Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

There's a time and place for correct numismatic terms

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
We often see posts where our fellow board members refer to something as a "coin" when it may not be, by strict definition, a "coin". It may be exonumia, or more specifically, a token, a medal, a so called dollar. Or one of the grey areas where the item meets some of the criteria of a "coin"--a round, typically flat piece of metal with an official stamp used as money--but perhaps not all of them. Or maybe even not all of them to the degree of which a purist might insist.

Or there may be times when a fellow numismatist refers to a cent as a "penny", when that term was originally used in British coinage and is therefore supposed to be shunned by those who collect American coinage. Something along the lines of drinking coffee instead of tea.

When these terms are used, casually in the conversational tone that online forums often are, is it proper to correct the one who has used them? When the person who has used them is a board member, a numismatist of many years or even decades, someone who knows the actual definitions but uses these terms as a familiar shorthand?

Or is it pedestrian and captious to correct someone, especially when it adds little or nothing to the original post?
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much does it bother you when it happens?

From my perspective, if there's an active discussion on definitions, it's fine to talk about it. If it's just in casual conversation, I'm more interested in the primary discussion topic, e.g. a token, than the terminology used.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to be correct and am not offended when corrected when it comes to numismatic terms.

I think this is the place for such correctness.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a question of degree. If somebody says "Hey! Look at this new addition to my coin collection!" and shows a picture of a So-Called Dollar, it would be churlish to make a correction. If a newbie asks about the "Truman coin" in his Coins & Chronicles Set then, a simple correction is in order.

When all else fails, fall back upon the excellent advice "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I belonged to a club were one of the members brought up the "penny versus cent" terminology all the time. It got tiresome after a while.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I think it's pedantic to correct someone, unless it's in an educational context, such as: "The reason you can't find your 'coin' listed in the Red Book is that it isn't a coin, it's what collectors call a token." (or a medallion, etc.)

I think that if someone using the incorrect terminology is bothersome, then the best solution is to use the correct terminology in your reply.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having trouble finding my "Cent Whimsy" book by Sheldon. They are alphabetical by title but I just can't find it. image

Completely unrelated is the fact that the nickname "penny" has been used for cents since they were first made. Even though they are officially cents, I just don't get that worked up when the nickname is used instead.

Some do obsess about that one and yet not say a word about the grading system where Good is actually a pretty bad coin; Fair is awful; Fine is not so fine, etc.

There probably are some terms that get misused that bother me, but cannot think of any offhand. One thing that has always irritated me is when auction prices realized are knowingly or sloppily reported without the "so-called" buyers fee included.

I think there is some merit at times to clarifying the definition of "coin" if it is clear that someone doesn't know and would be helped by knowing the difference.

Now I can go calm down by looking at my Franklin Mint minature penney coin's, - or is it dwarf.

Theyr'e there thier

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right. The penny / cent thing gets old.

I'd like to know more when it comes to the difference between medals ( large & small ), SCD's, HTT's, Store Cards.......

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Weiss

We often see posts where our fellow board members refer to something as a "coin" when it may not be, by strict definition, a "coin". It may be exonumia, or more specifically, a token, a medal, a so called dollar. Or one of the grey areas where the item meets some of the criteria of a "coin"--a round, typically flat piece of metal with an official stamp used as money--but perhaps not all of them. Or maybe even not all of them to the degree of which a purist might insist.

Or there may be times when a fellow numismatist refers to a cent as a "penny", when that term was originally used in British coinage and is therefore supposed to be shunned by those who collect American coinage. Something along the lines of drinking coffee instead of tea.

When these terms are used, casually in the conversational tone that online forums often are, is it proper to correct the one who has used them? When the person who has used them is a board member, a numismatist of many years or even decades, someone who knows the actual definitions but uses these terms as a familiar shorthand?

Or is it pedestrian and captious to correct someone, especially when it adds little or nothing to the original post?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when I lived in Sidney, O. while working for Coin World, I beat a parking ticket for an expired meter in front of the post office by pointing out that the only coin it took was a "penny" for 12 minutes. Didn't take a "nickel" for an hour like the rest of the meters downtown.

Of course, it may have helped that the #2 man in the local police department was the Treasurer of the local coin club I was Secretary of. We had a good laugh about it at the next club meeting.

;-)
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen posts here claiming that bullion coins such as ASE's, AGE's and the 5 oz silver ATB coins aren't really coins. I set them straight because they are definitely wrong and I won't let such erroneous statements go unchallenged. We get new collectors that come here to learn and we'd be doing them a great disservice to allow incorrect statements concerning coins to go uncorrected.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lately, I tend to send PM's on most basic misstatements, especially to newbies. Why embarrass someone in public? I mean, well, if they have an attitude, especially one worse than mine, all bets are off

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Say it like it is and leave penny's and cents out of the conversation.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Between misapplied terminology, misspellings, and incorrect syntax, this forum would

drive a nitpicker crazy.... I just read - interpret - and continue on. Those seeking knowledge

are a different case..always willing to help them. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file