Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DC 1 1/2 OZ Silver Owl

Seventy strikes total. $75 ea.

Pic here

Comments

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing these will sell out pretty quick.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bigjpst
    I'm guessing these will sell out pretty quick.

And they are very attractive, so I would expect a decent secondary market as well.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan mentioned he might make these back on October 26th here.

I think it's nice these are made of Colorado silver. Having these on sale the last day of the year is nice too.

Thanks for making these Dan!
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A silver example will be a nice addition...
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: renman95
    A silver example will be a nice addition...

bold added

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm into these, saw the gold in person but couldn't fork out for that.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in stock?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: WildIdea
    I'm into these, saw the gold in person but couldn't fork out for that.

That was my thought exactly.

CN eBay

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to figure it out.

At 12:25pm (my local time, which is what the board software shows me), a BST for these was posted by the OP for the $75 mentioned.

5 minutes later, at 12:30pm (my local time, again), this thread was created. Looks like a bit of a FS thread here too (same price mentioned).

So, I am confused if it is 2 threads, in 2 forums, 5 minutes apart, for selling these for the OP, or if the USCF post is to drive demand to help the BST post?

Just confused to the timing and how it looks.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

At 12:25pm (my local time, which is what the board software shows me), a BST for these was posted by the OP for the $75 mentioned.

5 minutes later, at 12:30pm (my local time, again), this thread was created. Looks like a bit of a FS thread here too (same price mentioned).

So, I am confused if it is 2 threads, in 2 forums, 5 minutes apart, for selling these for the OP, or if the USCF post is to drive demand to help the BST post?

Since the issue price is $75, I believe the OP isn't selling any at that price but was instead doing everyone a favor and letting us know they were available. NOT selling them.

CN eBay

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CuKevin

Since the issue price is $75, I believe the OP isn't selling any at that price but was instead doing everyone a favor and letting us know they were available. NOT selling them.

Unless the opp is a new employee of The Moonlight Mint, I don't think they are the ones selling these. Just a friendly post on two separate forums to notify us that these were for sale.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless the opp is a new employee of The Moonlight Mint, I don't think they are the ones selling these. Just a friendly post on two separate forums to notify us that these were for sale.

Then the BST post isn't for him? Admittedly, I don't follow these as they don't interest me (anything DC related so far), but in the BST post, it reads more like a personal sale, and it is the same $75 listed here.

That's what confused me.....

Must only be me confused though, eh? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is correct, both posts were just notifications made by forum member. I did not ask anyone to make any such posts, but they are certainly welcome to do so if they feel inclined.

I put 50 of them on my web site shortly after midnight (early this morning). All of those are sold now. I've promised a few others to certain customers who previously inquired about them, and I'll be keeping a couple for myself. Once all that settles out, I don't know if any of the remaining 20 will still be available.

PS:

I'll probably do a 2016-dated version.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52
    Not in stock?

Dang! That was quick...in what, three hours?

I was contemplating of buying two (which was the household limit) to bookend my $5k Slug. image
  • Options
    Thanks for clearing this up Dan. I didn't see any issue before either but it's good to know given the questions.

Thanks for creating this piece. It looks great image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I appreciate the OP as I was able to get two. I would imagine he will make a good deal more of the 2016 - but hope not, and also to change design at least.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 7Jaguars
    I know I appreciate the OP as I was able to get two. I would imagine he will make a good deal more of the 2016 - but hope not, and also to change design at least.

The 2016 would have the same reverse (Owl) design. The same die, in fact.

The obverse would have a "2016" date" of course, and possibly some modifications to the Liberty Head.
  • Options
    I did not intend to make a BST listing, but somehow I managed to do so, my mistake, my fault.

I meant to post to the US Coin forum only. BST listing edited
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dcarr
    I put 50 of them on my web site shortly after midnight (early this morning). All of those are sold now. I've promised a few others to certain customers who previously inquired about them, and I'll be keeping a couple for myself. Once all that settles out, I don't know if any of the remaining 20 will still be available.

PS:

You should have made 71 so I could buy one image

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

PS:

You should have made 71 so I could buy one image

Or 73, don't leave me outimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice...I like the design.....they went much too fast for me....oh well, I will watch for

them....I am very patient. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appreciated the heads up. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Thanks for the post epcjimi1! I got my orders in before posting above. Great way to end the year imageimage
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got two, but only because I usually visit the website daily to check for new offerings. I like the design and it will look good next to my $450 slug (I couldn't afford the $5k slug but I love what I got).
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jessewvu
    I got two, but only because I usually visit the website daily to check for new offerings. I like the design and it will look good next to my $450 slug (I couldn't afford the $5k slug but I love what I got).

What is your $450 slug? J/W
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I missed it. Awesome looking coin

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

The $500 gold coin in the set
  • Options

The $500 gold coin in the set

Most collectible in the series. 1/4 oz is not a slug. Whatever. Srsly. It's a 1/4 oz.

Not 2 1/2 oz.

• Options
    I guess the modifier next to "slug" ($450) wasn't enough of a wink for you. Why so much hate?
  • Options
    I guess the modifier next to "slug" ($450) wasn't enough of a wink for you. Why so much hate?

LOLO, missed the wink, to suggest hate, whatever, absolutely crazy. Carry on, you are doing fine.
  • Options

LOLO, missed the wink, to suggest hate, whatever, absolutely crazy. Carry on, you are doing fine.

Silence is deafening. Whatever.
  • Options
    Dan, why "SIXTY DOLLARS"?
  • Options
    Are these the same dimension as the "big brother" golds?
  • Options

They are both 41mm according to Dan's website.

Imagine a gold and silver in a PCGS dual holder with TrueViews? image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: renman95
    Dan, why "SIXTY DOLLARS"?

A couple years ago, some people requested that I put some sort of symbolic face value on the Clark Gruber coins.

For the past few years I've been using a somewhat arbitrary "standard" of $2,000 per gold ounce and $40 per silver ounce. This applies to gold rounds and various silver bars as well (such as the recent 3-oz Clark Gruber silver bars marked "120 DOLLARS").

Of course, more recently, gold and silver prices are roughly half that. But I'll probably stick with my "standard" for now.

• Options

Both are struck with the exact same obverse die, in the same collar.
  • Options
    Very nice Dan, sure wish I could manage the larger gold but appreciate the 1/4 oz. gold most certainly.
  • Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Love this coin, Im hooked on Clark Gruber silver now will be watching for 2016 owl design
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1940coupe

Love this coin, Im hooked on Clark Gruber silver now will be watching for 2016 owl design

Same here...checking every morning.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin. Sorry I missed buying one.
  • Options

Very nice Dan, sure wish I could manage the larger gold but appreciate the 1/4 oz. gold most certainly.

I'm all in on 1/4 oz, best modern replication, Colorado gold a plus.

So what's up in the future? IIRC, there was discussion of a Moonlight Mint silver restrike set, anticipating a US Mint anniversary gold release of a dime, qtr and 1/2 in 2016.

Just wondering.
  • Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    I know I cant wait to see what Dan makes for 1916 anniversary
  • Options

In addition to some fantasy-date over-strikes, I am planning three different silver rounds in the same format as this 1913 Indian Head:

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did manage to acquire a couple of the Centennial Buffaloes. Very nice work Dan!

Those three 1916 Centennial coins (Dime, Quarter and Half) should be awesome in the Centennial Buffalo format!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

In addition to some fantasy-date over-strikes, I am planning three different silver rounds in the same format as this 1913 Indian Head:

• Options
    These are very nicely made Dan. Love having them in-hand!

Since these are 41mm, can these be slabbed? Your website indicates the largest size that can be slabbed is 40.6mm but I just wanted to verify since these are octagonal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Zoins

Since these are 41mm, can these be slabbed? Your website indicates the largest size that can be slabbed is 40.6mm but I just wanted to verify since these are octagonal.

I don't know, but I will attempt it within a month or so.
  • Options
    DC, have we a hint of the 2016 version of the "slug"?
  • Options

Originally posted by: Zoins

I don't know, but I will attempt it within a month or so.

Thanks Dan. Hopefully they'll fit image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file