Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So regarding puttied coins

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you've got a coin you suspect has been puttied, but has been graded by our host and CAC'd as well, do you:

A) send it back to the TPG, knowing that at the very least its CAC designation will disappear, and at best it will come back exposed for its weakness, or you'll lose the piece entirely.

B) Sell it, without guilt, because it's been graded and CAC'd and arguably the two most respected names in the field found nothing wrong with it.

C) Stop being paranoid and keep it in your collection, pushing down the haunting, soul-destroying feeling that you've got a damaged coin.

D) other (explain)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Send it back to TPG.

Certainly would never sell a suspect coin.

"Do unto others..."
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inform CAC first, and see if JA will either (1) buy it or (2) have it conserved and reslabbed/restickered at the same grade or with compensation.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my situation was a little bit different, I had a gold coin graded by tpg and sent to Cac. Came back with a note that said it had putty. I took the coin back to the dealer who bought it back from me.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    CAC will buy the coin. Call JA and he will take care of it.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell it, without guilt, because it's been graded and CAC'd and arguably the two most respected names in the field found nothing wrong with it.

Never this option! Bad for the buyer, bad for the hobby and hopefully bad for one's conscience. I would work up the ladder...first go to CAC then the TPG.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the coin is making you feel that way, sell it. get another one that makes you go, " wow! look at that! "

don't look back...no worries. it has two guarantees.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: steveben

if the coin is making you feel that way, sell it. get another one that makes you go, " wow! look at that! "

don't look back...no worries. it has two guarantees.

Doesn't PCGS just guarantee it as genuine and properly graded?

As these day wouldn't you have to pay to get it conserved through the PCGS restoration division?

Or where older slabbed coins grandfathered under the 20 year warranty prior to the new revisions?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I'll go with D) other (explain) Pics needed.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you bought the coin from an ethical individual, he / she should should accept your returning of such coin.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: commoncents05

CAC will buy the coin. Call JA and he will take care of it.

-Paul

Yep
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Paul:CAC will buy the coin. Call JA and he will take care of it. .... BoosiBri: Yep

This is the first thought that came to my mind after I read the top post. Probably no need to call, just send an e-mail and CAC will provide shipping instructions. I am almost certain that JA will be willing to inspect the coin again and render an honest determination. Also, CAC is fair about buy prices, as far as I know.

Two other points come to mind. First, in some cases, natural haze, dust that collects on coins while properly stored, and liquid plastics (including but not limited to PVC) can be mistaken for putty or other added materials. Second, putty will often be much more deceptive soon after it is added and then turn over time. In another words, it is easier to detect years later, in many cases.

El Contador: If you bought the coin from an ethical individual, he / she should should accept your returning of such coin.

A large number of coin sellers do not know how to detect expertly doctored coins and may not know what Weiss is talking about. IMO, contact CAC first. If Weiss continues to own the coin after discussions with CAC and is not happy with it, then contact Don Willis at PCGS, who I know is a strong opponent of coin doctoring.

I have written a lot about the problem of coin doctoring. JA is quoted in many of my articles.

The Specter of Coin Doctoring and The Survival of Great Coins

How will Coin Collectors Interpret Certified Coin Grades in the Future?

Additions to the PCGS Lawsuit Against Alleged Coin Doctors, which never made it to trial; it was not proven that the defendants engaged in wrongdoing

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a very expensive early gold 1807 5 dollar coin that was in pcgs holder graded ms 65.

CAC thought it was puttied.

I ended up selling it to Van Simmons.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Analyst

Paul:CAC will buy the coin. Call JA and he will take care of it. .... BoosiBri: Yep

El Contador: If you bought the coin from an ethical individual, he / she should should accept your returning of such coin.

A large number of coin sellers do not know how to detect expertly doctored coins and may not know what Weiss is talking about. IMO, contact CAC first. If Weiss continues to own the coin after discussions with CAC and is not happy with it, then contact Don Willis at PCGS, who I know is a strong opponent of coin doctoring.

This reiterates my point; I know from whom I am buying my coins, so returning such a coin would not be an issue. I don't buy coins from people who buy and turn product, because yes, they may not know how to detect these problems as you wrote, and I may not be a big enough of a customer to them to be bothered.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

El Contador: I know from whom I am buying my coins, so returning such a coin would not be an issue. I don't buy coins from people who buy and turn product, because yes, they may not know how to detect these problems as you wrote, and I may not be a big enough of a customer to them to be bothered.

We may be talking past each other. I was not suggesting that El Contador or Weiss was buying coins from sellers who would refuse returns. Ethical sellers may not know how to detect expertly doctored coins. I have concluded that the number of people who know how to grade high quality coins keeps diminishing. Also, many of those who do are coin doctors or knowingly sell doctored coins.

I still maintain that it would make more sense for Weiss to send the coin back to CAC and, if he still is unhappy with it, back to PCGS. If the coin is returned to the seller, then the seller may just sell it to someone else or wholesale it. It would make more sense for the coin in question to be scrutinized at CAC and/or at PCGS before it is sold to another collector.

Additions to the PCGS Lawsuit Against Alleged Coin Doctors, which never made it to trial; it was not proven that the defendants engaged in wrongdoing

insightful10@gmail.com

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file