Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWPS Washington Diplomatic Medal

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 31, 2017 8:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum
I thought it was so beautiful so I bought it

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That looks wonderful! image

From looking at the insert, one might think this struck in 1792? When was this struck?
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is beautiful!
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breathtaking.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one gorgeous medal.

What a chunk o' gold!
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    2013 I believe, Zoins

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an interesting and beautiful design Mark... A big congrats!

ABimage
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    they do make some beautiful pieces,tho I usually confine myself to silver versionsimage
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2017 9:11AM
    Here's the description from Stack's. Another mystery is where the original dies went. I wonder if they're still at the Philadelphia Mint somewhere....

"1776" United States Diplomatic Medal. Paris Mint Restrike. Gold. 41 mm. 2 ounces. 999 fine. Gem Proof Deep Cameo (PCGS).

Originally produced during the Presidency of George Washington, this medal has re-appeared in at least three reincarnations. First made at the Paris Mint in 67 mm size, these huge gold medals were presented to foreign diplomats in honor of their services to the United States. As American minting technology advanced, it became possible for these medals to actually be struck in America, and the dies were dispatched from Paris to the Philadelphia Mint, but they promptly went missing and were never used to produce American-made examples of this medal. By the 1870s interest in medals was increasing in this country, and Chief Engraver Charles Barber was tasked with preparing new dies based on lead proofs of the original medals. The name of the original French designer (Dupre) was retained, however Barber unobtrusively added his name and the date 1876 to the new dies. Medals (Julian CM-15) were then produced for collectors in bronze, and occasionally in silver for the next hundred years. Recently the Monnaie de Paris, the original minting place of these medals, was contacted to reproduce the United Stated Diplomatic Medal once again, in a smaller size, using the most modern of medal production techniques. The result is this impressive Brilliant Proof medal with an adaptation of the original design struck in gold to a total weight of two ounces. Now in a more manageable 41 mm size, encapsulated and graded by PCGS, this medal is again available to collectors. This is a flawless example, housed in a luxurious Monnaie de Paris case.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: chumley

they do make some beautiful pieces,tho I usually confine myself to silver versionsimage

There is a silver one on the bay.

• Options
    Looks great in silver as well. Great design

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat design, congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Naked pictures

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is true artwork and a lot of gold. You can't go wrong IMHO. Nice pickup.

Nice label and presentation box, too. image

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Originally posted by: savoyspecial

2013 I believe, Zoins

It is 2013 according to GovMint.com.

The silver mintage was 10,000:

There's also a 1oz gold version:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful medal.... I prefer it in gold, but the silver is nice too....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two beautiful Ozs. of gold.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    The historical background relating to these is very interesting and is not often appreciated by numismatists. There is relevant information in the catalogue for the SBG auction on 10/01/15 at Sotheby's.
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    Originally posted by: cardinal

Congrats! I love the rendering of the heraldic eagle on the reverse!

BTW, these fit well in dual-coin holders!

Curse you! Looks sick in the dual holder. You are costing me $$$$$

That eagle is fierce

mark

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

That eagle is fierce

mark

I do like the look in the dual coin holder. However, the original PCGS insert on your medal is a special licensed label, so if you reholder the medals (like I did), you can't keep or reuse that label!
  • Options

That eagle is fierce

mark

I do like the look in the dual coin holder. However, the original PCGS insert on your medal is a special licensed label, so if you reholder the medals (like I did), you can't keep or reuse that label!

PCGS should definitely allow you to use those special labels with grades. That would be very cool. Nice medals, in both single and dual holders!
  • Options
    Wow, just saw that this original from the Cardinal Collection was discovered in 2013 and sold in 2015. The finest known of just 4 originals.

I love how Jefferson wished these to be awarded in gold with a matching gold chain with a length according to term of service to be sold as a financial gift. Nice signs of the times.

Stack's: October 2015 Rarities Auction Lot #3

CoinWorld: John Kraljevich Jr. article

• Options
    US Mint used to offer restrikes in bronze:

Product Page from 2005
  • Options
    PCGS should definitely allow you to use those special labels with grades. That would be very cool. Nice medals, in both single and dual holders!

I actually spoke to Don Willis about that a couple years ago. It's not a matter of PCGS allowing or disallowing the special labels. A third party marketer sponsored the 2013 restrikes with the Paris Mint, and made arrangements to have them encapsulated by PCGS with those labels. As part of that program, that marketer retained the title to all of the rights for the use of the special labels, and PCGS is bound by that agreement.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MichaelS

US Mint used to offer restrikes in bronze:

Product Page from 2005

Since the original Diplomatic Medals were so rare, and the original dies from Dupre were lost long long ago, Barber was tasked with creating new dies for restrikes for the 1876 Centennial celebration, such as these:

Starting around the 1960's, the U.S. Mint began offering "yellow bronze" restrikes from the Barber dies (or copies of those dies), such as these:

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, this is cool as all freakin' get-out!image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Originally posted by: TomB

Now, this is cool as all freakin' get-out!image

I recently learned of this as well and was totally engaged by it. Seem to love all things that Dupre touched. Some are in my reach and others not so much. On those I will improvise. The Barber connection makes it all that much cooler

mark

• Options

Since the original Diplomatic Medals were so rare, and the original dies from Dupre were lost long long ago, Barber was tasked with creating new dies for restrikes for the 1876 Centennial celebration

From this article:

Barber's version was based off of an original lead proof held by Dupre's son. Do we know where that medal is now?

The original 2 gold medals were awarded to Marquis de la Luzerne and to the Count de Moustier, who had served as Ministers from France to the United States.

Also of note, JK mentions that Henry and S.H. Chapman, who owned an original medal, said that the Barber pieces were "counterfeits" but they are not thought of this way today.
  • Options
    This is interesting. Barber's work is said to have been based off of original lead proofs.

This article said that Dupre's son loaned his father's lead proof medal to the US Mint.

This auction description says James Marcon purchased the lead proofs in Paris.

So were the lead proof(s) loaned or purchased from Dupre's son? And how many were / are there?

yru2b's auction description for posterity:

Originally posted by: yru2b on eBay (item 261202009041, ended Apr 18, 2013 , 3:39PM)

DIPLOMATIC MEDAL “To Peace And Commerce” (Julian Number CM-15):
    67mm. Copper, Bronzed. Charles Barber after Augustin Dupre, Choice Uncirculated.

Obverse with America; Symbolized by the guise of a Bare Breasted Indian Princess, Clad only in the Freshly
    picked leaves of the Harvest, and holding a Cornucopia, overflowing with the Bounties of the Land; while
    sitting atop the Bails and Cages of the American Product; with an Anchor to imply Shipments of Exports;
    As She is welcoming Commerce (Symbolized by a Nude Mercury) to our shores.

Legend: “TO PEACE AND COMMERCE” above.

In exergue (below): IV JUL. MDCCLXXVI (4 July 1776)

DUPRE, F. (Beneath the feet of Mercury)

C. BARBER 1876 (in Exergue at the base of the rims edge)

Reverse depicts the Great Seal of the United States; being the American Eagle with Breast Shield, Olive
    Branch in Left Talon, Arrows in Right Talon, the Motto E Pluribus Unum (Latin for “Out of Many, One”)
    on a Banner held by the Eagle’s Beak, with Clouds, Rays and 13 Stars.

In 1876, copy dies executed by Charles Barber, were made at the U.S. Mint from lead proofs of the original
    medal purchased in Paris by Jules Marcon. After 85 of these are said to have been struck. Because of the
    unlikely event of collectors being able to purchase an original (there are only 3 known), these 1876 strikings
    have been among the most popular of U.S. Mint medals.

The Following was taken from the topic: “Great Seal of the United States”
    Sub Category: 6 > Notable Depictions; 6.4 > Diplomatic Medal
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Seal_of_the_United_States#Diplomatic_Medal

Compiled By & From: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Licensing Link: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
  • Options
    Is the original the first representation of America as an indian?
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Why do they call it "Washington's" medal? I think of it more as Thomas Jefferson's. Cornelius Vermeule wrote it up in Numismatic Art in America.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one of the modern U.S. mint reproductions of the Diplomatic Medal that I bought back in the 1980s. It is a wonderful design, which is true of just about everything Augustin Dupre did, but I have trouble getting excited by the modern renditions of it. For that reason I have passed on purchasing the modern Paris Mint Libertas Americana medals in silver and gold that have been available recently.

I actually thought about getting involved with the original piece that was in the Stacks' auction, but my coin budget was a bit thin for that at the moment.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2017 8:06PM

@cardinal said:

Was just doing Google image searches for dual holders and this came up. Just wanted to TTT this based on how awesome it is :)

Good to read the background on this again too.

• Options

LOVE

• Options
    edited July 31, 2017 8:30PM

Thanks for updating the image links in the OP @Justacommeman!

• Options

Ya I've been trying to update the photobuckets as I see the ransom demands pop up

m

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original dies 'went missing' when sent to America.... has no trace of these ever been found? Is there any information indicating at what point in their journey they went missing? Between France and America? After landing in America? Between the dock and the Mint? Items such as this do not simply 'disappear'. They must be somewhere.... even if at the bottom of the ocean. Seems there would be some trace of their journey. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited August 1, 2017 9:15AM

From Stack's Bowers

Recently the Monnaie de Paris, the original minting place of these medals, was contacted to reproduce the United Stated Diplomatic Medal once again, in a smaller size, using the most modern of medal production techniques.

Regarding this specific line, do we know who contacted Monnaie de Paris to reproduce the modern strikes?

• Options

@cardinal said:

Hello, I fell in love with this coin as soon as i discovered there was one being sold in Ebay, I bought it. Mine is in the original casule described as PCGS Gem Proof DCAM. Since I am far to be an expert as you are, I would like to ask you if this one mighr be PR70, or in order to know that i have to send it to be graded ? I would loive to read your comments. Thank you very much in advance.

• Options

@juanjorgeblanco said:

@cardinal said:

Hello, I fell in love with this coin as soon as i discovered there was one being sold in Ebay, I bought it. Mine is in the original casule described as PCGS Gem Proof DCAM. Since I am far to be an expert as you are, I would like to ask you if this one mighr be PR70, or in order to know that i have to send it to be graded ? I would loive to read your comments. Thank you very much in advance. @cardinal

• Options

@juanjorgeblanco said:

@cardinal said:

Hello, I fell in love with this coin as soon as i discovered there was one being sold in Ebay, I bought it. Mine is in the original casule described as PCGS Gem Proof DCAM. Since I am far to be an expert as you are, I would like to ask you if this one mighr be PR70, or in order to know that i have to send it to be graded ? I would loive to read your comments. Thank you very much in advance.

Welcome to the Forum!

Can you point me to the auction on eBay, so that I can see it?

• Options

These look nice in the dual-coin holder:

• Options

@cardinal said:

@juanjorgeblanco said:

@cardinal said:

Welcome to the Forum!

Of course, i am still waiting the coin to arrive. This is it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125104677927 @cardinal

• Options
    juanjorgeblancojuanjorgeblanco Posts: 13
    edited January 30, 2022 9:39AM

@cardinal said:

@juanjorgeblanco said:

@cardinal said:

Welcome to the Forum!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125104677927

Were you able to see it ?? @cardinal

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a stunner Mark! I love visiting the Monnaie de Paris mint shop, just a few blocks down from Musee d'Orsay on the rive Gauche. Always have an amazing array of silver and gold pieces for sale there, with incredibly eye appealing designs. Used to have a museum there as well on french numismatics but I think that might have closed.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:
    That is a stunner Mark! I love visiting the Monnaie de Paris mint shop, just a few blocks down from Musee d'Orsay on the rive Gauche. Always have an amazing array of silver and gold pieces for sale there, with incredibly eye appealing designs. Used to have a museum there as well on french numismatics but I think that might have closed.

Best, SH

Good to know. I'll have to remember to stop by the next time I visit Paris. Last time, it was mostly restaurants :)

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Good to know. I'll have to remember to stop by the next time I visit Paris. Last time, it was mostly restaurants :)

Of which there are literally an infinite amount of spectacular ones. Once we start travelling again we will need to trade info on Paris restaurants ;)

But back to point, they mint some of the most amazing designs in their gold coins and medals, it is truly eye popping to go to their shop. Mark's new medal exemplifies this.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@juanjorgeblanco said:

@cardinal said:

@juanjorgeblanco said:

@cardinal said:

Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you for the link!

The photos on eBay are not the best, but being an early strike it might be a "70". That being said, when I purchased my Demploymatic Medal was already graded as 70.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2022 11:29AM
  • Options

@cardinal said:

@juanjorgeblanco said:

@cardinal said:

@juanjorgeblanco said:

@cardinal said:

Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you for the link!

The photos on eBay are not the best, but being an early strike it might be a "70". That being said, when I purchased my Demploymatic Medal was already graded as 70.

Thank you @cardinal
    As soon as I get it I will publish some pictures hoping you can tell me more since your experience and expertise. I appreciate it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file