Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I don't often get distracted, but wow...

I was just scrolling through Atlas's new additions, when this one caught my eye. I don't usually go for gold, or anything outside of Spanish Colonials, but wow. What a jaw dropper!

And the original envelope from the late 60's! (boy, definitely appreciated in value since then)

POLAND. Danzig. 1647 GR AV 2 Ducat. NGC AU58. Crowned bust of Wladislaus IV in inner circle / City of Danzig in inner circle, date and arms in exergue. KM 35; Friedberg 21a.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is outstanding
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    James always seems to have great coins in stock. I paused over this piece too.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing. His inventory is nicer than that of many museums. Love the MS-67 Sede Vacante taler.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice along with the surfaces image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice, i like
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love browsing Atlas and enjoying the eyecandy, though most of their inventory is out of my reach.

I did manage to buy one piece from them at a reasonable price.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Atlas has had a terrific start of the year, having lready sold some EXCEPTIONAL Greek gold coins lately, the only one left being this 1876 50 drs gold NGC MS60 (mintage 182, survivors unknown, yours truly has an AU58)

1035982 | GREECE. George I. 1876-A AV 50 Drachmai. NGC MS60. Head right / Arms within crowned mantle. KM 50; Friedberg 14; Karamitsos 165.

Extremely rare, 182 pieces minted. Highly lustrous and more attractive than the grade suggests.

Ex Dr. Lawrence A. Adams Collection.

Please use this link to verify the NGC certification number 4224604020

At $31,500, it barely makes the 39th most expensive coin in his inventory, (what's sold is already sold, and albeit not as pricey, perhaps more diffcult than the above, and having said that, I must add that Atlas' pics look too pale and CNG's pics are two photoshopped in the contrast department and the coin THAT I HAVE SEEN, is 100 times better than its picture, it's now sold of course)

and I was also VERY IMPRESSED by this TREMENDOUS OTTOMAN EGYPTIAN RARITY and I drool and I drool but it won't help me make it over here. image

1036032 | EGYPT. Abdul Hamid II. 1293/1 AV 500 Qirsh, 5 Pounds. NGC MS60. Misr (Cairo). KM 286; Friedberg 17

Ottoman Empire. Extremely rare in mint state, very attractive lustrous surfaces and much nicer than the grade suggests.

Ex Dr. Lawrence A. Adams Collection.

Please use this link to verify the NGC certification number 4215965005

$24,500

AS YOU CAN SEE BOTH COINS COME FROM THE SAME COLLECTION THAT WAS SOLD AT CNG ONLY A FEW DAYS AGO, ALL COINS WERE RAW, BUT JAMES KNOWS HIS STUFF VERY WELL, AND WHEN I FIRST MET HIM IN PERSON, WHILE HE WAS STILL WORKING AT NEN, I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT A YOUNG GUY THAT LOOKED LIKE A 22 YEAR OLD, HAD SO MUCH TRUST FROM HIS THEN BOSS TO SPEND MILLIONS OF USD TO PURCHASE WORLD RARITIES, AND THIS IS WHY, AND HIS WAY IS UP, NON STOP, AND HE DESERVES IT! image

Finally, I've kept for last a favorite of mine, the finest of the three that he has, an NGC 65+ but if any of you wants to send me a belated b-day gift, I'd be very happy with his PCGS MS64 too. image

It's in my numismatic bucket list, hardly fighting for top spot with another coin, and now I have to add the Egyptian previously posted.

At $34500 only the 30th more expensive coin in his inventory, this superb Swiss gem 1925 100 francs gold NGC MS65+ is a familiar presence in my dreams. image

34074 | SWITZERLAND. 1925-B AV 100 Francs. NGC MS65+. Bern. Young bust left / Radiant cross above value, date and sprigs. KM 39.

Superb and virtually flawless gem.

Please use this link to verify the NGC certification number 4224659020

Roman, no disrespect, I had no intention to hijack this thread, I've just added 3 beauties for all of you to see
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they have nice coins as we can see. Perhaps prices a bit on the steep side in many cases. They are a regular competitor in auctions even though I am only a collector, buying at what I would think are retail levels and then repricing them upwards.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are a regular competitor in auctions even though I am only a collector, buying at what I would think are retail levels and then repricing them upwards.

my thoughts exactly, and I missed two major likes to them it seems now, and had I wanted it NOW I'd need to shell out way more than my original max.

They are a great outfit - nothing like 'em in all of Brooklyn...probably geared more for a different crowd altogether than us diehards...image