Home Precious Metals

Who Buy's Silver shot from EBAY? Why?

Is it worth buying Silver shot? You would have to sell it directly to a smelter, I think. Has anyone here purchased un minted silver?

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver shot for sale at Kitco

Not my cup of tea. Doesn't meet my resell criteria. Wathca gonna do if the sealed bag breaks open?

Cheaper silver available with with better liquidity.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver shot is usually bought by jewelers and hobbyists who do castings of rings, figurines, etc. Also, people who want to make their own silver bars would buy silver shot. If they wanted to make a 5 oz silver bar for example they could weigh out 5 ozs of silver shot and pour the shot in a graphite mold which can then be placed in a furnace for melting thus creating a 5 oz silver bar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I bought 2 ozs of shot from Apmex just for the fun of it and giving people small samples of 'pure silver' which was part of a bigger order.
    COA
  • element159element159 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭
    I have bought silver shot for my chemical element collection. I do not see it as being re-sellable, but I do not care at all about that in this case.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    Silver shot is usually bought by jewelers and hobbyists who do castings of rings, figurines, etc. Also, people who want to make their own silver bars would buy silver shot. If they wanted to make a 5 oz silver bar for example they could weigh out 5 ozs of silver shot and pour the shot in a graphite mold which can then be placed in a furnace for melting thus creating a 5 oz silver bar.

There was a former forum member by the name of gecko109, who just did that several years ago and then sold some of his home made bars to fellow "suckers" oops I meant forumites at a premium. If I recall, he also made a youtube video. Project did not last very long and it was not cost effective, but he had fun experimenting.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha ha!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver shot is also used in a plating process called 'barrel' plating. The items are put in a

cylinder (barrel) with the shot, then immersed in a bath and rotated. Cheers, RickO
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's also great for vampire waterfowl in those places where lead shot isn't permitted.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My stuff is generally coin related
    …see link below. Maybe find something with meat on the bone. Maybe not. SPAM would show up in your email. LINKS are provided for ease of travel on the internet as a convenience. I buy and sell SH_T through EBAY because IT (ebay) is a good vessel to take a shot @ image

HE>I

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan of that stuff myself. I prefer bars and coins.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shot is not for hoarding or investment. Silver shot (which is easy to weigh and melt) is for industrial use in the manufacture of jewelry, silverware, electrical connections, electroplating, pharmaceuticals, etc.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire