Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Purchases from a New Guy

jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
[URL=http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/jonruns/media/FirstLastObverse_zpsskcportz.jpg.html]image[/URL]

I spent some time in the world of Currency but recently decided to return to my first love: Coins

Don't know why...but I'm not coordinated enough to do two hobbies at the same time...LOL...

I really like the Liberty Head No Motto $5...my two new pickups reflect the first and last dates (for me) of that series...

- Jon

Comments

• msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow...great coins! The 1839 to 1861 run of No Motto Half Eagles would be a cool set if you ask me (I've actually toyed with the idea of putting it together). The 1839 in AU58 and the 1861 in MS63 is setting the bar pretty high for yourself...you don't see uncirculated No Motto Half Eagles that often. Hope you'll get some good pics and keep us posted on your progress. Again, great pickups...congrats!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice - I'd love to own ANY 1839 gold piece some day!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool bookends!
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats very nice pair image

Would love to see better photos of both obverse/reverse.

I've always preferred the small letter no motto's and starting out with a first year issue is really groovy image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Very nice - congrats!
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeowza! Those are nice puppies, congrats!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [URL=http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/jonruns/media/1861 5 PCGS 63 CAC_zpsosltcfgy.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/jonruns/media/1861 MS63_zpsv8tihqlg.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Thanks for looking...personally I think the high quality photos can be a bit mis-leading...by example...I think the 1861 looks better in hand than the professional photos...but also when in hand...the black stuff that is stuck to the hair behind the ear is more apparent...

msch1man -- I have no plans to complete the series...I did that with Peace Dollars back in my youth...and more recently with $500 bills all in MS grades...I'm toying with the idea of getting a better grade example from each mint from some of the key/popular dates...I'd rather have a couple of nice ones that I can look at every day...than a big box of slabs in the SD box...that I look at once a year...LOL...maybe the 1861-C, 1838-D...the likely suspects...

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great hobby. Nice choices. I like 'em all.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool gold ??
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    Great hobby. Nice choices. I like 'em all.

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful old gold.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous examples!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

Very nice!

+1

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very pretty ladies.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Home Run of a coin! spring training begins.......
    Easton Collection
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got some lookers there.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite nice. No, really, really nice. I love em both. Nice pick ups from the new guyimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    excellent coins

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely and you received the difficult CAC on gold coins.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very nice.... I really like old gold....Cheers, RickO
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    You are a better man than me. That singular dark spot in the middle of the coin would annoy me. I had an 1875-CC 20C that was just like your 1861...a beautiful PL coin in a PC61 holder with CAC sticker. But eventually the single dark spot in the center of an otherwise beautiful coin got to me and so I sold it. No regrets as a better one came along at a better price point

Anyhow if you don't mind the dark spot, the the rest of the coin is very nice image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like some super good gold. nice scores image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mercurydimeguy
    You are a better man than me. That singular dark spot in the middle of the coin would annoy me. I had an 1875-CC 20C that was just like your 1861...a beautiful PL coin in a PC61 holder with CAC sticker. But eventually the single dark spot in the center of an otherwise beautiful coin got to me and so I sold it. No regrets as a better one came along at a better price point

Anyhow if you don't mind the dark spot, the the rest of the coin is very nice image

I can appreciate this post as a fellow collector/dealer/board member/cherrypicking geek.
    The more I strive, the more critical I become. The perfectionist in me, perhaps. image
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice gold!
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the grade, those both look WONDERFUL!

Thanks for sharing!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh! Very lovely! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file