Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cac Gold

GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
When I look at dealer inventories, gold cac coins are definitely hard to find. Why does it seem that gold coins are harder to find than non-gold with the sticker ? I would think that the same percentage of stabbed coins for gold would qualify as solid for the grade as non-gold unless tpg has historically been easier on gold. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    For generic gold, here was a period of time when uncirculated gold was systematically overgraded by the TPGs. JA, Legend and others have stated that very little US gold in MS63-65 holders is truly solid at those grades, so that's a factor. Survivability is another- gold is heavy and was frequently shipped back and forth across the continents and oceans in bags, so it's often found with heavy contact marks, which will limit the grade. A third is popularity. In certain series like no-motto SF gold, collectors like myself have been known to massively overpay for CAC-approved pieces. They are quite scarce and always priced at a premium, and the market for CAC-approved branch mint gold has been hot since at least the Broadus Littlejohn sale a few years back.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think this one would CAC ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John at CAC is a wizard on gold and he is a toughie on stickering them - IMHO.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sale? And yes I think it would sticker and maybe gold.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bidask

The two hits above the nose may hurt it, but that's a gorgeous half eagle.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: grip
    For sale? And yes I think it would sticker and maybe gold.

Maybe

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two hits above the nose may hurt it, but that's a gorgeous half eagle.

There coins are bound have a hit or two somewhere. Gold is so soft that marks are bound to occur.

Here is a 1907 No Motto eagle that is a PCGS MS-64 with CAC approval.

imageimage

This 1927 double eagle also has a CAC sticker and is graded MS-65. I am buried in this one. I bought it when gold was high, but at least it's a very nice coin.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

• Options
    Do you think this one would CAC ......the colors are fabulous !

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one for you: image
  • Options
    This was a beast but no longer mine ??

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Close but no cigar
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

I doubt this one has any chance due to the hit on cheek and chin. I saw many blast luster coins that failed to be beaned because of this.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did somebody say CAC Gold?

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS MS-62 with a CAC Gold Sticker!
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    You may have a point. I know when I put out my emails with new purchases, the first (expensive) coins to go are typically the CAC'd gold coins.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jcping

I doubt this one has any chance due to the hit on cheek and chin. I saw many blast luster coins that failed to be beaned because of this.

Lookes iodined so no cac
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    95-98% of the potential CAC-gold, gold coins were "lost" when most upgrades in rattlers and ogh's were done in the 1989-2008 era. A lot of those would have gold stickered simply because a 63-64 $20 Saint from 1989 is often found in a 65 or higher holder today. The wide shift in grading from 1998-2008 forced a lot of crack outs just to get back some of your money from the 1993-2000 crash in gold (and generic gold coin) prices. An MS64 Saint in 1989 was a $1,500-$2,000 coin. The only way to get a decent portion of your money back by 2002 was to get those into 65 (or 66) holders. No one knew back then that CAC was coming to town in 2008 and gold stickers could bail those out as well...often better than just a 1 point upgrade.

I remember bidding on 100-200 lots of rattler $20's in a Stack's auction around 2003-2004 (MS62's to MS64's). This was a very fresh, unpicked deal. I ended up with several dozen coins. The real choice under-grades I didn't bid high enough to win. These were all sight-unseen bids too. About half of those coins upgraded 1 pt. after I resubmitted them. I ended up keeping about half of them. When those went to CAC in November 2008 the majority of those stickered....maybe 2/3. But, I was quite surprised at how many didn't. Only got several CAC golds out of that group of "leftovers." Unmessed with & original surfaces on CAC gold is often more important than how many marks there are.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roadunner stated:

...........When those went to CAC in November 2008 the majority of those stickered....maybe 2/3. But, I was quite surprised at how many didn't. Only got several CAC golds out of that group of "leftovers." Unmessed with & original surfaces on CAC gold is often more important than how many marks there are.

I can vouch for roadrunner's comments as I was there and was a ready and willing buyer for ALL of his gold that stickered !

I was also somewhat surprised how many did not sticker as well.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't often buy gold, but when I do they are stickered

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious like! image
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I markup CAC coins 15% higher than non cac which is essentially an industry average. It is not easy to move these at this higher price, hence not the win win situation I am looking for so not much motivation to send these thru the mail paying shipping and stickering costs. The people I sell to know how to look at coins and do not need a sticker in order to make a buying decision especially at shows where price competition is brutal. Many of my gold coins are MS69 Mods not that far above melt. There are online dealers with 100% CAC inventories and if you will pay the money I am sure you can find what your looking for. CAC coins are a very small portion of the total TPG coins on ebay. I have found CAC coins hard to sell bc of the higher cost recovery markups involved.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file