Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 Proof platinum eagle- Are you in?

Do you think that the US mint's 2015 proof platinum eagle is a good buy? There will be no uncirculated version this year and the proof coin's mintage is limited to 4,000. It'll be 1 per household and is currently listed at $1200. Apparently the mint had some difficulty acquiring planchets for the coin.

Comments

• Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    I've been getting emails from a local auction house / dealer saying they will pay "X" money over cost if you agree to sell it to them by Dec 5th.

So in that regard you can at least make some money.

This is the first time I've seen these emails come my way, so I would expect that this is going to be a sold out in a hurry.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of quiet people here.

In the past I would say hell yes.....I'm still on the fence post.

Please, can someone convince me to buy this Medusa coin?

There are either folks that are lying and can't wait to buy and aren't telling nobody.

Or, folks like me and just can't figure where the heck platinum, even with low household limits is going.
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldbully
    Lot of quiet people here.

In the past I would say hell yes.....I'm still on the fence post.

Please, can someone convince me to buy this Medusa coin?

There are either folks that are lying and can't wait to buy and aren't telling nobody.

Or, folks like me and just can't figure where the heck platinum, even with low household limits is going.

Unless you do not like " Benjamin Franklin" . Dealers are sent out email willing to pay $100 extra for each coin.And also the mintage this low doesn't need a lot buyers like it to make it sold out.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    To take the words out of Goldbully's mouth... Hell yes. image

Im in for 4 or 5.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is an active thread on this already. I'm in for two to three.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not for me... sure, low mintage, but these just do not seem to really generate long term interest.

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, isn't it, how nobody buys when PM prices are low ("they'll never go up again. PMs are a sinkhole"), but everybody buys when prices are high ("Woo-hoo. People who have PMs are rich! I'm in!").

That's why old economic theory based on rational human choices based on self-interest are going out the window, and emotionality and irrationality are now being factored in.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    That theory's been out of date for a long time. In the mid 1970's, Dad owned a used car lot. The quickest way to make a car not sell, was to put a low price on it.
  • Options
    my post on the other thread:

almost a 50% markup? no thanks (for my personal collection)

as far as flipping goes: lets say they do sell out relatively fast. To really get a descent flip on one of these, there has to be a demand for this coin. There will certainly be a few out there who have to have one because of the low mintage, but those folks will probably (& should) buy one from the get go directly from the mint. How many people are there that can drop $1200 on a coin . . . not many I would think that aren't plugged in to the knowledge base to know that there are only 4000 and that they should just buy one from the Mint directly

I've been bit once too many times thinking I'll make a good profit flipping a "high demand" coin from the Mint, only to find out that there really isn't enough of a demand, and there are way too many flippers out there doing the same thing. pass this time.

Nooker
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I have decided to pass on this one, though I like the coin.
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    For all those that are "passing", I listed an offer on BST for a quick $50 profit. I'll pay for shipping (insured fedex label) too.

- Aron
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Write me last on ordering 1 platinum coin. Thanks. wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already "unavailable"!
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ianrussell
    Already "unavailable"!

In less than 10 minutes? With no technical glitches? I'm impressed!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    Which dealers are paying $100 over cost?

Scotsman's bullion division.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    $100 profit.......I'd hold out for a LOT more then that if you got one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: nurmaler

For all those that are "passing", I listed an offer on BST for a quick $50 profit. I'll pay for shipping (insured fedex label) too.

- Aron

$50......I don't think that figure is even close to what these are going to sell for in the coming weeks!! PASS!!
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I got the low mintage Plat - a BU 2008-W 1/2 OZ Eagle. The mintage was 2,253 . Some of the Spouse Coins are going to beat that number to death. No matter, my APE stays in MY cage.

• Options
    Originally posted by: FullStrike
    I got the low mintage Plat - a BU 2008-W 1/2 OZ Eagle. The mintage was 2,253 . Some of the Spouse Coins are going to beat that number to death. No matter, my APE stays in MY cage.

That half in FS brings killer $. I have one a half 08 proof and W MS in 70FS and have followed them occasionally for years. I've seen both SELL for over $4K but have not looked in a while.
  • Options

Two sold in the past hour for $1929...

Make that three - the third sold in the minute that it took me to write this (not my auction BTW).
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raufus

Make that three - the third sold in the minute that it took me to write this (not my auction BTW).

not quite...

one bought for $1,929.99 - with zero feedback - a new ebayer, the other two were $1,795.99 and $1,699.99
  • Options
    Originally posted by: nurmaler
    Originally posted by: Raufus

not quite...

one bought for $1,929.99 - with zero feedback - a new ebayer, the other two were $1,795.99 and $1,699.99

Nice catch. I was just looking at the asking price and number sold. Didn't realize that it had changed.

Will be interesting to watch all the pre sales.

First in hand may do VERY well.

Of course, as I said, the buyers will cancel if they are selling for less in hand than was paid on pre-sale.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question: How do I know these coins have now reached their maxed out retail value?

Answer: OperationButter's coins are unsold at his $1,750 asking price on the BST Board.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Mitch - you know as well as everyone else that the BST is not the determinant of full market value.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Lets see how brisk ebay sales become in the coming days and week.........

The 5 minute sellout will definitely help.

I can tell you this - the value is much higher than 1200.00 issue price image
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: wondercoin

Question: How do I know these coins have now reached their maxed out retail value?

Answer: OperationButter's coins are unsold at his $1,750 asking price on the BST Board.

Wondercoin

LOL!!!

As of right now that post has been up for LESS THAN 1 HOUR.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Watch out for the mysterious " First Sold Chicago" Guy. He could push these to $100,000 really fast.

;-)
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I had an emergency at the moment the sale started and I had to go. Looks like I missed this one. Oh well.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    I was sitting in my doctors waiting room. Got my order in about 5 minutes before they called me.
  • Options
    Got in, ordered and out in about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. One of the easiest orders for a new issue in a long time. Order # 03803xxx. I was amazed when I went back to the order page at 12:08 and it showed unavailable. The fastest sellout I can remember in the 15 years I've been ordering from the Mint. After the initial flippers dump their coins on eBay this issue may prove to be the biggest Christmas gift to us from the Mint this year. Haven't decided to hold, sell or get graded yet. This Plat issue is quite interesting.
  • Options

I'm thinking this will be my first Grading Submission. Of course I've been thinking that for a few years now ... just never seem

to get around to it. :-(

Just happy to have snagged one. Been missing out on the last bunch of stuff.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FullStrike

I'm thinking this will be my first Grading Submission. Of course I've been thinking that for a few years now ... just never seem

to get around to it. :-(

Just happy to have snagged one. Been missing out on the last bunch of stuff.

Well, it's a damn good thing you got around to it. Or are you just showin' off?

I know Im mighty jealous! I have never seen a sell out like this in my Mint buying years since 2006.

Congrats to all of those forum members(and you know who you are) that got the product today.

I hope you enjoy my use of the word product. image

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 5 minute sellout will definitely help.

I can tell you this - the value is much higher than 1200.00 issue price

I have to admit that the quick sellout was a surprise - I figured about 3 days. I guess the Mint's price was "low enough".
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BSABSA Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    And if you get one graded PF70 you will have added value. However, the quality of these coins in the past has been mediocre so I would guess a PF70 will go for $2k+.
  • Options

TTT

Anyone in for the 2017 version of the APE ? Same design as the 199x ..... how lame.

I don't want any. Butttt....... if the mintage limit is 3000... I'd find inspiration for one.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:
    TTT

Anyone in for the 2017 version of the APE ? Same design as the 199x ..... how lame.

I don't want any. Butttt....... if the mintage limit is 3000... I'd find inspiration for one.

10K. Not in.

Here's the current thread.

American Eagle 20th Anniversary Platinum Proof Coin - July 6th

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me.... not then, not now.... and... not likely in the future... ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file