Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you grade this half cent

Looks like it was cleaned long time ago and retoning nicely. I have tough time grading copper in general. What do you think?

photo 0C8EBE6F-C6E9-4645-B826-A1D1D67D2F58_zpse6orf4j5.jpg">obverse

photo 9E214C03-AE84-43A5-980C-8B3E0E2B2848_zpsfqao9rmr.jpg">reverse

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine 15 Cleaned would be my guess.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG10 net grade for rim dings and scratch on rev...
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Fine, recolored

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty close to VF details....depending on your mood.

Is it slightly off center, or is that my imagination.
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are tough!

It's like an EAC convention in here. image
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grade? No idea. Copper is an area that I'm very much still learning. Cool coin though, especially the reverse. I'd guess 15-20 range.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F15 details, with all the aforementioned issues.

If you want the retoning to continue, take it out of that holder and put it in a brown Kraft envelope

and keep it somewhere warm for a long time.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SeattleSlammer
    You guys are tough!

It's like an EAC convention in here. image

Not tough at all ... The level of detail on that piece is consistent with standards for Fine, and it's been that way since I was a YN in the 1960s. There are rim issues which traditionally lower the grade by one notch. The reddish color on the reverse is indicative of cleaning, but as Walkerguy21D said the coin will probably tone down after a few years of storage in an envelope.

Overall it's not bad coin given what little is available in the modern market when it comes to copper. Time was you could find coins like this at the small shows. Now it's almost impossible.

The variety is "Plain 4, Stemless" which is 1804, C-13 in Roger Cohen's book. This is the most common of all half cent varieties from my observations.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuine, cleaned, damaged.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine 15.... not uncommon... nice keeper... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS photograde

Drapery lines are too complete and sharp for Fine details. Same with some of the hair and leaf details. I'd say VF20-25 details. Are those reddish tints on the reverse remains of original color or from chemicals? Rim bangs are the biggest distraction.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

It's like my 1804 large cent (although its fully retoned) - and I'm still happy with it! image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Walkerguy21D

It's like my 1804 large cent (although its fully retoned) - and I'm still happy with it! image

... but there is a big difference between the 1804 half cent, which is quite common, and the 1804 large cent which is scarce or rare.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: roadrunner

PCGS photograde

Drapery lines are too complete and sharp for Fine details. Same with some of the hair and leaf details. I'd say VF20-25 details. Are those reddish tints on the reverse remains of original color or from chemicals? Rim bangs are the biggest distraction.

Breen states the C-13 no crosslet 1804 often seen with "weird

mottled surfaces".

The obv appears F-15, but the rev. looks better, in the VF range.

The obv 5 was used to strike the entire production of C-11 plain 4 stems, before & after the C-13 which probably accounts for the difference.

In any case it should be removed from the flip.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    ... but there is a big difference between the 1804 half cent, which is quite common, and the 1804 large cent which is scarce or rare.

A big difference indeed, not the least of which is the 50-100x price differential!

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine Details.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This often a pattern between half cents and large cents. The 1804 half cent is common, but the large cent is scarce. The 1806 half cent is common and the large cent is a somewhat better date. The 1809 half cent is common, and the large cent is a better date. On the other hand the 1802 large cent is common, but the half cent is scarce. I think that there were some capacity issues here.

The 1799 large cent is a major rarity. That may have due to the production of 1798 dated large cents in 1799, but also probably had something to do with the policy which had the mint making a record number of silver dollars. In fact the 1799 silver dollar was the only silver coin the mint produced that year. The rollers were always a problem at the first U.S. mint, and production was probably aimed at silver dollar and $10 gold eagle production at the expense of everything else.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Interesting observation - thanks Bill.

I would agree on the capacity issues, along with the continual shortage of planchets, and machinery problems in those early

years, that made it difficult to strike large quantities of both half cents and large cents in the same calendar year.

The 1806 is definitely a tougher date in middle and higher grades. The cent screw press broke in April of that year, and wasn't

restored until the following year, and it's assumed many of coins struck early in the year were dated 1805, used until they gave out.

Perhaps this created more demand for half cents, so many of those were struck instead.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Genuine, Fine Details, Cleaning
  • Options
    sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I plan to put it on eBay but I was not sure what grade to assign. Fine details, old cleaning and retoning nicely sounds like reasonable description. Thank you all for great info and input.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file