Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

California territorial gold

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently bought a small collection that included what I thought was a half dollar piece of California fractional gold in a NPG off brand slab. I will try to get a photo downloaded for clarity.

However, a bit of reading after the fact has gotten me a bit concerned. I did not pay a ton for it thankfully.
On the reverse, there is a large "1/2" fraction what looks like a bear at the bottom. In my reading, I found one site claims that no bears were pictured on the original territorial coins. The article stated that this is a territorial token. Does anyone here know about these?

To whom should I talk to try to ascertain value?
Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The article you read is correct. No bears on real coins.

That token does not have a value, right? No dollar, etc?

Just the 1/2 which leaves you to figure out what denomination it was supposed to be. Not a a real coin of that period.

All had a denomination that I'm aware of.

I'm not the expert on these but have seen many over the years. Your token is likely from the 50's or 60's.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If you see a bear, beware!"

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Are these really all fakes from the 1950's & 1960's?
    Are they even gold?
    Any clue as to value?
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Yorkshireman
    Are they even gold?
    Any clue as to value?

Often they are made of gold but sometimes of lesser purity.
    Current market value best obtained by checking recent eBay sales which there usually is a lot of.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to see a lot of those back in the 1960's. As others have said, they are just tokens/souvenirs.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mariner67

Are they even gold?

Any clue as to value?

Often they are made of gold but sometimes of lesser purity.

Current market value best obtained by checking recent eBay sales which there usually is a lot of.

Being underweight or of lesser purity may not be a good differentiator since many of the period 1 pieces were also underweight.

There's a good discussion of this and general background in this thread.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear = Bad.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of different bear 'charms' that are gold and they are generally 10 karat. By far, however, there are many, many more bears that are simply gold plated base metal pieces. On these gold plated jobs, the plating is so thin that the base metal tends to shine through on the high points and the edges.
  • Options
    Thanks folks.
    The seller has agreed to give me my money back for that piece.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent... pleased to hear you will get your money back... You should still upload a

picture if possible... helps others to learn. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko
    Excellent... pleased to hear you will get your money back... You should still upload a
    picture if possible... helps others to learn. Cheers, RickO

My limited photo skills produced a picture to blurry to be helpful.

If you see a piece or "Territorial California Gold" that has the design of a bear on it. don't buy it for more than a few dollars because it was made as a 20th century novelty.

THANKS TO YOU GREAT FOLKS THAT OFFERRED ADVICE!!
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it has to have D., DOL, DOLLAR, or CENTS somewhere on it. otherwise, it's a token.
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you all know, Coinfacts will be free and they have a complete listing of Calfrac period 1s and 2s for your attributing. The period 1s and 2s are the real calfracs and all others are either tokens or souvenirs.

good luck.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they even gold?
    Any clue as to value?

I wager that a good number of them only had a gold wash or thin gold plating. Woolworths five and dime stores used to sell them for $2.00 each in the mid to late 1960s. They had the faction "1/2" and bear on the reverse.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

Just the 1/2 which leaves you to figure out what denomination it was supposed to be. Not a a real coin of that period.
    All had a denomination that I'm aware of.

Many charms (someone called them tokens) struck between 1872 and 1882 used period 2 obv die and no denomination dies. I don't know any book after 1960 to discuss about this. Maybe it is a top secret among Calfracs collecting community image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file