Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How long do you think it will be before we see.......

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
a counterfeit sample slab? Prices on some have been unbelievably high. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

Comments

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It certainly would be easier to do because most of the coins in sample slabs often have little or no numismatic value. All you have to fake is the slab and the label. The coin can be perfectly genuine and would not cost the crook much at all.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure. Thankfully, they're not part of my collecting habit. I would like to buy some hobo nickels if they're lying around the house and not being appreciated.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    Not sure. Thankfully, they're not part of my collecting habit. I would like to buy some hobo nickels if they're lying around the house and not being appreciated.


    The trouble with hobo nickels is that they are now being massed produced, right at the coin shows. There were a bunch of people at the FUN show right on the floor with their microscopes and drills having at it the whole show. I don't know what they are putting out, but I'm glad I don't have an interest in the series.


    I bought the book at one time, but could not get any interest in them. I sold off the book when I was a dealer.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No interest in sample slabs... however, if there is a market, there will be counterfeiters...



    And BillJones.... yes, there are a lot of modern hobo's and they are flooding the market now...



    I would still like to get an old original though... just to add to my collection. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    HobosapianHobosapian Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
    Bill, there are definitive signs of an old one versus a new one. For starters, MOST modern carvers sign their work. It's a pride of craftsmanship thing. They want to be recognized as the artist. I buy and sell A LOT of old carvings, and I own some of the best carvings around. Generally speaking, if you don't know for sure that the coin is old, stick to Nicknamed carvings. That's generally the recommendation I make to collectors just getting into this part of the hobby. They are easy to identify, with the nicknamed carvers being viewable in the "Quick ID" section at www.hobonickels.org, and give a beginning hobo nickel collector something to look for.



    To say there are a lot of modern carvers out there is the understatement of the century, but I only know of one who is unscrupulous and doesn't call his carvings old or new, and his carvings are EVERYWHERE. Generally speaking, if you aren't sure, ask someone who knows about them. Or you could join the OHNS and have them certified for about $15 per coin through the OHNS.
    Chris Dempsey
    Dempsey & Baxter Rare Coins
    6032 Peach Street
    Erie, PA 16509
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good information Hobosapian.... I have looked at online hobo nickels for years, and saw two

    at shows (I felt they were modern)... If I ever do get an authentic old piece, I would definitely

    submit it for evaluation. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they already could be out there, everything else is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file