Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone attempted to develop computer grading?

It seems like the current grading system by PCGS, NGC, ANACS and others of using human eyes has an element of being subjective. Has anyone every attempted to develop a computer grading method where the coin is photographed at a high resolution or a laser scan and a computer algorithm then examines the detailed features and calculates a grade? Or would such a system have inherent inaccuracies and inconsistencies that would make it worse than human eyes?

I expect that a computer grading system would still need a human element to do the initial determination whether the coin is cleaned or exhibits other non-gradable damage.

I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2

I expect that a computer grading system would still need a human element to do the initial determination whether the coin is cleaned or exhibits other non-gradable damage.

This is a true statement. In my mind, the biggest bottleneck that currently exists is the lack of a dataset (i.e. human labeled images). It would require the cooperation of at least a handful of top notch graders to grade some tens of thousands of coins for the express purpose of putting themselves out of the job (either as a grader or an upgrader) which I don't think will happen anytime soon.

Once there is a dataset, I can't imagine any other technological hurdles that one would face that hasn't already been solved in a similar context.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen reports that it was tried at PCGS using common Morgans, (which many would agree are the easiest to grade).

Someone out there knows more about it than me....so I'll shut up.
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What there would be no crack outs if that happened.
  • Options
    I think the problem with a LOT of automation technologies is that the cost of developing, programming, testing, and getting a fully working system actually running would be many, many times the cost of simply hiring 3 or 4 people to actually do the job....for several years.

(That's why I doubt we will be losing our jobs to a robot anytime soon....unless your job is to put nuts on screws.) image
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    When stealer and I discussed this playfully a few months back, the thought we came to was to have the computer teach itself to grade by throwing thousands of grades coins at it and letting it pick up on the differences, rather than programming the computer with the grading criteria. Hence why stealer says the biggest hurdle is the initial sample of coins needed to teach it.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS owns the patent and I believe it was based on a design from board member here, but I don't recall who.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: valente151
    When stealer and I discussed this playfully a few months back, the thought we came to was to have the computer teach itself to grade by throwing thousands of grades coins at it and letting it pick up on the differences, rather than programming the computer with the grading criteria. Hence why stealer says the biggest hurdle is the initial sample of coins needed to teach it.

That is the general approach for machine learning. I imagine the TrueViews would aid in this process significantly: there are many manually graded coins with photographs taken in a controlled manner. It would be "merely" a matter of training the algorithm to know that "coins which look like X set of images = MS65"

Modern algorithms are pretty good at this, essentially operating as human assisted training. It's an area with a great deal of active research by most of the top tech companies. The sample sets might not be large enough yet but it's something which could be tuned at PCGS' leisure, as they have the images and know the grades.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TommyType
    I think the problem with a LOT of automation technologies is that the cost of developing, programming, testing, and getting a fully working system actually running would be many, many times the cost of simply hiring 3 or 4 people to actually do the job....for several years.

(That's why I doubt we will be losing our jobs to a robot anytime soon....unless your job is to put nuts on screws.) image

The cost of developing a learning machine is actually quite low. All it takes is a computer (which can be had for ~$10 these days), a timeshare on a server (which is pretty cheap thanks to AWS and Azure) and a high school student that knows how to apply programming libraries.

I still stand by the concept that just about anything under the sun can be achieved by gathering a group of college students and telling them that their grades depends on the success of the project.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SmEagle1795
    Originally posted by: valente151

That is the general approach for machine learning. I imagine the TrueViews would aid in this process significantly: there are many manually graded coins with photographs taken in a controlled manner. It would be "merely" a matter of training the algorithm to know that "coins which look like X set of images = MS65"

Modern algorithms are pretty good at this, essentially operating as human assisted training. It's an area with a great deal of active research by most of the top tech companies. The sample sets might not be large enough yet but it's something which could be tuned at PCGS' leisure, as they have the images and know the grades.

This is true. PCGS and NGC both have amazing access to a nearly unlimited dataset as long as people keep sending them coins. The only problem is that TrueViews would not do the job - namely that the lighting is inconsistent depending on the type of coin and how the photographer wants the coin to be displayed.

The only way to get past this is to have an automated system that does all the photography, preferably taking multiple images of the coin at different, but fixed, angles relative to the lighting.

There are of course other issues such as data storage, size and quality of images etc. but that can all be tuned for over time.

• Options
    Originally posted by: stealer

The cost of developing a learning machine is actually quite low. All it takes is a computer (which can be had for ~$10 these days), a timeshare on a server (which is pretty cheap thanks to AWS and Azure) and a high school student that knows how to apply programming libraries.

I still stand by the concept that just about anything under the sun can be achieved by gathering a group of college students and telling them that their grades depends on the success of the project.

Sure...but now throw in these factors:

- Speed. Can you develop a system to feed the coins through the "grader" at a rate that will rival what graders at PCGS grade at now?

- Maintenance. Assuming "speed" requires moving parts.....Someone needs to keep those moving parts working. Then there's cleaning the system, adjusting it, etc. And the computer technician to replace parts, poke at the software, etc.

- Insert and removal. Coins aren't going to get into the system solo. You need to hire someone to put the coins on the "conveyer belt", and take them off at the other end.

- Error correction and quality control: Once the system gets out of synch, someone is going to have to make sure that seated dime doesn't end up in the Morgan dollar slab.

At some point, you've hired so many people to make the system work, you were probably better off (financially) to just train them to grade coins!

I'm an engineer, and I share the philosophy that "anything is possible", and it's getting more possible as time and technology progresses.

The problem I see is that the financial aspects of the whole thing just won't catch up to simple well trained humans. At the very best, you are replacing expensive and knowledgeable coin graders with expensive and knowledgeable computer and automation experts.

(This, of course, ignores the possible advantage of repeatability and consistency, which the computer system might have. But if the financials don't support it, nobody will buy it!)

I may be wrong....but I won't be the first to under-estimate the long term effects of computers, automation, and robotics. image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was also COMPUGRADE

In fact a board member here brought a COMPUGRADED coin to our coin club meeting last night.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: stealer

Sure...but now throw in these factors:

- Speed. Can you develop a system to feed the coins through the "grader" at a rate that will rival what graders at PCGS grade at now?

- Maintenance. Assuming "speed" requires moving parts.....Someone needs to keep those moving parts working. Then there's cleaning the system, adjusting it, etc. And the computer technician to replace parts, poke at the software, etc.

- Insert and removal. Coins aren't going to get into the system solo. You need to hire someone to put the coins on the "conveyer belt", and take them off at the other end.

- Error correction and quality control: Once the system gets out of synch, someone is going to have to make sure that seated dime doesn't end up in the Morgan dollar slab.

At some point, you've hired so many people to make the system work, you were probably better off (financially) to just train them to grade coins!

I'm an engineer, and I share the philosophy that "anything is possible", and it's getting more possible as time and technology progresses.

The problem I see is that the financial aspects of the whole thing just won't catch up to simple well trained humans. At the very best, you are replacing expensive and knowledgeable coin graders with expensive and knowledgeable computer and automation experts.

(This, of course, ignores the possible advantage of repeatability and consistency, which the computer system might have. But if the financials don't support it, nobody will buy it!)

I may be wrong....but I won't be the first to under-estimate the long term effects of computers, automation, and robotics. image

Very fair points. When I was playing around with the idea a couple of months ago, I realized the need for (at the very least) one human operator per machine who can put coins in the "eyepiece" of the computer. On the other hand, I was not nearly as ambitious in thinking that the system would also serve as a replacement for the slabbing process - if I were tasked with designing the system, I would at the very least have two disjoint computers: one for grading and one for slabbing.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want computer grading for NEW proof coins!!!

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Sidney Auerbach demonstrated in May 1985 in New York City a machine that is thought to be the first coin grading machine. In August 1986, Henry Merton of The Milton Roy Company of Rochester, N.Y. also demonstrated a machine that was at the leading edge of image analysis technology at the time, known as Omnicon 3500. This is all related in Van Allen and Mallis' "Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars", 3rd edition (Chapter 17 - Grading).

In February 1991 Merton announced that a company which he was associated with, Compugrade, had started grading coins using computer aided grading.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN
    There was also COMPUGRADE

In fact a board member here brought a COMPUGRADED coin to our coin club meeting last night.

I've owned a few coins in their slabs- they only graded Morgans, if I remember correctly. The coolest thing was the grade- a coin could grade MS 64.2. Their slabs bring a nice premium as well.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compugrade existed for a short time in 1991 and all they graded was stuff that they had trained their grading software to grade -- untoned Morgans and Saints. 25 years later, the preferred method is without a computer for a few reasons. First, the promise (threat?) of repeatability would cut way down on resubmissions. Second, if there are problems uncovered or new training datasets used that cause grading outcomes to shift, the reputation for repeatability goes out the window, leaving the consumer without the advertised reassurance that the grade won't change over time. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just received a coin in a MS64 grade. High in details (tough for the date), nice luster and darker gold toning but the condition, the number of marks and their locations (all toned over, btw), for this coin, played a major role in its 64 grade. But I haven't seen this level of detail in higher grade holders so a computer grade should be a 4 or 5 digit number to basically tell a story about each component of the coin. I don't need the number since I already know what to look for but it would help seeing a coin when the photography is not enough.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Yes, I think this will help immensely, having the images, taken under fairly controlled conditions, with numbers assigned to them is the perfect food for a machine learner.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Compugrade has graded saints and Morgans...

Also have seen a peace dollar
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: leothelyon

I just received a coin in a MS64 grade. High in details (tough for the date), nice luster and darker gold toning but the condition, the number of marks and their locations (all toned over, btw), for this coin, played a major role in its 64 grade. But I haven't seen this level of detail in higher grade holders so a computer grade should be a 4 or 5 digit number to basically tell a story about each component of the coin. I don't need the number since I already know what to look for but it would help seeing a coin when the photography is not enough.

Leo

64.v.w.x.y.z
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few guys could grade it sight unseen if Pistareen described it. [ let me expound ]

at some point in the nuances of grading, eye appeal always factors in , and how does one program this peculiarity into the algorithms ?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much variance in the same date/mm. For example you can find strong strike 1892-o and lots of soft strikes. Both may be the same grade but will certainly look completely different. So, how is an algorithm going to figure out whether it's wear or strike?

Won't work.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's actually quite possible, given the improvements in scanners and computer power.

The problem is training the program.

Which is why you will see it for moderns much sooner than for all coins.

The way these neural networks work is that you feed in 100s or 1000s of inputs and correct the network to produce the same results as the expert. When that's done, you've trained it to grade one series or one year of that series (or even just the weakly struck group of that year). The volume exists for say ASEs.

You need an upfront network to separate PF PFCAM MS and MSPL. Then separate network(s) to grade within. And you always have the option of reject-to-human for special cases (say a pocket piece).

But by the time you've trained it to grade say the Barber dime sold last month, you've graded all 9 known examples.

But anything with enough volume is possible to do. You could be scanning the coins today to feed into so e future program along with the human assigned grades. When you have a network that agrees 95 or 99% of the time, you are done. It's really how do you do the cutover? Do you have people resubmit? Tough sell when most will get the same grade. AND: how do you make money at it.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will come, and it will be technically good, but it will take the longest to "quantify" the concept of eye appeal. When we conquer that hurdle, it will be very useful.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BStrauss3

It's actually quite possible, given the improvements in scanners and computer power.

Mostly because one modern is pretty much exactly like another. OTOH one can have 100 ms63 1886 Morgans all of which likely will be different.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

A few guys could grade it sight unseen if Pistareen described it. [ let me expound ]

at some point in the nuances of grading, eye appeal always factors in , and how does one program this peculiarity into the algorithms ?

It would be up to the humanoid finalizer to decide on eye appeal. For moderns you might have computer only grading and for classics maybe computer assisted grading.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

Originally posted by: BStrauss3

Mostly because one modern is pretty much exactly like another...

And most are graded 69 or 70.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC and PCGS have both graded, approx. 30m items...

NGC

Silver Eagles (1986-Date) 7,988,291
    Morgan 3,073,190
    Gold Eagles (1986-Date) 1,190,370

PCGS

Morgan 2,959,339 (plus another 120K DM and PL)
    Silver Eagles, MS 1,880,091 (plus another 700K PR and SP)
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Computer grading will eventually become a reality... the hobby needs such a foundation.

As for eye appeal... IMO (and many disagree), I do not believe that should have any place

in coin grading. Eye appeal is up to the buyer.... and it varies from collector to collector - that very fact should eliminate it from grading. Some art, and artists, are found to be pleasing to

some people... and not others. The same applies to coins. Remove that factor and the

science becomes more realistic and achievable - given the issues noted by many in the

foregoing posts. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Very interesting discussion. I wasn't expecting this much good information and opinions when I posted this question.

Some thoughts...

I wonder if computer grading could be used to supplement human grading. For example, distinguishing between MS60-70. The human already determines uncirculated. The computer then determines the MS60-70 grade by counting/measuring strength of strike and number of marks.

It seems like it would be difficult for a computer to grade circulated coins as coins do wear differently. But what I would like about a computer graded coin is that it could provide data of why it came to a specific grade. A computer would likely be able to break down the grade between obverse, reverse and various fields. With human grading, it would significantly increase the time/cost of grading if the humans would provide us with an explanation with each coin of why the grade was determined. I believe we've all looked at a PCGS or NGC coin and wondered how the grade was determined

I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    PCGS owns the patent and I believe it was based on a design from board member here, but I don't recall who.

It is over 19 years. Shouldn't be the patent expired?
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Images are 2D...for proper grading I would think you need a 3D scan. Just an thought on a Friday afternoon.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ElKevvo

Images are 2D...for proper grading I would think you need a 3D scan. Just an thought on a Friday afternoon.

K

Not really. Human graders use a series of stereoscopic views of a coin. The same input could be given a computer, but now you have to produce something that can repeatably produce such input.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameras cannot yet capture the specter of color that the human eye has.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file