Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When and Why Did Half Dollars Stop Circulating

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Barbers and Walker are always worn, the Franklins not so much and the Kennedys not at all. When did people stop using half dollars, and why?

Comments

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question and i always wondered that myself. I thought that the dollar bill became more important hence more widely used for circulation in the 50s whereas in earlier years the half dollar was more widely used.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe as the value of money lessened people started to need to carry more and didn't want all that weight in their pocket?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    They still give them out in change at West Virginia University football games in the concessions. All the food and drinks are priced in whole or half dollar amounts, so they always give Kennedy Halves in change.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly they stopped circulating about the same time as the introduction of the Kennedy half. I think one factor was that few, if any, vending machines accepted half dollars.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the decline of use of the half dollar coincided with the change over to clad.

A hefty silver half transformed into a big hunk of nothing.

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    As you might expect, this question has been asked a few times over the past ten years or so.

As I recall, on those occasions, some of our more senior members (perhaps even CaptHenway) suggested that half dollars circulated readily until the Kennedy half dollar was introduced. (An older friend of mine, when asked one time, confirmed that she remembered spending and receiving Franklin halves.)

Reportedly, the Kennedy half was in such great demand as a souvenir that it wasn't seen in circulation for a number of years and the manufacturers of vending machines didn't make sure that their machines would accept halves.

As a result, when the Kennedy half did return to circulation, most people had forgotten the denomination and those who did couldn't use them in vending machines, at which point the denomination pretty much stopped being used, except in some slot machines.

Since I live in New Jersey, when I used to get rolls of halves from the bank (in the 1990s, mostly) I found many coins whose reeded edged had been pounded flat, presumably by long usage in slot machines.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half dollars circulated very freely until the introduction of the Kennedy half in 1964. After that they just stopped being used in regular commerce. There are several reasons why this happened. First, the increasing value of silver at the time caused the silver coins to be hoarded for their silver content. Half dollars were prime targets for this hoarding because they were the largest regular circulation coin at the time (Silver Dollars did not circulate to any extent). Second, the hoarding of the Kennedy halves took place on a m*****ive scale. Essentially, they never did circulate, they were just hoarded.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Half dollars are heavy and useless today. Most people don't carry any money any more.
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth
    Half dollars circulated very freely until the introduction of the Kennedy half in 1964. After that they just stopped being used in regular commerce. There are several reasons why this happened. First, the increasing value of silver at the time caused the silver coins to be hoarded for their silver content. Half dollars were prime targets for this hoarding because they were the largest regular circulation coin at the time (Silver Dollars did not circulate to any extent). Second, the hoarding of the Kennedy halves took place on a m*****ive scale. Essentially, they never did circulate, they were just hoarded.

I asked the same question a couple years ago and this was the conclusion of the previous thread.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many people saved Kennedy half dollars as a memento of Pres. Kennedy. Also, when the silver was removed from the dime and quarter, the half still had 40% silver, so a lot of people saved the halves. Plus, most vending machines don't accept half dollars. Those three reasons combined are IMO why the half doesn't circulate.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Shortgapbob
    They still give them out in change at West Virginia University football games in the concessions. All the food and drinks are priced in whole or half dollar amounts, so they always give Kennedy Halves in change.

Same at Michigan State. Just got one last weekend.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    They freely circulated in the 1950s.

They stopped in 1964....everyone hoarded the "new" Kennedy halfs as they were felt to be collector items or momentos to our beloved recently slain president.

Then with the switch to clad in 1965 everyone started hoarding all silver coins.

They never caught on again after 1965 .
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

The auto censure is ridiculous!
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do remember them circulating a bit in the early to mid 1970s when I was a kid. The first bicentennial coin I received in change was at a fruit stand in 1975 and I remember it because it was a half dollar and dated 1776-1976 which I thought was odd because it was still 1975.

Oswald killed Kennedy

Kennedy killed the half.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mariner67

They stopped in 1964....everyone hoarded the "new" Kennedy halfs as they were felt to be collector items or momentos to our beloved recently slain president.

Then with the switch to clad in 1965 everyone started hoarding all silver coins.

This describes it very well, IMO. image
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    As recently as 2000, many slot machines here in Reno and Carson had slot machines that paid out in halves. This was before the conversion to paper tickets. These days, an occasional blackjack table still carries them for the oddball payouts. It wasn't uncommon to grab several silver out of a $200 bucket on a payout.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was child and in my early teens, I used to get half dollars in change. It didn't happen a lot, but most all of the coins I did get were worn down to Fine or VF. I can't remember ever getting a Mint State half dollar in circulation. Sometimes I would get a well worn Walker, but that was unusual.

The Kennedy half dollar changed everything for the 50 cent piece. People hoarded them as souvenirs and did not spend them. Just at the time when the novelty with the Kennedy coin might have come to an end, silver prices began to be creep up to the point where the metal content of the 90% silver coins was approaching their face value. That combined with a shortage of silver resulted in the Coinage Act of 1965. That give us our current clad coinage and, for a while, the 40% silver Kennedy half dollar. Had the half dollar been made into a copper-nickel clad coin instead of a silver clad coin, the Kennedy might have returned to circulation.

In the coming years silver prices reached the point where the 40% silver half dollars were worth more than their face value. People hoarded them as well. In 1971 the Kennedy half dollar became a base metal clad coin. At that point it made no sense to hoard them, but people continued to do it. They were confused by the fact that the 1965 to 1970 coins could be melted for a profit, but the later coins could not. They hoarded everything. I can't tell you how many private hoards of coins I've seen that had copper-nickel clad half dollars in them. People were surprised when I'd tell them, "Spend this in good health."

That sums up the death of the half dollar. It had nothing to do with the weight of the coin, at least not initially. The coin just couldn't get into circulation to any extent because, first, the Kennedy fascination and, second, because people were confused over its melt value.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    If it had nothing to do with the weight then carry a handful around in your pocket for a day. How many of you today even carry change in your pocket. I know I don't as all my purchases ar with a credit card. I do not even carry dollars now.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    blame those tight Levi jeans..it was difficult just getting your hand in and outimage
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dpoole

Originally posted by: mariner67

This describes it very well, IMO. image

The vending machines only worked with the small change, quarters and below also.

Sodas, candy, cigarettes, subway turnstiles, all the things you used change for at that time.

Slots were never made big enough for the half, part of the reason we adopted the small dollar coin too.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember going to the bank and bringing home bags ( $1000 ) of half dollars to look through to fill my Whitman folders. This was in 1964.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reasons are correctly stated by many in preceding posts. They were never too heavy

for me since I never had many of them. I still see some clad halves in cash registers from time to time... but that is rare. I liked the half dollar, probably because, as a kid, it was a lot of

money and impressive size. I still use change and usually have about a dollar and a half in my

pocket.... some cents, nickels, dimes and quarters. I use them in purchases.... giving exact

change when possible. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Between the credit card and dodo bird, the half went south.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure... I always thought they were very cool when getting paid with them for mowing the neighbors lawns... The odd Frankie and Walker would come along as well... image

ABimage
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

while cumbersom, i think it is an enjoable experience paying with ikes, kennedys, prez, sac etc.

overall, my experience and those recipients appear positive.

useless, not imo but cumbersom and a bit risky to having laying around the vehicle.

why did face value silver coinage stop circulating. seems obvious. image

heavy and valuable (value being a debatable subject).

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to recall it was right around when a pack of cigarettes hit 50 cents.

Between the switch to clad (making coins just as worthless as paper); and inflation at it's height in the late 60's and early 70's, the weight (and size) to value ratio dropped, and make paper money replacement more feasible.

The other death knell was the rise of the general use credit card (such as BankAmericard) in the late 60's. Carrying cash in general was less popular.

I also agree with the switch to the Kennedy seemed to make it (at the time) more of a commem than a circulating coin. But by that time, it was easier to throw 50 cents into the sock drawer than it was, say 20 years before when the dollar had a higher worth.
  • Options
    Here are some items of possible interest.

in 1968 Canada removed silver from the half, reduced the weight from 11.66 grams to 8.1 grams, reduced diameter from 29.72 mm to 27.1 mm.
    Now halves do not circulate in Canad. We can't blame Kennedy for that.

Beginning ni 1971 in the USA, halves were readily available at banks, but not in circulation. The banks had got out of the habit of using them. Other than banks few went out of their way to get halves, even pre-1964..

In 1975 I asked a local bank branch manager to get me some bicentennial halves. He said he had hundreds of dollars worth of halves on hand and did not want any more. He would order me a bag, if I promised to take them all. I got friends at work to pool their money and come up with a thousand dollars. The coins came in and the Bank President at the home office grabbed them all and I had to return all that money on the eve of vacation. I sort of enjoyed reading about him later when he was arrested for bank fraud.
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was a junior in high school (1965-1966) I started hoarding silver at the school cafeteria. I'd go thru and buy something inexpensive to get silver in change. They did use halves for change which were usually heavily worn walkers and franklins (50-50).

A friend had been in Poland shortly after the Kennedy half came out and told me waitresses would get more excited by getting a Kennedy half than they would have with a $5 tip.
  • Options
    UMCaneUMCane Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

That's the way it happened. Had they not switched to clad in 1965, many more Kennedy's would have made it to circulation. But halves were heavy and a pain to carry around. I could never get them to fit in my bell-bottom jeans

"Just because you were born on 3rd base doesn't mean you hit a triple"

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mother worked in a c-store in the mid-70s and brought home silver from the register. She brought home 3-5 silver halves a week, so halves were still circulating some. As has been stated, most of the walkers were worn flat, but franklins were still decent.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Hydrant

About a month ago, my friendly bank teller asked me if I would like to buy some half dollars that another customer had just brought in. I said, "sure." She brought out $200 worth. That's four hundred coins. O.k. I looked through them. Nothing of any collectable value. What a suprise! Now, I've got four hundred half dollars. They're really heavy. Extremely heavy. And bulky. I bought gas. Paid for it with some of the half dollars. Do you have any idea how ridiculous it was handling giant handfuls of half dollars to pay for that gas? Well, it was, ridiculous. That's why people don't use half dollars anymore. Because it's ridiculous.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today, it's a different story.

I remember probably 20 years ago, when I gave out a

Kennedy Half at the movies - the 20-something behind

the window looked at it, and said "Haven't seen one of these

in a long time".

Then, because I'll spend odd pieces, about 10 years ago, I gave

one at a Starbucks (or Peets?), and the vendor said "What's that?"

Then, about 5 years ago, I spend one someplace, and the person

who took it looked at it for a few seconds, and then said "WHO is that?"

With the younger generation(s), we've gone from "Haven't Seen One in awhile",

to "What's That?", to "Who is That?"

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

What he said. It is ironic that Eva Adams who was director of the Mint at the time blamed coin collectors for the shortage of silver coins that had been developing slowly since the early 1960s (when I remember the coolness of Franklin halves -- an everyday occurrence in change to that point -- and Walking Liberty halves as well in change, along with a very infrequent Barber slick, usually a dime). The widespread use of vending machines and dime telephone booths was also to blame -- as was the rise of roll hoarding. But when President Kennedy was **********inated (let's see what the robo-editor does to that one), the introduction of the new design made the problem so much worse, as everybody hoarded the half dollars, and it was about that time that the smaller-denomination silver coins as well disappeared from circulation. Sure, you could still get 40% halves from 1965-67 but no one cared about those back then.

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At one time a half dollar would buy a Hamburger and a coke. Many kids allowances were 50c a week. I remember this being 41c circa 1964. So these coins circulated up until around that time.

The vending machine industry prefers quarters, half dollars were never even in the equation. I believe this is another reason for the demise of the half dollar. One can use half dollars at fast food drive thrus, especially the dollar menu. I have a large change box in the glove compartment of my car. I like to give fast food outlets exact change.

Why not use half and dollar coins now? The vending machine industry does not want to retool plus it would appear to the public an open admission that our money has declined in value. Half dollar coins are probably too bulky for our current pay by cell phone culture.

As an investor I prefer half dollar and dollar sized silver coins.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    I still ask for them from banks. $2 bills as well. I eat at cheap restaurants so leaving a $2.50 tip is appropriate. $2 bill plus a half dollar. At a more medium scale restaurant I did leave 4 $2 bills as tip.

Yes, they really stopped circulating after the Kennedy was issued in 1964 because people were understandably too sentimental about spending a Kennedy Half at that time in history. And the trend continued.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They stopped circulating due to weight as otherwise you'd see young folks with saggy pants around their ankles.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Growing up, I had a paper route in the 1970s. When going around to get paid (ironically it was called "collecting") I always got at least one or two Kennedy halves. They were fairly common. Sometimes I even got 40% halves, which I always kept. But by 1980, you almost never saw them in circulation.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite restaurant tip is an Ike, sac, half, SBA and the odd no date buff.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    In 1964 people collected Kennedy Half Dollars, fewer were

circulating.

In 1965 silver came out of the coins and people were hoarding. With Franklins

and Walkers you didn't even have to check the date.

More and more vending machines took $1.00 bills instead of 50 cent coins.

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Up until about 1980 I used to get halves in change from the school cafeteria. Not often - maybe once per month. Since then, none.

They have the same problem as all of our coins for circulation - they don't buy anything.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tellers at my bank save me any funny money that comes in. I average 5-10 Br***** bucks a month, the occasional Susie B. or $2 bill, and only one time did anybody ever deposit any half dollars, 7 or 8 pieces.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Are any of you guys familiar with this project?....http://www.coincommunity.com/f...D=115851&whichpage=311

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file