Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found one of my early Walker holy grails

Took a little while, but here's a piece I can live with for my collection.

PCGS VF-30:

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like a really nice coin. Interestingly, there are at least two early WLHs that I have found significantly more difficult to find in this grade/eye appeal than this piece.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice surfaces on that sucker!
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB
    That looks like a really nice coin. Interestingly, there are at least two early WLHs that I have found significantly more difficult to find in this grade/eye appeal than this piece.

I am going to guess the 17-S obverse and 19-D, Tom. I also think the 19-S is underrated.

By the way, very nice example of the 21-S.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very wholesome. Congrats
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice example there, Erik, but a little surprised it was hard for you to find
    at the VF-something level....I'm sure getting that 'look' was part of the reason.

True XF and AU 21-S walkers are very scarce, but below this technical grade level they are somewhat routine, and I see them more frequently than the 21P and D walkers. <Edited to add, I feel the 16S, 17S Obv, and 19D are also tougher in the VF grade range, with 17D Rev and 19S being somewhat comparable to the 21S.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice example EF!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that look!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very nice WLH.... great eye appeal.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess the 2 are the 20-D & 23-S?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the props! Walkerguy21D, you are correct on seeing the 21-S a bit more often in VF than the other 21's. I kept running into VF-20's the most often, with the occasional 25 now and then. A few had the look I liked, but were way overpriced. This is the first decent 30 I've run across in a bit, and the 35's I've seen have been nice, but much pricier since it really starts to jump in that grade.

TomB, I was wondering if the 16-S was one of the dates you were referring to, along with the 20-D? I've seen too many borderline blast white VF and XF examples for those 2 dates, ones I would always p***** on.

Meanwhile, here is my early Walker collection, slowly getting closer to completion:

My early Walkers
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd just like to clear up my post a bit to mention that I meant no disrespect whatsoever to EFP. Additionally, none was directed at the coin in the OP either for its grade, its look or its difficulty. Truly, it is a wonderful piece. The 1921-S WLH has a reputation, even in non-WLH circles, of being very difficult in true VF and higher. This reason, in combination with my own observation at recent shows that the 1921-S has become a bit easier to find, led me to make the comment that it was interesting that this piece was that difficult for you to find, yet has appeared on the bourse a bit more frequently as of late.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super looking Walker. image
  • Options
    Here would be my estimate of the five scarcest early walkers in VF, in approximate order:
    21D, 21P, 17S Obv, 16S, and 19D
    In XF there are changes: 21S, 21D, 21P, 20D, 19D/17S Obv.
    In AU, it would look like this: 21S, 20D, 23S, 21D, 19D/19S

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice no-distractions piece.

I preferred my circs with a little more black-and-white contrast (you know the look I mean), but there is certainly nothing wrong with that one!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, nice addition

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Walkerguy21D

Here would be my estimate of the five scarcest early walkers in VF, in approximate order:

21D, 21P, 17S Obv, 16S, and 19D

In XF there are changes: 21S, 21D, 21P, 20D, 19D/17S Obv.

In AU, it would look like this: 21S, 20D, 23S, 21D, 19D/19S

Thanks Walkerguy21D as that's good info to know.

I've never chased any WLH's below AU50.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Thanks Walkerguy21D as that's good info to know.

Just my opinion, based on a few years of observation image though my focus the past few years has been on copper, and
    I haven't kept up with pop reports, auction appearances, etc.
    Hopefully Supertooth will join the discussion shortly, and you can get an expert opinion.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tough one in higher grades. Nice WLH!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Nice circ example of a tough date Walker.

Mike
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice wholesome coin.

Congratulations
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Nice no-distractions piece.

I preferred my circs with a little more black-and-white contrast (you know the look I mean), but there is certainly nothing wrong with that one!

Like this one? The obverse is great, but the reverse is a non-match appearance-wise.

There is a real nice looker on eBay, but he wants WAY too much $$$ for it.

23-S on ebay
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

I'll guess the 2 are the 20-D & 23-S?

I think the 20-D and 19-S & D are hardest to find nice in vf30 or 35.

A surprisingly tough one with good/great eye appeal is the 17-S rev in 30/35/40, even tho it's common and low priced.

I snagged these 2 some time back and haven't seen much since.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Nice tougher date/grade! Congrats. These get pricey REAL quick in small grade bumps.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Love the Walker.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the kind of coin that collectors should insist on. It is original, evenly struck, has excellent eye-appeal and no problems. Nice coin!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    That's a very nice 21-s.

Of the three 1921s, the D is probably the hardest get in vf30/xf.

A little more grunge and black/white contrast would be nice, but one can't have everything.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. I think that would be a fun set to build
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    Awesome 21D, BAJJERFAN....I don't recall seeing you post that one previously.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Walkerguy21D

Awesome 21D, BAJJERFAN....I don't recall seeing you post that one previously.

I probably have a time or three. Used to have this one, but like a fool I sold it.

• Options
    Originally posted by: 2ltdjorn

Nice coin. I think that would be a fun set to build

Even for a lot of the later dates, it's hard to find nice eye appealing examples. It seems that whenever a stash is sold as junk silver, the nicer ones get picked out. I wonder what a search of a $1000 bag of junk walkers would turn up these days.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: FadeToBlack

Circ F-VF-XF early date walkers are awesome and make for a very nice if not impressive set if you get them matched up well. It's a long-term project for me, 6 holes left in my album but about 10-12 coins I'd like to upgrade.

An acquaintance gave me a couple of Whitman albums for Walkers so I've been trying to fill some of those holes. Even cracked out a few PCGS holdered coins for the cause. I never thought I'd admit to doing that.
  • Options
    One of few raw decent, meaty 21D's I've ever found in the wild, picked up at a FUN show a few years back. I had two strong offers from dealers within 10 min of acquiring it:

I've had a number of midgrade 21S walkers, raw and slabbed.
    I liked this one as the dealer priced it at Fine Bid....I later sold it to a forum member for his collection.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful 21-s, and a very nice set of vf-ef Walkers Erik!
  • Options
    Hello Folks---- Thanks to Walkerguy21D for his kind thoughts.

Previous comments are pretty well right on. Don't think that it much matters once you get to say the VF25 to AU55 grades. Those early coins are simply TOUGH to come upon.

If I had to write a list in those grades, I'd likely say the 19D and the 20D----along with the 21D. Then, close behind, would be the 21 and the 23S---along with the 17S Obv.

Then, I'd go to the 21S and the 19S and the 19P---followed closely by the 16S coin.

But, I hasten to add that when you are looking for coins that haven't been fooled or tampered with---that adds ANOTHER degree of difficulty into the mix. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file