Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Numismatic Year in Review

I apologize for being somewhat absent recently but I've had a number of competing priorities as of late. I posted in the liteside thread and thought we should have one here as well.

I've had a very successful numismatic year, acquiring several important pieces. I'm hoping to start off next year with a couple large acquisitions as well, but here are a few highlights:

An exceptionally toned denarius of Vindex from Rome's Civil Wars:

An aureus of Faustina Senior in a very high Mint State grade:

A sestertius of Trajan, with a page-long description of what the reverse depicts:

A heavy gold stater minted under King Croesus (the origin of the phrase, "As rich as Croesus"):

And my top purchase of the year, a unique drachm of Clazomenae with one of the most aesthetic facing portraits on an ancient Greek coin:

Post your favorite purchases for the year!
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Ah, SmEagle, such wonderful stuff. In the same vein, I accomplished some goals tailored to my interests and ability with an upcoming wedding.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As ever, you're a hard act to follow, Smeagle, but it's nice to see the eyecandy all the same. If forced to pick, I'd say your Croesus stater grabs me the hardest, but they're all "WOW".

One of my 2015 acquisitions should look familiar to you. image

(Actually they all should, since you were so kind to assist with the photo templates.) image

Nick- that's a neat little Chersonessos lion. Love those archaic types. That's one I never got around to.

Looks like five of my Box of 20 were from this year.

Ancient Roman Empire: silver "Capricorn" denarius of Vespasian, struck by Titus ca. 80-81 AD

Ancient Roman Empire: orichalcum sestertius of Hadrian, struck ca. 134-138 AD

Medieval Croatia (Ragusa): silver grosso portraying St. Blasius and Christ, ca. 1372-1438

France: silver jeton of Louis XV, "Aurora in cloud chariot", undated (ca. 1740)

United States: proof copper-nickel 3-cent piece, Liberty head type, 1888

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortuitous find at the 2015 NYINC. From an old collection, Ming Dynasty.
    The emperor Xi Zong, from his Tian Qi reign.

imageimage
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    Really well defined characters on that cash coin. I'm not used to seeing them with that much of a "3-D" looking "high relief".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the swan's body is engraved with the greatest attention to detail, even down to the stare of the bird, which is focused and determined, as if it has been caught in a moment of standing its ground.

Hey shmeagle...your 2015 newps are insane to say the least - I mean you get a you suck from me for sure image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The years is not up yet... I still have two international shipments in transit image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    LM, you also did very well this year. Thanks for the compliment on the Chersonesos. It was hard finding a really nice one to start with. I would like to add others but a lot of them are either total garbage or way high priced. Your capricorn issue is still pretty amazing.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff guys!

Mine are embedded in my collages here Talers

Ancients
  • Options
    The minute die striations on Smeagle's Faustina aureus are mindblowing. That one's fresh as a daisy.

PS- Zohar- haven't most if not all of your ancients come in the last year or so?

That's also mindblowing... so far, so fast! image

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Crete 1901, 50 lepta NGC MS65. Coin was sold last year at Heritage. Being broke at the time, I've put a gun on the head of a friend to buy it and do a great start in his collection. This year, when an unexpected gift from our local IRS allowed me to buy it, I got it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Damned crisis, let alone these capital controls. Picture is decent, but nothing compared to the coin in hand, mostly in terms of luster. Hadn't seen a gem for sale in 25 years of collecting. Happy camper. image

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited to add: What I like in this coin, is the fantastic underlying luster coming from a totally original coin. (Close your eyes and imagine it...) Mr Eureka told me they're called "fresh" . First time I heard the term, I said what are fresh coins? Fishes? Then I learned that it was coins, unmessed with. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Lol, Dimitri you should not point guns at people.
  • Options
    How else would I get any coins Nick?

I see that not only you got into ancients with excellent start, but that you experiment with photography too. Well, the latter needs serious improvement (said the man who never took an image of a coin in his entire life) , but really now, congrats. Feels like a reunion with ex classmates.

Here's a tip Nick. RESIZE them, and get rid of the distortion. These are tiny ,but in your pics they look like the size of a car wheel. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Dimitri - I am glad you have it and I love the camaraderie between friends/collectors. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and the Greek nation.

• Options
    PS- Zohar- haven't most if not all of your ancients come in the last year or so?

2 I believe. Thanks a bunch.
  • Options
    Happy holiday season to you and everyone in this forum too my friend. image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    A new glitch - I cant read your post in its entirety as the horizontal bar at bottom allowing to shift right to left has now vanished.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zohar
    A new glitch - I cant read your post in its entirety as the horizontal bar at bottom allowing to shift right to left has now vanished.

Try using Chrome. I've been having unhappy results with Safari. Chrome formats the web pages here better -- seemingly!

Back on topic: I just realized why I've been so poor for the second half of 2015 (and still am poor leading into NYINC!). I tallied my purchases for 2015 and I count 34 coins that are for my collection. THIRTY FOUR. Have I seriously lost all manner of self-control in first half 2015?

I can post the highlights later when I have more time.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    EVP - I look forward to seeing you at the show in early January. I also very much enjoy seeing you suffer in writing the checks. Nice coins though!

Nick - you need to scale down the images as they distract from the coins. Any software editor allows for this.

• Options
    Never mind that you didn't read it Z. It was a momentary delirium that has no place in this thread. I'll edit it.

As for Nick's images, I can resize them even more, without software, but with my 8 year old Macbook's safari.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys added some nice stuff this year!

I made a few small additions to my primary sets, the highlight being the key in my Ferdinand VII Armored Bust set.

From Aureo's Isabel de Trastamara sale earlier in the year:

1810-TH PCGS AU55:

I'm only 1 coin away from completing this set, too. It's a tough one, though - 1811 over-assayer HJ/TH. I have an example of this coin, but it's hairlined. Probably will end-up sending it in just finally finish something image

Here are some additional pieces this year:

• Options
    And you did not Roman? imageimage

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

OK, I'll add a few more, only they're not coins. I feel more comfortable posting them here. Let's say these are the 6 among the toughest of 30-35 raw notes I bought this year and submitted myself until the capital controls have stopped me.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First two have the nickname "motherhood", and there are three of them, the red in 1945, the brown that I'm still missing and the purple in 1947. I'm now looking for one for Cathy, I know she'll love the design.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

And all these used to be very tough, super expensive and impossible to locate. The crisis had some advantages too.--------------------------
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This last one, was a note circulated during Greece's civil war, from 1945 to 1949, between communist rebels and the regular army. The communists were finally defeated and Greece moved on with 5 years of delay compared to the rest of Europe and even more damages made by this war than WW2.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Interestingly enough, due to the hyperinflation of the time, these were not in drachmai, but in wheat Okades (one oka = approx 2.5 pounds) They were illegal of course and denominations of 5, 25, 50 and 100 circulated. They promised to give the bearer the amount of wheat on the note, 6 months after the "liberation" of Greece, but this of course never materialised. Partly the crude printing and partly the horrible conditions that those that remained were saved, it is super rare to find one in this condition, choice AU/borderline unc.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also notable that the reverse mentions among others that counterfeiting will be punished by death. Execution style.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    My Lord, that stunning French jeton, stole my heart the very first time I saw it, but I was just lurking.... Heh. Also notable, that grandiose proof 3 cents. This box of 20 is a great idea for some people, (not everybody though), among which, definitely Rob.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Those are some awesome notes, Dimitri! Love the rebel note image
  • Options
    Okay okay okay. I will start resizing my pictures. New project for new year.

Merry Christmas to all!
  • Options
    I don't have any images of my note-worthy Anglo-Saxon coins from 2015, but here are some others from this year that I'd like to share.

The first coin is a Filippo (Crown) from Milan, dated 1676, Dav-4005 and finest graded at either service for the type (which includes Dav-4007).

The second coin is a 5 Paoli (1/2 Francescone, 1/2 Crown) from Tuscany, dated 1757. It is rated RRR (very rare) and in excellent condition as well as being very colorful (which didn't come out in the image). I also think it is possibly under graded (by at least a + and graded "excellent" by the seller).

The third coin is a 10 Paoli (Francescone, Crown) from Tuscany, dated 1772. Rated R, it is a choice coin with lovely originality (not a euphemism for "unattractively dark"!). It is graded "FDC" by the seller.

The fourth coin is a taler from Augsburg, Dav-5309, dated 1641. It is actually very pretty in hand, the reverse especially so. As a gem, this coin is a relatively common coin in an uncommon grade.

The fifth coin, is a 2 Kopeck novodel from Russia. It has most of the features one would expect from a proof (sharp strike and square edges), but not mirrored fields from well-polished dies. As such, it is graded MS, not PF. In hand, the coin has a more powerful brownish hue than is apparent in this image (which makes it look "rusted" and less attractive than it really is). I have no clue how rare this near gem novodel actually is, but I can't imagine it being common. In any case, it is a cool looking coin. Despite it being a 2-Kop, it has the diameter (but not the thickness) of a 5-Kop piece. Issued during the reign of Ekaterina II Veliky (Catherine II the Great), and dated 1765.

Hope you enjoy this trip down memory lane from me. Being that I haven't bought a coin in ~ 6 months, this post is exactly what I needed. Thanks to SmE1795 for starting this thread.

EVP

• Options
    Sorry, one more non-Anglo Saxon coin of note for this year...

The information on the tag tells most of the story of this near-gem trophy piece. Like the Russian 2-Kop novodel, this piece has many of the characteristics of a proof. It is also not PL, because it doesn't have the mirrored fields. But it is quite a coin for someone like me not a 1%-er. In hand, this coin is a little bit darker (only a little bit though!).

• Options
    EVP - I recall you literally stole that Russian piece on auction just as the Rouble tanked. Superb selection of coins everyone!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm scared to even post my "trinkets" in a thread with all of these heavy-weights.

Just a few "shout outs" to those who have posted pictures in this thread so far --

EVP, I love that Cromwell, and the Novodel is stunning.

TK, that 1761 is a show stopper, jaw dropper. WOW!

LordM, love that jeton. You have my contact information when you're ready to offload that one. image

And, SMeagle -- well, I love when he posts coins valued at more than my entire collection. image

Great newps all. And, may 2016 be another wonderful numismatic year.

Best, Brandon

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    Originally posted by: Zohar
    EVP - I recall you literally stole that Russian piece on auction just as the Rouble tanked. Superb selection of coins everyone!

Da!

• Options
    Brandon,

Go ahead and post your "trinkets". I'm sure they are great coins, or at least *very* nice coins. Please share with us the history of the coins as well as any noteworthy personal comments.

Zohar,

You will get to see the pain as I am *unable* to write checks at this year's NYINC. image

EVP

• Options
    I'm with EVP. We don't do discrimiminations or have any segregation policy here, otherwise Zohar would have been the only one posting, along with EVP and JCMHouston. And Small Eagle of course as the leader.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

PS: Thank you Roman! your coins are awesome, I see a 2015 tendency towards colorful and higher quality coins ,or was it just a coincidence?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'll try to post a few things this weekend, especially if one of my newest purchases arrives tomorrow like it's supposed to. image

Cheers, Brandon

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of my Anglo-Saxon coins from the year. Not EVP quality all of them, but good enough for me. This thread surely is lacking in medieval coins image

Aethelred, king of Mercia (?)

Early Anglo-Saxon coins are called sceats, or sceatta, a term that loosely means treasure. It's a modern invention; ancient people would not have used the word sceat to describe their coins. This coin depicts the "porcupine" design, which is probably meant to represent a face with a headdress but has degenerated into an abstract thing with quills, called by modern observers a porcupine. The reverse is, in great contrast, an extremely legible inscription of the name Aethelred (in runic, and going clockwise). These coins may have been struck for King Aethelred of Mercia. They have mostly been found in Kent, and may have been struck for the king's invasion of this territory.

Eadberht, king of Northumbria

Sceats of Eadberht are common enough, probably a few hundred known, but the unusual part is the face in the center, only known from maybe 4 or 5 known coins. The face could represent Eadberht himself, or perhaps was a pagan symbol that was kept on the nominally Christian coinage. I've heard it described as a representation of Odin/Wodan. However, the picture looks wrong for that, as most depictions of the old god show him with a beard. The face is not likely Christ, who is also typically shown bearded. However, mustaches were worn by Anglo-Saxons; following their conversion to Christianity many abandoned the long beards. A long handlebar style mustache is famously worn by Harold Godwinson on the Bayeaux Tapestry, and may have been stylish back to the 8th century.
    If the face is Eadberht's, it could represent one of the earliest depiction of a the face of a known king on English coinage, preceding the coinage of Offa by a few decades (aside from the possible 7th century coins of Eadbald of Kent).

Aethelred I, king of Northumbria, moneyer Cuthgils

O: ED+LRED R: CVD CLS, shrine in center

A sceat of Aethelred I. Lord Grantley, the famous British numismatist of the early 20th century, believed the reverse of the coin was a tribute to St. Cuthberht, a major saint of the early Northumbrian church, and misinterpreted the reverse as stating "SCT CVD". Later research has shown that rather it was the name Cuthgils, who was a moneyer. The simplistic 'triangle with a cross on top' has been interpreted as a shrine, and may have some religious meaning that has been lost to history. The design is about as creative as Northumbrian coins of this era could be.

Aethelred I, king of Northumbria, with Archbishop Eanbald I (or moneyer Eanbald)

O: +AEDILRED R: EANBALD

Another sceat of Aethelred I, this time with the name Eanbald on the reverse. Eanbald was the name of two successive archbishops of York, and this coin is typically assigned to the first. However there is no mention of title or rank to be found on the coin. There is a single coin of this type with the reverse reading "EANBALDA", which might mean Eanbald A(rchbishop).

Eanred, King of Northumbria, moneyer Wihtred

O: +EANRED REX R: +PINTRM|X|

9th century copper coins of Northumbria are called stycas, a term that is not at all contemporary, but was used by early numismatists in the 18th and 19th century. Kings and religious leaders had these coins struck in their names.
    This particular example is unusual in that the moneyer wrote his name in runic letters, a style of writing that had mostly gone out of favor by this time.

Herreth, moneyer to the kings of Northumbria

O: XHERRED R: XHERRED

A double reverse Northumbrian styca of King Eanred's moneyer Herreth. Northumbrian stycas are well known for being crude and, especially in later years, having nonsensical legends. In fact, Spink/Seaby #S.872 is given to all of those coins fitting into the "irregular series." But this is not a 'typical' blundered styca. In fact it is a mule and presumable deliberately produced "double reverse" coin, depicting the moneyer on both sides, of good style, and from an earlier period than the later civil wartime irregular stycas.
    The manufacture of coins was presumably a structured process, given the many thousands of coins produced. The lower die is presumed to have been mounted on some solid piece of wood or anvil, thought to perhaps be via a spike that could be driven into the wood, holding it fast in place. The obverse die would be held with one hand, the hammer with the other. It's not known for sure if this is how manufacture took place, but it is a reasonable assumption that both dies would not be loose and subject to considerable movement during striking. So for a double-reverse pairing to take place, a reverse die would have been mistakenly manufactured as an obverse die (without the spike), then paired with a normal reverse for striking. This makes some sense, as double obverse pairings are exceedingly uncommon in the styca series, and quite rare overall in medieval and ancient coins. Or this could have been a deliberate act of manufacture by a moneyer who believed the king held no authority over him. Certainly the true meaning will never be known.

Wigmund, Archbishop of York, moneyer Coenred

O: +VIGMVND IREP R: +COENRED

Another styca, this one struck for the Archbishop of York. This particular coin is not rare, but in a nice state of preservation.

Wiglaf, king of Mercia, moneyer Redmund

O: +VVIGLAF REX M R: N/+REDMV/D

An obscure king of Mercia. Not much is known about him. He was briefly deposed by the most powerful king of that time, Ecgberht of Wessex, but managed to re-take his throne. His interrupted reign lasted a good 10 years, but yet his coins are excessively rare. I can track 10 others besides this one, most in museums.
    The name Wiglaf has always appealed to me; like most Anglo-Saxon names, it is a two part name. Wig- means war, -laf means one who remains. It probably means 'one who would stand by your side in battle'. It is the name of Beowulf's loyal thane, and because of the name's meaning it is probably meant to be a character actor, as Wiglaf is the only subordinate who stays loyal to Beowulf and helps him in his battle against the dragon.
    I like to think that King Wiglaf's parents were familiar with the Beowulf story, and chose this name in honor of the character.
    Name parts often ran in families, and Wiglaf had descendants with names like Wigmund and Wigstan. It's possible he was related to the Wigmund of York, although people in this time did not frequently travel outside of their kingdoms.

Alfred (the Great), king of Wessex

O: AELFRED REX R: London monogram

The greatest of all Anglo-Saxon kings, and the only British king to retain the moniker 'the Great'. He saved his kingdom and people from destruction at the hands of the Vikings.
    This coin features the monogram of the city of London, which copies earlier monograms seen on Roman, Gothic, and Frankish coins. It is believed to have been struck in the city to commemorate the retaking of London from the Danes, ca. 880.
    This particular coin was double struck about 10 degrees off, and as such the imagery is a little muddled, but still quite readable.

Henry, prince of Northumberland

O: +N[ENCI COM]I R: [ ]ON:C[ ]

A cut halfpenny of Prince Henry of Northumberland. Henry was a grandson of Malcolm Canmore, famous from Shakespeare's Macbeth. He was heir to the Scottish throne, but never became king. He was something of a pawn in his father's plotting against king Stephen of England. As part of a peace settlement, Henry became Earl of Northumberland, which made him nominally subservient to Stephen. Stephen had bigger problems, his cousin Matilda from Germany also claimed the English throne and went to war, starting the period of English history known as the "Anarchy", so Stephen was probably happy to make peace with the Scots. Prince Henry was not a well person, and predeceased his father.

John, king of England

Pennies of king John, of Robin Hood fame, are by no means rare, but this particular example displays a rather unusual flip-over double strike, with heads on tails and tails on heads. What is even more unusual is that both sides have well defined features of both the obverse and reverse.
  • Options
    Holy moly, Nap, you have an Alfred Londonia. Man, I am beyond envious. Nice job!!!

Btw, is it just me, or does that "Wodan" face look a bit like Z? image

• Options
    Some more eye candy! Great stuff, folks.

EVP - that novodel is a stunner! Do you know what year it was made?

PS: Thank you Roman! your coins are awesome, I see a 2015 tendency towards colorful and higher quality coins ,or was it just a coincidence?

Dimitri - I've always liked color and original skin. In my entire collection there are under 10 total coins that are bright white. In terms of quality, I think i'm just getting more picky as time goes on image
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks EVP. I found it in a recent auction. With the central peckmark and double strike, I didn't think it was quite the quality you were looking for, and though I wasn't shopping for one, I was tempted by the reasonable estimate. I put in an absentee bid and managed to snag it.

I'm sure you'll find the example you're looking for in the near future.
  • Options
    Roman, tell me one forum member who didn't take the same route at some point, say shroom, and I'll tell you he is the exception that he confirms the rule. Quality vs quantity. Screw completion. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    That really is an impressive collection of medieval. I love the early British stuff and occasionally am able to dip my toe into the 1300's but no further due to financial constraints. But it is an area I would truly love to explore more fully in the future.
  • Options
    Here are the highlights of my 2015 Anglo-Saxon purchases:

ANGLO-SAXON, Secondary Sceattas.

Circa 720-745. AR Sceat (22mm, 1.03 g, 2h). Series H, type 49. Hamwic (Southampton) mint. ‘Wodan’ head within pelleted border; nine pellets-in-annulets around, trefoil of pellets below / Bird standing right; pellet-in-pelleted-annulet before, three pellets around. Abramson 4.48.910; Hamwic 60/40-3 (for obv./rev.); SCBI 63 (BM), 460-1 var. (obverse ornaments); North 108; SCBC 801A. EF, lightly toned. Good metal. Rare in high grade. (Image is from the seller.)

Note: see Nap's post for more information of the word 'sceat'.

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of Wessex. Æthelstan.

924-939. AR Penny (1.57g). Portrait type. Winchester mint; Æthelm, moneyer. + ÆÐELSTAN REX, crowned and draped bust right, linear circle surrounding, legend surrounding with linear and beaded border surrounding / + ÆÐELM MO VVINEI legend with linear and beaded border surrounding, small cross at center with additional small cross in field. North 675; SCBC 1095. Very well struck. EF, lightly toned. Very Rare.

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of All England. Harthacnut.

1035-42. AR Penny (18mm, 1.1g), joint rule with Harold I (1035-7). Jewel Cross type. London mint; Brun, moneyer. +HARDA-CNVT RE, diademed and cuirassed bust right / +BRVN ON NLVNDE, central cross of four ovals, joined at center by two circles, with pellet within. North 809; SCBC 1167. Near EF, lightly toned and well struck. Struck Spring-Autumn circa 1036 AD.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a few favorites...

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    The 2 escudos is terribly pretty. Everything is superb! Seems like I came back at the perfect time for the new year's numismatic eye candy party!
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Eye candy is an understatement - great imaging.
  • Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly British medals for me this year with these my favorites.

BHM 1117-George IV visit to Ireland. Matte finish with brilliant gold on leaves and flowers.

BHM 2535-William Wyon laudatory medal

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not so sure I have a favorite- but I continue to enjoy collecting

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

I always assumed the year of issue was the date on the coin, but I have no basis for that assumption.

EVP

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Some lovely coins and medals in this thread.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: EVillageProwler

Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

I always assumed the year of issue was the date on the coin, but I have no basis for that assumption.

EVP

From what I understand, Novodel's are official restrikes of historic Russian coinage. Just not sure when the restrikes were done.