Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll - What percentage of your coins did you buy on eBay?

eBay is a much safer place to buy nowadays, but there are not as many good deals. Since it costs nothing to list, most auctions have a high starting price or Buy It Now.

But overall, what percentage of you coins did you buy on eBay?

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe it or not several forum members including forum member store owners and dealers buy off ebay, I know this because many by from me on multiple occasions and I very much appreciate their business
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I poked at Ebay in the early days of my collecting (circa 1997?)....but quickly moved away from it. Back then, I was buying raw, and you seemed to have a 50-50 shot at getting what you thought you were getting.

Never went back, and really haven't regretted it. I hear you that it may be a much better environment now....but I'm old, and set in my ways. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50% Purchases.......70% Sales
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the early days (1998-2005), quite a bit

In the past five years, aside from a few reference books, practically nothing - as mentioned above, anything decent in my area is listed with a goofy "Buy It Now" price.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe I just made my "white-whale" cherry pick last night on eBay for $18 shipped. I can't wait for it to be delivered to see if I actually got what the seller indicated it was!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ShadyDave
    I believe I just made my "white-whale" cherry pick last night on eBay for $18 shipped. I can't wait for it to be delivered to see if I actually got what the seller indicated it was!

Keep us informed.
    Paul
  • Options
    Probably 50% comes from ebay. You just have to be diligent when searching and creative as many listings are not properly listed.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 30%
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

What is a white whale cherry pick? Thanks...

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my 1914-D and my 1909-S VDB off ebay, buried in a common Whitman album, 1 picture of that section, but close-ups of the "newer" shinier coins. All done with a primitive digital camera.

It was my white whale cherry pick.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question and great poll topic. My percentage would be much higher if they had eBay when I was younger. Many of my coins were purchased or given to me back before we even had an internet. It is amazing how things have changed in my lifetime let alone the past 100 years.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the early days (mid to late 90's) I bought quite a few... then it started to be crappy due

to fakes, scams and trash. I hear it is a tad improved now, but still see a ton of complaints

on this forum. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I could not check 100% but pretty darn close.......
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lately it is the only place I buy, as I do not get out to stores or shows any more and the stuff I collect doesn't pop up much on the BST.

I was about five years into my Lincoln set when I joined eBay in 1998, and I can honestly say that at least half of the coins in that set, if not more, were purchased there. There are some holes in that set and my type collection that would never have been filled were it not for the site.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere around 80% do look and buy at Great Collections, Heritage, and have a lot of dealer sites book-marked.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0. Bad experience early with them ( non coin) that resulted in near litigation. Not a fan.

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My collection started out as predominately eBay purchases, but has dwindled down some by being replaced by higher quality coins from dealers on and off of ebay.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you honestly care about the answers to these polls? The questions are pointless.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    E-bay has too many red flags for my comfort

i'd rather see the coins in person or buy them from people I have done biz with in the past

that way chances of me getting scammed, or something is low

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: silverpop

i'd rather see the coins in person or buy them from people I have done biz with in the past

If you know what you are doing then your chances of being scammed on eBay are very, very close to Zero.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ErrorsOnCoins

Originally posted by: silverpop

If you know what you are doing then your chances of being scammed on eBay are very, very close to Zero.

Yet it happens.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I answered "nada," but I did buy one coin off of eBay over 14 years ago. A regular supplier to my coin business put it up, and I had seen it. I bid $1,900 and got it for $1,430, which was way below bid at the time. Since then the market as fallen in it considerabely. It is an 1849 gold dollar with the open wreath and the "large head' (second generation Open Wreath gold dollars.).

Here is the most expensive item I have ever purchased on eBay, but it's not a coin. You can get a better idea about how nice a ferrotype is from a photo than you can a coin.

imageimage

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BillJones

I answered "nada," but I did buy one coin off of eBay over 14 years ago. A regular supplier to my coin business put it up, and I had seen it. I bid $1,900 and got it for $1,430, which was way below bid at the time. Since then the market as fallen in it considerabely. It is an 1849 gold dollar with the open wreath and the "large head' (second generation Open Wreath gold dollars.).

Here is the most expensive item I have ever purchased on eBay, but it's not a coin. You can get a better idea about how nice a ferrotype is from a photo than you can a coin.

imageimage

Love the ferrotype Bill! I've thought about collecting these but haven't gotten into them yet. It's great how some of the images have held up over time.

It would be great if PCGS would slab them.

• Options
    Love the ferrotype Bill! I've thought about collecting these but haven't gotten into them yet. It's great how some of the images have held up over time.

With ferrotypes, the picture is the whole thing. It can have the greatest fram in the world, but if the picture is missing, very dark or all messed up, the piece is not worth much of anything.

Spare detacted ferrotype pictures do show up now and then. They get stuck in some frames as a replacement. Other that it might create an "unlisted" variety, I don't know how you can catch that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0%, it aint happening slick.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "did" is past tense. I'm still doing it so the percentages will not be accurate if I vote. image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jerseycat101
    Do you honestly care about the answers to these polls? The questions are pointless.

Kumbaya! image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

You MUST let us know what it is when it arrives!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: unclebob

What is a white whale cherry pick? Thanks...

Well... a white whale is that one coin that now matter how hard you look you just can't seem to find. And a cherry pick is paying pennies on the dollar for an unidentified rarity. So it looks like ShadyDave got a steal of a deal on a coin he's been wanting for a long time.

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I would say about 20% of my current collection was purchased on e-Bay. If I only consider coins purchased in the last 5 years, the percentage increases to about 45%.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a quick scan of my Northumbrian stycas, which is my major collecting focus now. 38/92 (41%) were obtained through eBay (or passed through eBay at some point). Given that I'm an American collecting British coins, I have limited access to coins via other venues, so eBay remains a useful resource.
  • Options
    Lately purchases have been 100% ebay. And my age is 80+. I look for decent feedback reports first.
  • Options
    Ebay brought me back to coins, subsequent to my divorce at the turn of the century. Thankful for a new millennium and start. I buy about 10% coins there. 80% walk in , 2% from the mint and about 8% from other dealers.
  • Options

Kumbaya! image

• Options
    Originally posted by: jerseycat101

They may be pointless, but that's what happens when some guys go Phishing for answers on websites. They (these directed questions to about 12 or 15 of us) don't amount to much scientific data, but it adds up, and sooner or later I hope to reach 50,000 useless responses here. It beats that other site that ends in "BOOK".
  • Options
    Zero

I have purchased a couple of political items off eBay, but I have not purchased anything from there in a very long time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file