Home U.S. Coin Forum

1921 Toned Peace Dollar

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a recent 1921 Peace Dollar purchase that I'm pleased to share with my fellow forum members.

This particular coin was selected for it's Original Surfaces with Light Brown Toning.

I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts, observations and comments about her. image

1921 Toned Peace Dollar

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking Peace $. Glad you were able to acquire it before some knucklehead decided to dip it in search of a higher grade. I'm terrible at grading these but would guess 63-64 range?
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it! Then again, I like most Peace Dollars, especially those with a hint of color. Strike looks pretty decent for a 21 too, nice coin.

Collector, occasional seller

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. I like it!
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this one! Very Nice pickup!
  • cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've admired all the 1921 Peace $ that you have shown Stuart, this one included. Die polish lines on the reverse?

Jeff

Edit: Probably a meaningless observation, but I find the 'uneven' rims including the 'double-thick' area around 2-4 o'clock on the obverse to add a certain coolness factor to this piece.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it, too.

PS- I like your avatar coin a little better, though. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty nicely struck through the centers for a 1921. Thanks for sharing!

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NICE Peace Dollar. The toning seems to accentuate the details.

OINK
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful 1921. Hard to tell from the images but it looks like it might be struck with proof dies...VAM1
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice original HR Peace, one of my favorite coins.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62....Cheers, RickO
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kaz

Great looking Peace $. Glad you were able to acquire it before some knucklehead decided to dip it in search of a higher grade. I'm terrible at grading these but would guess 63-64 range?

Kaz, Thanks for your above quoted post which is much appreciated. I totally agree with you, and give full credit to the seller for providing the following accurate description and honest disclosure.

"A wonderfully choice, completely original and totally pleasing coin, with full, cartwheel luster, light original golden toning and surfaces that display only inconsequential marks. We could have dipped this one white, and probably gotten an extra grade point, or even 2. But, we respect originality more than profits. A coin is only original once."

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NICE COIN,,,, I guess MS63+ / MS64.

GrandAm :)
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure those white spots on the reverse are dip residue.

Disclaimer...if they are on the holder than the coin might be ok.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Needs more center hair. Nice cheek.

Reverse looks really good. MHO.

Look at the difference in tiara definition.

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Nice Coin !

We need to start on the Mint soon , about a 2021 Anniversary Coin. We don't need

a Gold Peace $1. A Silver or at least a Platinum Coin is what we need. Maybe even

a Palladium version.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FullStrike

We need to start on the Mint soon , about a 2021 Anniversary Coin. We don't need
    a Gold Peace $1. A Silver or at least a Platinum Coin is what we need. Maybe even
    a Palladium version.

Yawn. Need another material here.

Carbon fiber coin?

Which is the first mint to release such a coin?

I'm going with Perth Mint. They are on their s***.

QE in carbon fiber, limited vacuum construction, Huge flip.

I'm not kidding, it will come.
  • dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin, not sure about the original claims - brown toning does not equate to originality. It seems to fit the qualifications of being struck on Dec 30 -31, better luster, but less sharpness and detail. Like the reverse more than the obverse, a good example of a lower grade mint state. Off topic, it would be cool to see the design made of a clay composite similar to poker chips.
  • BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin but as many 1921's, a soft strike esp. obverse.

Do suspect a dip in its past

Hard to pass on a nice clean cheek

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file