Home U.S. Coin Forum

Chain Cent or 1796 Quarter?....poll

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thinking of getting a ...nice... one of one or the other.

Somewhere in 5 figure grade (I think)

Have had both but not COOL ones.

Got any suggestions? Reasons would be appreciated if applicable and alternatives will be read but likely not implemented.

Soooo.....

????????????

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never cared for the "scary" Liberty on the Chain Cent, although there is one variety (Eliasberg Periods) of it where she looks "better"...I voted for the Quarter. It would ultimately depend on the condition of the coins though.

1793 Chain Cent Periods - Eliasberg

5 figures? (((whistle)))
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great choices. I voted for the chain cent. I am not sure of level of difficulty, I just feel that finding the right chain cent with nice surfaces would be more difficult than finding the right quarter.

Tom

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TPRC

Great choices. I voted for the chain cent. I am not sure of level of difficulty, I just feel that finding the right chain cent with nice surfaces would be more difficult than finding the right quarter.

Hey! A valid point. At my age, one might not even present itself so I could save a lot of money. image
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the PCGS Price Guide

VF 30 Chain Cent (depending on variety) will be $40K-$50K

EF 40 1796 Quarter will be $49K

By the number of certified examples in all grades, I think they are close

but I am not sure based on a specific grade range. That might guide your

decision right there...if you go look at the pops closely.

But, bang for your buck, size of the coin, better condition example...it seems you can get a nicer quarter

for the same money that you would spend on a cent. These are NOT my thing so no one needs to

get all up in my business...I am just going off of price guides and number of certified examples that seem to exist.

If I had the extra cash, I know it would be a tough choice! 1st Cent from 1793 or 1st Quarter from 1796.

My uneducated guess is that there is more demand for the 1793 date than the 1796 date, hence the higher prices.

Tough choice. I still have not voted. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quarter for sure!
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I recall a story years ago in Coin World, that a dealer, maybe Al Adams, said he had been shown a few rolls of 1796 quarters, even proof like examples. So there may still be a hoard out there.
  • coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I voted for the cent. 1793, first ever cent. First coin overall, I believe, if you count the 1792 1/2 Disme as a pattern.

Lots to like about the cent.

On the other hand, no one cares what I think.

I Don't even care what I think, because I will never own either one. image

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chain cent, hands down.

Lance.
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Chain cent, can't be beat. Superb coin.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Had to go with the quarter on this one.

Mike
  • AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    Little question in my mind, chain cent.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i always was impartial to the chain cent.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chain Cent, no contest. Show it when you get either.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted quarter, b/c I like the design better and silver is more stable than copper.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Chain cent!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • JustMe2JustMe2 Posts: 179 ✭✭
    I have both so I will look at it backwards which is if I had to get ride of one which would it be and that would be the quarter. Chain cent is a keeper...
  • Either would be a great addition..

However I voted for the chain cent as I am partial to copper & bronze...

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to vote for the chain cent.
    It seems like it is on the top of most peoples "would really like to have one" list.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen a chain cent under $500K I liked...

I could find a 96 quarter with surfaces I liked for a lot less.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭
    The chain cent, for the reasons listed, as well as being a unique type, much more distinctive from a type perspective than the quarter. Of course I am a type set collector...
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless the Chain Cent is an an OGH, I'd go with the Quarter. Had an unpleasant experience with pre 1815 copper that I do not want to repeat.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True collectors will all go for the chain cent image
  • swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Quarter, at least in that price range. Up past about $100K, I'd take the cent.

Of course, the chances of my having enough money to spend on any chain cent or 1796 quarter that I could stand the sight of is pretty slim...
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait awhile and you'll likely can buy both for the price of one today.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

I haven't seen a chain cent under $500K I liked...

I could find a 96 quarter with surfaces I liked for a lot less.

Can't find a Chain Cent for under $500k you liked? Tough standard! I saw one for $155k a year or so ago that I liked a lot.

To me it's a tie. The Chain Cent is easier to find than the 1796 Quarter, but finding one with good color and surfaces is tough. The NICE Chain Cent is tougher than the quarter, but the not so nice one is easier.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • dibdib Posts: 311
    Steal at 25k?
    http://coins.ha.com/itm/large-...yView-Thumbnail-071515

Oh, and I vote for the chain cent.
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Definitely the Chain cent. It has more history and a larger audience for when you want to sell it. My "quest" has been to find

a truly choice VG to Fine Chain cent for the type set. Came close a few times, but there was always a problem that was too

obvious to ignore.
    Originally posted by: Elcontador
    Unless the Chain Cent is an an OGH, I'd go with the Quarter. Had an unpleasant experience with pre 1815 copper that I do not want to repeat.

I understand your frustration with early copper. When I got my collection certified, I got hammered unfairly on my early copper. It was only area where I got body bags. What is unfair treatment? When I sent the coin in for grading, I got a body bag. After I sold three of the coins, others sent them in and got them graded. image

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    I'll fan the flames a little. To me the Chain Cent, the 1796 Quarter and the 1795 Small Eagle $5 gold, the first U.S. gold coin, are about equal. I was equally happy when I acquired each of these coins.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're fussy enough, it will take you so long to find one or the other that you should jump at whichever you find first.

And if you're not fussy enough, they're probably both bad choices.

As obnoxious as that sounds, it's true.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chain cent.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dib

Steal at 25k?

http://coins.ha.com/itm/large-...yView-Thumbnail-071515

Oh, and I vote for the chain cent.

I got a thing against all alterations, real or imagined.

"Gennies" piss me off and always have. I'd like to see them wiped from the slabbing theater forever.

Rather have a cull than a "fixed" one.

Although, it's getting harder and harder to tell.

Pagiing D. Carr.... D.Carr, white courtesy phone please. image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've wanted a 1796 quarter for as long as I've collected coins, and intend to get one some day.

The chain cent, I guess I would "need" one to complete my type set, but I don't really like them, and might never own one.

Not until I had a small eagle quarter and most of the other 1790's type coins first.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    They're such iconic coins that between a nice VF chain or EF quarter at the close price points,

buy the first you find that's nice and PQ for the grade

• I have had both in awesome original XF ... I preferred the Chain Cent, most other people wanted to see the quarter. I think there is something extra special about being the first penny issued ... and that's my two cents worth ;-)
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    the quarter for me please...no need to defend or proclaim why either
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The chain is on my bucket list.

But, then, so is the quarter.

Frank

BHNC #203

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just couldn't decide.

Both coins are just too cool......
  • okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Chain!!!

BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't want to break the chain, soooo chain cent hands down.

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a silver collector so I would have to go for the quarter. Nothing wrong with either choice but tread carefully in making your purchase.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chain Cent - more historically significant, imo.
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Baley: I've wanted a 1796 quarter for as long as I've collected coins, and intend to get one some day.

So have I, bust quarters are among my favorites and the 1796 issue is the first of quarters. Also, it is a one-year type and quarters were not minted again during the 1790s! Even so, my recent thoughts on the Garrett-Pogue Chain cent have caused me to ponder again the question in the OP. I cannot decide and thus I cannot participate in this poll. Chain cents are the first U.S. coins and the Garrett-Pogue piece is amazing.

Pogue Family Coin Collection, Part 12 – The Amazing Garrett 1793 Chain Cent
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chain chain chain.......S1 or S4
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chain Cent all day!
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

BigEng: Chain chain chain.......S1 or S4

Is the Big Engine asserting that he prefers the PCGS certified SP-65 Mickley-Naftzger-Morelan S-1 to the PCGS MS-65RB Garrett-Pogue S-3? If so, was this decision difficult? Each is a great coin in different ways!

Pogue Family Coin Collection, Part 12 – The Amazing Garrett 1793 Chain Cent

Do any readers of this thread wish to comment on the Mougey-Downing-Reynolds S-2, which the Goldbergs will auction on Sunday? Also, Peter Mougey formed a terrific collection that has been largely forgotten, perhaps partly because it was auctioned by the firm of Thomas Elder rather than one of the Chapmans!

Wonderful Large Cent Coin Collection of Tom Reynolds to be auctioned by the Goldbergs
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file