Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why do people sell modern proof sets on ebay, but

I don't understand why people that sell modern proof sets on ebay, sell only the coins & not the box & COA. What do they do with those?

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few graded RP Kennedy coins for sale. I am including the packaging with the medal. Sometimes it is cheaper to ship a coin by itself without the bulky original holder.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people make too big a deal about USM packaging. In the final analysis it is the coins that matter.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't they?

Multiple reasons....

* Sometimes they pop a coin out they want/need/get graded, and the rest are saleable to them. Who wants a "set" with a coin or 2 missing?

* Adding in the other packaging adds to the shipping expense. Since most are "free", go cheaper and save money

* Many/most of the sets are actually worth more piecemeal, than they are selling as a group. Look at the individual prices, add them up, then compare. Reason is usually because someone collecting the politically correct dollars (ummm....native American dollars) may be willing to pay $5 for business strike and $10-15 for proof, but not put any real value on the others as they don't need them. Yet, someone doing Kennedy halves may put the same type of value on that and none of the others...and quarters, dime, etc....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Cougar1978

I think people make too big a deal about USM packaging. In the final analysis it is the coins that matter.

Absolutely! My favorite is keeping the flat pack sets from 1955-1964 in the original sealed envelope. THAT makes no sense at all to me. And there's no way to tell if it's never been opened. And the opportunity is missed to check for cameos and varieties.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some of the boxes are hard to close - many people look at coins in plastic and throw rest of the crap away
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The individual coins are easier to move because of 'set' collectors.... If I were ever to

decide to sell some coins, it would be modern proof sets.... and I would break them

up in a heartbeat.... more profit that way. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the Modern Proof Sets in my ebay store however are in USM Packaging with COA, the item pictured is the item they will get.

I do have a 1969-S Proof Set I intend to crack and breakup (the case is somewhat scratched and does not really good viewing of the half dollar to really ascertain grade), possibly slabbing the quarter and half with the other coins going into 2x2's whitman storage box, browse box at shows as junk material.

In giving op question some more thought people may crack modern proof sets, put in other holders like capital. The reason for this is either to replace a coin that was slabbed (from the set) or conserve some pieces needing this. The pliofilm USM material has PVC and does not allow good viewing so coins should not be stored in this anyway. I have found the target retail market for modern proof sets are retail buyers seeking collectibles from that date - bd, anniversary, kids bd, etc. not hard core coin collectors who usually don't want to pay anything for that anyway.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have learned from the local dealer that there are many modern Proof sets that have separated from the their original boxes and COAs. As the treasurer of my local club I buy them from him dirt cheap (sometimes virtually at face value) for door prizes and the like.

I don't care for modern Proof sets that are out of their boxes and don't have their COAs if one was issued with them. I buy the sets every year, so my boxes are pristine. Given to super low prices for these coins, that might not mean much to most people, but at our club auction, the sets in good boxes with all of the documents, bring good prices relative to the Coin Dealer Newsletter bids.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file