Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your favorite acquistion of 2015 as we count down the New Year

DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
Happy new year to all! Post your favorite acquistion of 2015 as we draw near to the new year.
Here is mine:
"Excelsior Club" by Joseph Merriam of Boston, MA. A great rarity in the Civil War token storecards of Massachusetts, it is the only example known. R-10

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one of my favorite 2015 coin purchases.

1921 Peace - NGC-64 Strong Strike & Glossy Luster

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say as I have many favorites this year but I don't have TrueViews for

everything yet which makes the choice a little easier. I could just as easily

select one of another 5 or so but here's a good one. Recently crossed from

NGC QA PF66 to PCGS PR66.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put this set together about twenty years ago as a gift for my Dad.

We were in the beginning stages of restoring a 1936 Chevrolet pickup.

He passed this spring and recently my mother thought I would like to have it back.

As you guys know, not much monetary value here, but.........well, you know.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice CWT and Charlotte Gold above.

I only acquired two pieces this year and both are worthy of the title "Favorite".

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought and sold a lot of neat coins during 2015, but I think my favorites are still the special versions of the 2015 Glendale Coin Club medals that Dan Carr made for our club this year... great design and the special finishes he did for them are just amazing!!! Wish we would have had more of them made!!!

• Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I made a purchase a few days ago , but wont have it till 2016 . Does that count for this year ?
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorite coin, favorite Doily and favorite Sample, all from 2015 IIRC..... image

How do we get Boiler78, TradeDolllarNut and others to show up for this thread?? The new forum has scared them away.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I have to pick it would come down to these two...... The first is my one and only coin from 1815, the second completed my 4 mint mark (1838C, 1839C, 1839O, 1839D) Classic Quarter Eagle set.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to pick just one, especially when I love two coins that are different ends of the scale! These two are tied for my favorites:

PCGS AU55

PCGS G04

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do we get Boiler78, TradeDolllarNut and others to show up for this thread?? The new forum has scared them away.

Don't forget Cardinal! image

Some great coins here but these are my favorite. For several reasons.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a lot of upgrades for my Barber Half set this year, but this 1904 S is my favorite:

I purchased it in a NGC AU 58 holder; it crossed at PCGS at the same grade.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64

He passed this spring and recently my mother thought I would like to have it back.

Sorry for your loss. Cool idea for a gift for your dad, I'm glad you got it back! Now if you have a son/daughter, give it to them!

How did the 36 Chevy turn out?
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually added several coins to my 1940 Mint set this year, but this one is probably my favorite. I actually just bought the current Top Pop upgrade for this coin, but like this one so much better. Pretty sure I'm going to keep this lower grade example.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a similar experience this past fall, so I can relate.

I think that is a really nice set and I like all the coins in it.

I'd also like to know, what became of the 1936 Chevrolet truck ?
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Flatwoods

Don't forget Cardinal! image

Some great coins here but these are my favorite. For several reasons.

Thanks Flatwood!

Perhaps not the most valuable piece in the collection, but the only known example of the Libertas Americana medal with an ornate corded rim!
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cardinal

Perhaps not the most valuable piece in the collection, but the only known example of the Libertas Americana medal with an ornate corded rim!

Great piece Cardinal! Any history on how this piece got it's corded rim?
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've failed to capture it fully in this image, but it's a gorgeous coin in hand: a mint state aureus of Faustina, the wife of my avatar, Antoninus Pius:

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It turned out extremely well.

I took my mother to a couple of car shows in it this summer.

Thanks for the kind comments and am enjoying these really cool acquisitions.

-Mark

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some sick stuff here, guys.

Probably my most interesting buy of 2015, thanks to CRO:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one a these two here.....More than likely the 34-d as it's just as nice as can be.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL A YOU COIN LOVERS OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imageimageimageimage

I like this one too.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR70DCAMFS
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671

To bad the quarter doesn't have a D on the back, or does it?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably this as it's the earliest portrait of Grant struck or printed on anything.

Struck by die sinker William Key it features a pre-presidential Grant sporting a wild and woolly beard along with a (goofy but fashionable at the time) double layered far longer chin beard.

The example seen here is also unique as it's unlisted by Dewitt & Sullivan as even having been struck on a white metal planchet and this one is slivered.

The Photo enclosed below was taken in September of 1863 when Grant was in Springfield Illinois.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you see it......

<<span class="FTHighlightFont">[URL=http://s141.photobucket.com/user/raisethis2/media/0403571c-d324-4456-bbe1-50adc449f1f8_zps545fdba4.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s141.photobucket.com/user/raisethis2/media/70be578b-0324-41c6-ac48-8318e40bd0cd_zps1c7a06d5.jpg.html]image[/URL]

I had to have it conserved to get the cloudiness removed. It's in an NGC PF 67 holder.

Nice discovery.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought we did this a few weeks ago, anyway here she is again, I've wanted a flowing hair dollar for over 40 years, bought this one, my first, in the spring of 2015

imageimage

Here she is with a younger sister also in my collection

Goal in 2016 is to get a 1795-1798 small eagle dollar with similar surfaces, ideally PCGS F15-FV20

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool bucks!
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1867 ddo two cent piece in a PCGS 55 holder purchased in April at the Central States show.
    I have been very busy redoing my condo so no images, I gots to get back to my real hobby and post some images.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the coins in this thread are amazing.

2015 has been a good year. I can't pick just one. The first is from Tom Bush, the second from Larry Shapiro. Both are just stunning in-hand.

• Options
    Wow - wow - wow - some cool stuff! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman

Wow - wow - wow - some cool stuff! image

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    This came out of a Seated denomination set from the small-time Midwest dealer with fuzzy pictures on eBay.

imageimage
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, some nice items here.

Not counting things I made myself, this is it (see recent thread titled "My Clark Gruber Cherrypick"):

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The start of my type set

Happy New Year!

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1862 DDO. Only 2 graded higher, 19 in all grades.

liefgold
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS AU-50 Gold CAC
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many cool things. And not all coins. VERY nice stuff.

I'm conflicted.

I got a 10 Indian with minimal marks..... FINALLY!

and an early $5 with some color.

But, farther down the price scale, I also got a no stars dime and those have always fascinated me as I don't intend to get a Gobrecht dollar.

Guess of all three, I gaze at the half eagle the most.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two favorite of the year, by far.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very few purchases this year. I am particularly fond of this 16-D Walker in an AU-58 OGH. Definitely a AU64 candidate.

imageimage

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably this...

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

What ??? Not a Barber ????

My favorite purchase of 2015 - Thank you Ray of Eye Appealing Coins !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some GREAT looking items everyone!!! Two thumbs up, WAY up!!! CONGRATULATIONS on all the neat items displayed here!!!

The OP of this thread didn't mention that it had to be coins, so I'm going to sneak one in here. My favorite purchase of 2015 was the Apollo 12 Flight Plan, in essence the Log for the Second Manned Landing on the Moon.

If I had to pick a favorite coin purchase of the year (unfortunately the coin is currently out being imaged so I can't show it) it would be a 1953-D (PCGS) MS66FBL Franklin that I got.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow -- impressive quality of material presented in this thread. Look like many of us made proud additions last year. Here's probably my best find.

mirabela
  • Options
    Interesting medal - made me go to Google - Peanut Cocoons relates to silk worms - correct?? A bushel produces 1.5 lbs of reeled silk. image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This AU58 is a plate coin from "Federal Half Dimes 1792-1837"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file