Home Precious Metals
Options

Horse and Carriage 925 Updated******

Ebay Link

I just got this in the mail today. In the pictures it doesn't look that old, but when I opened the box there is some really nice toning from purples to some reds. It also has some verdigris (which is the greenish- blue mold looking substance) in some small spots. Would someone be able to make a guess at how old something like this was? If it doesn't pertain to precious metals enough please take down. But, since the metal weight is almost 2lbs I bought it for scrap price! I would love to find out more about this piece if anyone can help!

UPDATE************************************* Went to a local high end Pawn Shop in town right after I drop my kid off and it passed the silver test in two different spot's and he said he had no doubts that it is real sterling. The women told me if I unhooked it from the box bottom I might find a makers mark because of how heavy it is. The gentlemen also told me it has to be after the 1920's because it was cast not forged. He said he has never seen anything quite like it and could not guess the origin of where it was made.

Comments

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure on the age but that is pretty darn cool for melt. Go go wrong with that. Nice pick up.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like something you would see on Antique's Roadshow. Very cool.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Almost guarantee it's fake, and not silver...you may want to test...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    I did a magnet test and nothing was magnetic. Any other easy test's without ruining the look of it? I have searched everywhere for something like this online and can't dig anything up. I will test further as long as it doesn't damage it! I will say I have a lot of cigarette cases and the inside of the carriage looks like the inside of an old cigarette case very shinny.
    Is there anything that would give you that hunch (other then the price)? Do you see something in one of the photo's?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is a picture underneath the umbrella. Question is any other metal that is not magnetic tone the way silver does?
  • Options
    The listing said, Chinese silver, that about says it all, just because it's marked is meaningless...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    I don't think they were right with the Chinese origin. The case might look like a Chinese fabric, but this is very well put together like something I have never seen before. I don't know, you could be right I am just saying it looks like a lot of work went into this! I will find someone in the Orlando area to take a better look at it in the next couple of days! I will also say it was a new listing I think I snagged it within the first hour. Also, I have looked for a while and can't find anything like real or fake. I saw one on alibaba, but it was a totally different design.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI .. "Chinese silver" is an alloy used for jewelry. Its composition is 58% copper, 17.5% zinc, 11.5% nickel, 11% cobalt, and 2% silver...Also, "German Silver" or "Nickel silver" are metals that contain no silver, but are alloys of 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Opa the description is: antique Chinese Sterling Silver .925 would that be the same? I don't think this guy had a clue of what he had! That is just his description it is marked 925 on the carriage. Like I said I have got to do more research because the internet is no help on this one! The box they made for this thing is 8 lbs!
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally different type of item but similar enough and toned

not same but similar

completely different

ship with cannons

Each of these linked items are quite different, but stylistically they have similar characteristics.

Perhaps an email with pictures attached sent to these sellers would garner some info for you.

The one distinct difference to note between your piece and these, is on the linked items all the hallmarks are in chinese characters not numerical. But that may just be a time period difference.

Good Luck.

antiques ?

• Options
    Thanks for taken the time. I am going to give up tonight (tough for me to do). I don't think I am going to find this online, I found 2 horse and carriage in the same type box but I clicked on it and all info was gone on it. But, again thx a lot for the comparisons!
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it certainely looks cool,,,,,

It looks very detailed and well made,,,,,

even if it turns out not to be .925 silver I would not be that dissappointed if it were mine. image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Pauly,

the sooner people learn,

that everything can be stated and written perfectly to be perceived as true,

but an outright lie, the better off they would be...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Hydrant
    I don't trust 'em. For good reason.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    It's a cool looking piece, no doubt, but I think like others have said I think it's unlikely to be real silver. You could get your money back though.

Chinese silver .925

• Options
    You see thanks bluelobster, I would have never seen that page if I don't put this up. I am not arguing that it is real for I have no clue and for this reason I posted it here, where people are a lot more knowledgeable in this stuff! I don't know what it would be worth if it is just a base metal and I think I would keep it anyway if it was that. If you see this in person you know your not getting this in Walmart anywhere. One last thing, which I have not said yet on the bottom of the horses legs and on the carriage are built in 2 inch pins that stick out to make it stand inside this display box. They were made that way and part of the piece. I guess I can buy a silver kit and scratch those pins for it is all the same metal. And, to me it looks like it was built for the box
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly a unique set...and attractive. I would be surprised indeed if it were silver...

Good luck... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    UPDATE************************************* Went to a local high end Pawn Shop in town right after I drop my kid off and it passed the silver test in two different spot's and he said he had no doubts that it is real sterling. The women told me if I unhooked it from the box bottom I might find a makers mark because of how heavy it is. The gentlemen also told me it has to be after the 1920's because it was cast not forged. He said he has never seen anything quite like it and could not guess the origin of where it was made.

If anyone would like to see it a little more up close it is the worst video ever!

Youtube Video
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    I think it is beautiful and cool no matter what it turns out to be.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Alrighty..looks like you got a good deal on both counts, the silver and the piece itself. Good for you!
  • Options
    So this "high end" guy used a spectrometer on 2 places of exactly where on the piece?

This high end guy or his wife never found a "mark" but guessed it might be there if you take the piece apart? And not finding a mark still proclaimed the piece to be silver, oh yea the spectrometer...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    Why are you such a negative guy? It was Beverly hills pawn of winter garden (Also, own Beverly Hills Jewelry in Florida Mall)look up their web site. No, it was just two scratch tests (which she did proclaim, remember this is just a scratch test) Hence, the reason I put he said he has no doubt, If he did a spectrometer test, I don't think he would have added that! I think you are trying to go way to far here. It is not a museum piece or anything. There was no reason for a spectrometer. I don't understand why you are on these boards if all you are is negative! Just wanted to share it. Because, I know some people on here enjoy looking at different pieces. When you bring a piece of jewelry in that only has a 14k mark (which mine is marked 925 clearly) does the pawn shop bring out a spectrometer before they give you their hard earned money or is it just a insignificant scratch test? Would they have a spectrometer at the winter FUN show (even though this is a behemoth to carry into the convention center). It might be cheaper if they did it there, I don't think I have ever seen one there though. If you would like to pay for spectrometer testing for me I would be glad to abide just tell me where and when in the Orlando area. Until then Ta Ta
  • Options
    Lol, so trying to find out the truth on a piece is negative? I've heard it all now... Lol

Interesting piece on the unwillingness to possibly acknowledge a bad buy though and exhaust all avenues in determining a final exact content, especially when bought based on one...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Your right. Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    Malcontent