sounds better than it used to be. Years ago I heard that the number to keep up with all of the new mint stuff was over $30 grand.

This excessive amount of mint stuff ended my project of having EVERY U.S. type coin. Now I just say I go up to the 1990s or so. The platinum coins really ended it for me followed by all of those Buffalo coins.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BillJones

Originally posted by: DeliaBug

$15 grand sounds better than it used to be. Years ago I heard that the number to keep up with all of the new mint stuff was over $30 grand.

This excessive amount of mint stuff ended my project of having EVERY U.S. type coin. Now I just say I go up to the 1990s or so. The platinum coins really ended it for me followed by all of those Buffalo coins.

For the record, the $15 grand covers COINS only, and doesn't include bullion. All of those Buffaloes and Silver Eagles and however many versions of Gold Eagles there are --- those are extra. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely buy mint products anymore.... I do get ASE's for any births in the family....

and have found good sources for stacking gold without bothering the mint. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be shocked if there were more than a handful of eccentric individual collectors who buy one of everything the mint puts out every year.

A few businesses might do it, and multiples of many issues, but seriously, very few citizens do it. The fact that there's so much variety speaks to the mint serving the factions

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year I did an article in COINage where I summed up the total cost of everything from 2014 at about $25,100, plus or minus a few hundred dollars because some bullion-related items rose and/or fell over the course of the year. Of course, I counted the four proof gold eagle singles PLUS the four-piece set, etc.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file