Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Next Time You Buy an "Unopened" Proof Set...

Scammers can buy just the envelopes at (Guess Who?) Ebay

UcAAOSwAL9UjRfc">Envelopes

They may have already been opened, cherry picked and a lower grade set put in a new sealed envelope. As you can see, this Ebay vendor has a range of years you can buy.

A Public service message from Miami Hurricane

"Just because you were born on 3rd base doesn't mean you hit a triple"

Comments

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Even the original "sealed" sets can easily be steamed open and resealed VERY easily
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Says a lot about the seller.
  • Options
    UMCaneUMCane Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Steamed...for those scammers too lazy and cheap to make it look "minty fresh" image

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like any nice set, each one ( coins, fellas) stands on it's own merit. image
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    On eBay, an unopened proof set just means that it is currently unopened.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A number of years ago these 'unopened' early sets (and boxes) were the rage...

until someone opened the box and saw that it was fully of washers.

That ended the 'unopened' craze... for a while
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The proof sets we received from the Mint in the 1960's and later were never sealed..

The boxes were, but never were the envelopes.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: robec
    The proof sets we received from the Mint in the 1960's and later were never sealed..

Proof sets were sealed in the early 60s, I have bought sealed boxes and when opened the proof sets inside were sealed. Also 65 SMS sets were NOT sealed when opened from a sealed box.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I have written before, the replacement envelopes for proof sets have been available for many, many years. The original envelopes were made from "stock" envelopes and printing was applied with a common typeface by letterpress. The original purpose of the replacement envelopes was to freshen up the appearance of bourse dealers proof set stock and allow them to get rid of the well worn envelopes that so many of the proof sets resided in. There was really no "scam" involved as the replacement envelopes were easily available and well known.(One of the members of my coin club, a retired printer, made them up in his basement.) The bourse dealers at that time made no claims that they were "unopened" since few collectors cared about that back in the 1970's or 1980's.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of those old sets have really ratty envelopes....been handled and the contents removed

and replaced multiple times.... I have seen some envelopes that were open on one side - not the top....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: winky
    Says a lot about the seller.

That's my LCS image

I'm 100% sure they are not selling these envelopes for the wrong reasons....
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unopened Proof sets are about the dumbest buy around. I've said this since the 1960s. Back then there were stories that crooks were steaming open the envelopes, taking the coins and replacing them with sheets of zinc.

If you are never going to look at the coins, why buy them?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MadMarty

Originally posted by: robec

Proof sets were sealed in the early 60s, I have bought sealed boxes and when opened the proof sets inside were sealed. Also 65 SMS sets were NOT sealed when opened from a sealed box.

None of mine were. This included 1960 through 1964. We bought 2 per year directly from the mint. The flap on the envelopes were loose.........and still are.
  • Options
    TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    I am sure there are lots of opened sets being sold as in opened.

However,

Back in the 50's 60's 70's and 80's people ordered multiple sets from the mint and did not always open all of them. In fact most of the sets did not get opened until the it was given away.

Sometimes sets come in to shops in large groups that have never been opened.

It's to bad about the scammers out there.

But don't kid yourself there are lots of truely in opened sets out there

Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think this is not kosher then do an ebay search for "lens only".

Just put any old coins in and re-glue.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you hear "unopened" Proof sets, It's the same voice you hear when you hear "unsearched" Wheat Cents. Both are likely, Not always, but likely "opened already" and "searched through already"! Honesty is very difficult to find nowadays.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some things never cease, this is one of them.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: johnny9434
    some things never cease, this is one of them.

Most unopened sets are scams .. with new envelopes showing no aging, even though sets are 50+ years old

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in the case of 1961 Proof Sets as an example, I really doubt they took the time to seal 3,028,244 individual Sets. I have cotton-mouth just thinking about it. Common knowledge has been that the Sets were un-sealed by the Mint but may have self-sealed in storage if left in a high humidity environment. I have had Sets seal at my house. As for the envelopes, these are readily available and used because the original envelopes are usually in pretty bad shape.

Though a well intentioned post by the OP it is also uninformed, this has been commonly known for many years.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BillJones
    Unopened Proof sets are about the dumbest buy around. I've said this since the 1960s. Back then there were stories that crooks were steaming open the envelopes, taking the coins and replacing them with sheets of zinc.

If you are never going to look at the coins, why buy them?

Because that's where you find the undiscovered DCAM proofs image
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    [qScammers can buy just the envelopes at (Guess Who?) Ebay

No C'mon you are pulling my lariat.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never bought "unopened" rolls or "unopened" proof sets etc.

The premium frequently sought is ridiculous. I prefer to KNOW what

I am buying and if I have to pay accordingly, so be it.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Unopened Proof sets are about the dumbest buy around. I've said this since the 1960s. Back then there were stories that crooks were steaming open the envelopes, taking the coins and replacing them with sheets of zinc.

If you are never going to look at the coins, why buy them?"

I concur with this 100%. Couldn't have said it better.
  • Options
    UMCaneUMCane Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    There is no law against selling envelopes, and I'm sure a few buy them to replace the ratty ones. Face it, dont buy an "unopened" proof set expecting something special.. consider yourself lucky if there are coins inside.

Another Ebay exclusive

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never could believe people would buy these without seeing the coins. Nor could I believe somebody would sell them without knowing whats inside - Cameos?

I bet there is a market for the envelopes where one can makeup an "unopened" proof set lol.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go against the grain from most of the responders on this thread. I do think you have to be extremely careful about buying unopened proof sets - especially on eBay when you don't get the chance to inspect the envelopes/coins prior to purchase.

For me, I think of unopened proof sets like they are lottery tickets. You face long odds of finding something nice.

A few observations on sets I have purchased. First, I bought a number of 1965 SMS sets in the original unopened box of 10 sets. All were sealed inside the sealed box. Purchased in North Carolina so maybe they sealed themselves in the more humid climate. Second, I bought a large number of unopened sets from a "one time dealer" who set up at a show in Michigan. He and his father set aside something like 25 sets each year from 1957 to 1964. They sat in a closet until he needed cash for another purpose. All were sealed, but they had been in a closet for over 40 years. Maybe he sealed them himself, but the envelopes were crisp and not mishandled.

Anyway, I search these sets for both cameos and also for varieties. Over the years I have scored much more on the varieties than the cameos.

So here is my case in point. In the date run of sets I bought from the dealer (above) in Michigan, I found the following coin.

So I guess I hit the lottery....PCGS DDR PR66

And the rest of the story... I went back to the show and bought the rest of the 1960-64 sets. Guess what? I found more DDR's....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice CameoNut. I've always wanted one of those.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Bill Jones:Unopened Proof sets are about the dumbest buy around. I've said this since the 1960s. Back then there were stories that crooks were steaming open the envelopes, taking the coins and replacing them with sheets of zinc. If you are never going to look at the coins, why buy them?

While some buyers do intend to "open" such sets and enjoy seeing the previously "sealed" coins, perhaps like opening a wrapped present, I agree with Mr. Jones, for the most part. IMO, it is not a good idea to acquire such Proof sets from any seller.

insightful10@gmail.com
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    On eBay, an unopened proof set just means that it is currently unopened.

And on Ebay, an unsearched roll just means the seller forgot what common date coins he put in it.

I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unopened Proof sets are about the dumbest buy around.

I disagree, I think the dumbest was the GSA sealed boxes that used to sell for north of $400. leave it sealed or open it to expose the 1883-CC worth about $175.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Double mints sets from the 40's and 50's are faked as well- holders,cover sheets and envelopes.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pre-sale items from the U.S. Mint are probably opened , just as a precaution to omit the buyer's identity. One might hope.
  • Options
    KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone on here that sales legit unopened sets?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

As several earlier posters have said, the envelopes were not sealed by the mint.
    I have looked through likely 100,000 proof sets, perhaps more, many in original boxes from the mint (unopened) and I have never seen one that was sealed that did not have water or moisture damage.
    Never.
    The "unopened", "sealed" stuff is just a big scam.
    Anyone could simply seal the envelope themselves, or replace the envelope and "seal" it.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2018 9:25PM

@KeithMS70 Estate sales that are ran by the non-coin collecting family member(s).

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd never buy an unopened proof set. I collect the coins therein, not the sealed envelope.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    @KeithMS70 Estate sales that are ran by the non-coin collecting family member(s).

I bought this old box and these sets from an estate sale probably 5-6 years ago. I have not opened them, maybe one of these days, for now, I like the mystery.
    photo IMG_1293.jpg
    photo IMG_1292.jpg
    photo IMG_1295.jpg

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sealed envelope scam has been going on for years... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file