Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newman Numismatic Portal

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
With some time off over the holidays I continued my search for the provenance of my 1842 $5 ex. Milas. I checked back through Archives.org, a great site in searching public records, libraries and universities for amazing historical documents.

"The goal of the Newman Numismatic Portal is to create the world’s most comprehensive online encyclopedia of American and Colonial coinage, currency, realia, and related correspondence and published literature. Materials from the Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society’s coin collections and supporting reference libraries will be digitized along with Washington University Libraries’ collections and made freely available to an online community of scholars and enthusiasts.

I frequent this site and recently a set of very important auction catalogs have been uploaded. The catalogs in normal form are important but what makes these especially importantant is that they are annotated with the buyers of the lots. Cleneay, Parmalee two name two. Many of these come from the Harry Bass Library via Dan Hamelberg. These documents allow for provenances to be researched with potentially one of a kind reference documents available to all.

From the site:

Content Update - the scanning operation at the Newman Numismatic Portal (NNP) is in full gear, and we have processed over a thousand items to date. Readers can follow our progress at archive.org/details/newmannumismatic. Our most recent addition is a group of bid books from the auction firms of Samuel and Henry Chapman, Philadelphia coin dealers in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This collection was formed over many years by Dan Hamelberg and we thank him for his generosity in loaning the material for scanning. We have scanned over a hundred Mint Reports, and we anticipate further growth in our government documents collection thanks to the assistance of Katrina Stierholz (Federal Reserve Bank Librarian) and Tove Klovning (Assistant Law Librarian at Washington University). Government documents reveal details of the Mint operation not found elsewhere (such as employee names and salaries) and heretofore have not been easily accessible to numismatic researchers.

I wanted to pass this along to all as it is really a special endeavor and one that this group hopefully will support going forward.

Portal Link

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice site! The direct link is still available but it seems like they've removed a lot of content:

NewmanNumismaticPortal.com
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, Boosibri. Tons of information at that site.
  • Options
    Bump for the new year
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link... a good reference source.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Newman Portal uses Internet Archive as a scanning repository. All scans appear at

Internet Archive link

Material scanned by the Newman Portal appears on Internet Archive almost immediately, so the latest activity can always be seen there.

In parallel, the Newman Portal has its own website that presents a cleaner interface to scanned materials. That link is Newman Numismatic Portal. This site will lag behind the activity on Internet Archive. In particular, we currently have a large number of auction catalogs on Internet Archive that are not yet linked into the Portal.

• Options
    Len, thanks so much for being a part of this. Do you know what is up next? Any more catalogs from Dan H?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are systematically working through the early U.S. auction catalogs in the rare book room at the American Numismatic Society. We have 90 of these already posted on Internet Archive, with a good number in the Chapman and Cogan series. We've also had material loaned from private libraries - Dan Hamelberg, Bill Burd, and others. Our intention is to maintain a good mix in the scanning pipeline - auction catalogs, periodicals, books, and archival material from the Newman library. All that said, we are certainly open to requests and will fit these in as our bandwidth allows.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will be a humdinger of a resource for collectors interested in pedigrees and numismatic history in general.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    I have begun tracing back the Clapp/Eliasberg half eagles through the material to Cleneay, Earle, Parmalee, etc.
  • Options
    Len can you address this issue with the main page? I'd like to ask that this link go somewhere:

Newman Numismatic Portal

It is a dead end loop and does not take you into the archive. And if it actually does, it is not obvious at all.

I've a book to submit for scanning but I want to work with Wayne and Maria for an Asylum write up first.

• Options
    Some very cool new material has been posted to the NNP. The Col. Green plates for half eagles and eagles are an absolute treasure.

Thanks to Len (Coinosaurus) for his work here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file