Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1876 Centenial four piece set with original holder.

DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saaaaaaaaaaweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, neat!
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice set but it's hard to tell if these are put together or not. the most difficult to locate are the Gilt medals, but I'm sure you already know that. hide it!!
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice set...who, what, when, where and why? There has got to be a story behind it.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It my is understanding that the plain bronze medal was not in the set originally. There was a white medal metal there instead. That one has the lowest mintage in the set, which is something like 550 pieces, although that number is not exact. The original issue price for this set was $11 with the case, which was not cheap in those days.

I am on an iPad, which prevents me from posting pictures. I'll post up my set later if there is interest. You might be able to find it with a search.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: oih82w8
    That is a nice set...who, what, when, where and why? There has got to be a story behind it.

This set was issued in conjunction with the 1876 Philadelphia a Centennial celebration. It was an equivalent of a 19th century world's fair. The fair was held in Fairmount Park. I believe that the home of the Franklin Institute is the only surviving building. There are many numismatic type items that were issued for this event including a set of medals in pressed wood.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive thought about assembling something along the lines of a 100 year mint set. It would have to be something special next year for my 40th, since I was born in 1976. That would certainly qualify! Is there a list somewhere of all the centennial items created?
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I love that saying at the bottom.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BillJones
    It my is understanding that the plain bronze medal was not in the set originally. There was a white medal metal there instead. That one has the lowest mintage in the set, which is something like 550 pieces, although that number is not exact. The original issue price for this set was $11 with the case, which was not cheap in those days.

I am on an iPad, which prevents me from posting pictures. I'll post up my set later if there is interest. You might be able to find it with a search.

Is this the original set you refer to Bill? I thank you for the info!
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

• Options
    Originally posted by: keets
    nice set but it's hard to tell if these are put together or not. the most difficult to locate are the Gilt medals, but I'm sure you already know that. hide it!!

Moon light mint, Not my piece but solid gold she is.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... a real treasure....very nice. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Here is the interior of my set. Don't feel badly if a substitute medal is in your set. It took me over two years to figure out which coins came in this set.

This set had been off the market for over 40 years according to John Kraljevich from whom I purchased the set. The pieces are lightly hairlined from storage in the case, and the case is in very good condition except for a broken catch.

Here is the pressed wood set.

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    wow

how gorgeous is this...STUNNING !!!!

i love it...a 4 piece set intact

thanks for sharing it's beauty with us
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a list somewhere of all the centennial items created?

There probably is a list/publication of centennial related medals and tokens, but I can guarantee that any such list would be incomplete. It would be a very long list too! Unless you're talking about US Mint pieces, then there would be far less.

I've been meaning to pick up one of the smaller US mint medals, but I've been holding out for one in a relatively high grade with a decent strike and absent of spots, scratches, hairlines etc. Very tough....
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a VERY cool set and in great condition too. What a great addition to any collection. You have great taste !!image I too find these beautiful with a very attractive design. Well done!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine. Pale in comparison....The box & sleeve are in amazing condition.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took me over two years to figure out which coins came in this set.

Bill, who/what was your source???

I have seen many of these 4-pc. Sets over the years in several combinations. I always assumed that at the point of purchase it was possible to choose which medals came in the Set. one constant seems to be that the large gilt medal and the small silver medal are always included. also, it seems that the small silver medal and the small bronze medal are the ones seen separately in smaller cases. until recently, the large bronze and the large gilt were the only ones I had seen individually in smaller cases.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file