Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1852-O Gold Dollar - Not Genuine?

Hi folks,

This 1852-O Gold Dollar looks "off" to me but I figured I'd ask here to make sure since I'm not very familiar with this series:

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have dought's about that one too as everything looks mushy, might of been ex-jewerley thou.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old well-known counterfeit.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Yep. The broken 8 is a key diagnostic as well as the inconsistently mushy stars obverse.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a 1852-O G1D photo from Phil for comparison. There are some clear differences.

• Options
    Originally posted by: telephoto1
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Yep. The broken 8 is a key diagnostic as well as the inconsistently mushy stars obverse.

Is this collected as a classic counterfeit?
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this collected as a classic counterfeit?

doubtful it would be collected under that premise but a great educational piece.

some may keep these back for that purpose.

i will be keeping the images for educational purposes so ty for posting them.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not genuine.... is it an auction? Best report it.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knew there was a reason I only collect the slabbed ones.

My 1854

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not even a decent fake. Yikes.
  • Options
    Here is another one with a die crack:

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    The stars look like marshmallow flowers.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, that one is not good. It has a mushy strike and the "8" in the date does not match up with the real thing. It was probably made in Lebanon back in the 1970s. Here is my genuine example.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The extensive counterfeiting of US gold coins in the 1970's and early 1980's was one of the reasons why third party grading and authentication became popular. Many of the low denomination gold counterfeits were apparently made by melting down US $20 gold coins. By doing this the gold composition would remain accurate. Money was made because the low denomination coins had much higher numismatic premiums attached than the $20s.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you bought it, I'd return it. If you own it, I'd learn from it. If you're selling it ... think twice. Having a coin (?)) like this is a part of learning how to collect gold dollars and to be reminded to look for the little giveaways of a counterfeit before you buy. Among other things you'll see are those little spikes coming in from the dentils near AMERICA. You never see these on a real coin but a lot of counterfeits have them somewhere. Remember seeing counterfeits is not like baseball 3 strikes you're out in coins any one singular counterfeit diagnostic tells all.
  • Options
    Great examples LindeDad and Bill. Love the DOG look on the 1854 image

Why are the Lebanese coins not collected? For example, Machins Mills counterfeit half pennies are collected (and slabbed) but not others, e.g. Lebanese, Omega, Micro-O Morgans. What makes a counterfeit a legitimate collectible?
  • Options
    Excellent question, but hard to answer. Machins were made as circulating coins, which they did. THe early Lebanese counterfiets from the 1950's and early 60's were made as bullion coins to evade certain legal restrictions. Then they started making numismatic counterfeits into the 70's and 80's because the premium was higher. Which enterprise do you reward by making them collectible?

I am working on an article that will address the issue of Lebanese counterfeits, but it won't be done for a while.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zoins
    Here is another one with a die crack:

now, that's what i'm talking about!
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counterfeit gold dollars are very,very common, used to see them all the time on eBay. Haven't checked in a while, though.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counterfeits are, as stamp collectors would say, "album weeds". They are a plague on any hobby and should be shunned, not collected.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. We're NOT going to even START thinking of collecting these damn things
  • Options
    One reason to think about slabbing them is that they are made of real US gold coins with the correct composition. It's kind of a shame to shun them all since they are real gold. It seems like they could be slabbed and traded for bullion value.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Zoins

One reason to think about slabbing them is that they are made of real US gold coins with the correct composition. It's kind of a shame to shun them all since they are real gold. It seems like they could be slabbed and traded for bullion value.

Better melted for the gold value minus the refining charge.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file