Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions and guess the grade on my new purchase.

CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just picked this up on ebay. I wanted one to replace my blast white example. I love the toning. Does anyone else? Let me know what you think.

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd give about a 64. Rather weak strike and the tic's on the reverse. Good time to buy as this series is in another slump.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan of speckled toning and it's tough to see any contact marks though it... I like the reverse.

36-D is the better date and grade wise gosh MS64 or up.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grade would be MS-64.

I am not a fan one sided toning and tab toning on commemorative half dollars. I know that's the way the many of the "never been touched" old commemoratives look, but I don't care for it from the esthetic point of view.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BillJones
    My grade would be MS-64.

I am not a fan one sided toning and tab toning on commemorative half dollars. I know that's the way the many of the "never been touched" old commemoratives look, but I don't care for it from the esthetic point of view.

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gut is telling me 65. I am guessing the obverse is more lustrous in hand than it is in that picture.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: golden
    Originally posted by: BillJones
    My grade would be MS-64.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a coin I would not buy regardless of the grade on the holder. I don't like that type of toning, especially when the other side is essentially white. The grade ... probably a 64 but hard to tell because of the type of obverse toning.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the consensus is that the majority would like my other example here. Most of my commem set are toned coins. That's why I purchased this one. I too think the luster on the toned coin will be much nicer in hand. Not sure which I will keep. How about both of them?

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too would've been in the 64 camp if SOMEBODY didn't end it so soon.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck
    Not a fan of speckled toning and it's tough to see any contact marks through it... I like the reverse.

Me too.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting coin!
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I happen to like the toning. It's caramel and gold and not too dark. Looks original. I would grade it at least 64. Nice pickup.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely prefer your second example.... the first looks mud splattered....Cheers, RickO
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the example from my type set, which is graded MS-64. The strike was soft on these coins, especially on the reverse.

imageimage

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of the coins I posted are PCGS MS65. There is a lot of field on this coin. I have noticed a few minor ticks are allowed for a MS65.

From the photo the reverse looks like a lock MS65. Very clean. I cannot grade this coin from the photos. I will let you know what it looks like when I get it in hand.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking piece!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file