Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

4 Turtles

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just received a new Hard Times Token - an HT-34. It is a bit more 'colorful' compared to my other 3 turtles shown below. What I did not capture was the booming luster of this amazing token, but the color is accurate. Getting a set of these is interesting for comparing strike, die wear, and the different types. I only have two types -the 34 and 33, still looking for the others.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Nice - very nice....

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CoinZip
    Nice - very nice....

This!!!!!
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are great!!
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful tokens!!
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    that is a herd of high end turtles image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool... Now get them neutered as trust me turtles breed like rabbits image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: chumley

that is a herd of high end turtles image

this!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice.

why does the ms64 look 2 grades higher than the others?

well, the top one is nice i concede. image

the super scarce ones for this type are very neat and unless found cut in half, will probably run into the 4 figures.

the 64/65 gotta run 3-500, no? or maybe not for the common ones.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is a herd of high end turtles

A herd on the way to becoming a hoard! Those are amazing.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THOSE ARE AWESOME! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice tokens, well done.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. I think I recognize the first one.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC
    nice.

why does the ms64 look 2 grades higher than the others?

well, the top one is nice i concede. image

the super scarce ones for this type are very neat and unless found cut in half, will probably run into the 4 figures.

the 64/65 gotta run 3-500, no? or maybe not for the common ones.

5 years ago, 64's were 2-300-ish, now days 3-400 when having strong eye appeal. 65's with eye appeal anywhere for 500 to name your price. The more original red remaining will really drive up the price as astute collectors such as Broadstruck really want those.

Keep in mind that 'common' means that maybe 1-200 are in holders -

for the HT-33 at NGC there are 151 ttl, 33,14,8 in 64,65,66 with 4 in Rb of those. One is in RD at 64.

for the HT-34 at NGC there are 138 ttl, 32,28,9 in 64,65,66 with 29(!) in Rb of those.

PCGS just got in the game and have graded only 5 of these combined so far. I have a few PCGS graded HTT's and it looks like mostly they are doing a good job with the grades.

There are likely to be more that are not in holders in the MS range as many early copper collectors still do not get their collections certified.

This makes the 33's and 34's some of the most 'common' you can obtain in holders, and you can find them online in a 63 or 64 holder almost everytime you do a search. 65's pop up here and there. Getting ones with no problems and strong eye appeal tho, you have to wait for the right one to pop up and that does not happen every day.

The other ones, HT-31, HT-32, much less than 100 each and much less in MS. There have been elusive to me in eye appealing examples. I'll bet Broadie has some examples he could show(?).

In terms of grading, in many cases you really can't judge them by the grade on the holder. You have to see them in hand and make your determination. None of my 4 have any major hits that detract, the 64's have boominig luster, the 65Rb has megaboom flash, color and red and eye appeal is huge. The 33 at the bottom has silky luster and only came in at 62. So for comparing the attribrutes of these 4, they seem to be graded correctly in terms of overall quality compared to each other, at least in terms of strength of luster.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are really exceptional specimens... congratulations.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet looking tokens!!!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: spacehayduke

Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC

Best, SH

cool. ty for that. i am in the range for all my info. now i need to expand my knowledge across more htt types/grades/pops.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file