Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for Dealers - Out of Town Coin Shows

I have a question I've always wondered. And I don't think the answer puts any dealer at risk.

When you (a dealer) goes to an out-of-town coin show that you flies to, how do you transport your coins as I expect the value of the coins is great? I can't imagine that you'd check them as checked baggage. I expect it would be too much for carry-on. Do you ship it somehow?
I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most carry them on, you can get a lot of coins in a carryon bag when packed right. Some big players ship via brinks.

Nobody would check them or anything valuable. Once out of your possession I imagine most insurance policies would be out the window.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Most dealers carry their coins in cabin baggage if the quantity and weight of their bags do not exceed cabin baggage limits as established by the airlines. Dealers with larger inventories will ship their coins to and from shows by USPS, FedEx or by armored courier. The armored courier service is the safest method but it is also the most expensive method.

Virtually anything can be insured for a price but the premiums for insuring coins that are left in the back seat of a car in plain view are extreme (I know because I've asked).
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For inventory of value, security should be the prime consideration....anything else and

there will be sad stories posted here.... so, secure shipment should be the first

consideration... and that does not mean the car trunk while eating in a restaurant. Cheers,

RickO
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    For inventory of value, security should be the prime consideration....anything else and
    there will be sad stories posted here.... so, secure shipment should be the first
    consideration... and that does not mean the car trunk while eating in a restaurant. Cheers,
    RickO

How true. The preponderance of dealers drive to shows (with the obvious exception of distant major regional/national shows). How many times have we heard of major thefts from parked vehicles because the person just had to stop and eat someplace? Ever heard of a drive thru? Or, taking snacks with you? Or, better yet, how about you eat before you leave or after you've secured your inventory? Nah, that would make too much sense. And if you're a member of the small bladder crowd... have someone with you to guard inventory while you make a pit stop. It amazes me how many dealers still travel alone with vehicles full of numismatic items using very little in the way of common sense security precautions...yet are shocked and amazed when they or someone they know are hit. smh

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to carry them in rolling suitcase and put them in the overhead bin. The secret, I think, is to be as inconspicuous as possible. No fancy watches or jewelry, no fancy clothes and for goodness sakes stay away from these bright metal brief cases. To me that's like hanging a sign on your neck that says, "I'm carrying valuable merchandise."

The thing you couldn't control was comments from loud mouth van drivers from the airport to your hotel. I had one who picked up the bag, and commented, "Gee, what you got in there? You part of the coin show?" while the other passengers were getting in the van.

SHUT UP!!!!! I don't need your casual observations !!!! image

Taking a cab alone posed more of risk because that left you open to getting taken somewhere and robbed. At least that how some dealers felt about it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I've watched enough "Rockford Files" episodes on Netflix to think if I were a dealer driving home after a coin show, I'd take some odd, circuitous routes just to watch in my mirror to be sure no one was following me. And if someone was following me, to drive to a police station.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the exception of the Long Beach show, which I drive to,

I always use Brinks.

It's roughly $1,500 round-trip for me to ship three large, heavy

cases of coins that weigh 60 Pounds each....that's a good amount

of inventory, etc......

Now, I know a lot of dealers say "That's too much" - however, the

way I look at it, it's like paying for an extra 2 employees (or more)

to carry heavy cases..............and, Brinks picks up at my office,

delivers to my table at the show, picks up at the table at the end of

the show, and delivers to my office the following Tuesday.

There is NO exposure for me or anyone else in my office building, on

the freeway heading to the airport, at the airport going thru security, etc,

at the destination airport at baggage claim, in the taxi going to the hotel,

from the hotel to the convention center, and then reverse the whole process.

For the service charge, I get 180 pounds of material delivered to the show,

and returned to my office, with absolutely NO exposure to me as I'm

in transit via taxi or plane.

The way I look at it, the $1,500 average is cheaper than paying for:

Two Employees time

Two Employee's Airline Roundtrip Airline Tickets

Two Employee's Hotel Rooms for 3-5 Nights

Two Employee's 3 Meals per day each

Two Employyes' Beer Tabs after the show.

That's gotta be more than $1,500 - especially if they're thirsty !

That's how I do it, and that's how I justify it. For the fee, Brinks

is a silent, strong, efficient employee with no personal problems

to deal with.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to fly to the occasional show. That ended while we were boarding a flight one time. Had been through the private security check. Was traveling with a frequent flyer friend that allowed us to board 1st. I'm the 3rd person getting on the plane and they decide to do a random spot check on my carryon. I told them it was a risk to me but they wouldn't listen. So everyone files by me as they go through my entire inventory. Luckily my friend was able to hold me a spot in the overhead to place my bag. Little does the airline know how much business that cost them. I haven't flown to a show since and that was 15 years ago! I only do shows I can drive to in 1 day non-stop now.

• Options
    Yes, the "random inspection" crap was the biggest bunch of security theater ever in the war on terror. Furthermore in your case was a violation of your rights as a passenger because you are entitled to a private search if you request it. The thing that really made that situation a load of crap was that you had already had ONE private inspection the second one was unnecessary. They should have provided you with a receipt.

My wife and I once got hit the random inspection thing going and coming on a trip to Jamaica. I figured was a case of referse profiling. Let's hit the middle aged White couple instead of the African-American couple. See See! We aren't profiling.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin

I used to fly to the occasional show. That ended while we were boarding a flight one time. Had been through the private security check. Was traveling with a frequent flyer friend that allowed us to board 1st. I'm the 3rd person getting on the plane and they decide to do a random spot check on my carryon. I told them it was a risk to me but they wouldn't listen. So everyone files by me as they go through my entire inventory. Luckily my friend was able to hold me a spot in the overhead to place my bag. Little does the airline know how much business that cost them. I haven't flown to a show since and that was 15 years ago! I only do shows I can drive to in 1 day non-stop now.

I've been in those random stops before as well.....and when it happened, it wasn't the airline, so I couldn't blame them. Was the security folks.

As for how much it cost them? Doesn't matter anyway as they are all doing just fine these days as they increase rates and decrease flights anyway.

Surprised that you didn't ask for a private room to do that in.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

He probably would have missed his flight.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They wouldn't allow it!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that is a completely sound and well thought out way to go, FredWeinberg.

Hard to put a price on peace of mind.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Originally posted by: sparky64
    I think that is a completely sound and well thought out way to go, FredWeinberg.

Hard to put a price on peace of mind.

It's well thought out, but when I was dealer, that was too much overhead for me.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BillJones

He probably would have missed his flight.

No, if you are pulled out for a "random" one, basically at the gate, they won't leave without you (unless you are found to be in violation). I've been through plenty of "random" ones and learned how to watch for them and avoid many after awhile.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flying to out of town show means haveing to go thru security with my material and store it in an overhead. It can be stressful. As I do both coins and currency I might just take the currency (a much lighter load) especially if its a show I may be going to mainly to buy.

You have to be vigilant at all times. Once I was seated in my seat on the plane and the bc with my coins safely in the overhead above me. Some screwball guy asked if I could change seats with his wife about 6 or 7 rows back. I turned around and she looked back smiling. He said they were going to a funeral. I told him no, that I was not leaving my work (above) and of course did not mention anything about coins. I told him I would get the stewardess but he backed off. It really hacked me off and made me feel uneasy. No way was I leaving my coins and moving to another section of the plane without them. To heck with them if that was even the truth (and not some scam attempt). The strange thing there was a female pasenger to his right at the window seat and she did not volunteer to move after witnessing the conversation nor did he hit on her for it . She could have transferred to where his wife was sitting in an isle seat. In retrospect, I am sure she did not want to move her stuff or worry about it either. I recall her looking at me during that and wonder if she thought I was a jerk or felt the same way I did about it. Don't let strange people (or scammers) distract you once your settled in your seat on the plane if it means losing sight of your stuff. The thing is, if him and his wife sitting together that big of a deal why did he not try to arrange it with the stewardess before instead of bothering other passengers? Another screwball thing he said something about being a minister.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Cougar1978
    Flying to out of town show means haveing to go thru security with my material and store it in an overhead. It can be stressful. As I do both coins and currency I might just take the currency (a much lighter load) especially if its a show I may be going to mainly to buy.

You have to be vigilant at all times. Once I was seated in my seat on the plane and the bc with my coins safely in the overhead above me. Some screwball guy asked if I could change seats with his wife about 6 or 7 rows back. I turned around and she looked back smiling. He said they were going to a funeral. I told him no, that I was not leaving my work (above) and of course did not mention anything about coins. I told him I would get the stewardess but he backed off. It really hacked me off and made me feel uneasy. No way was I leaving my coins and moving to another section of the plane without them. To heck with them if that was even the truth (and not some scam attempt). The strange thing there was a female pasenger to his right at the window seat and she did not volunteer to move after witnessing the conversation nor did he hit on her for it . She could have transferred to where his wife was sitting in an isle seat. In retrospect, I am sure she did not want to move her stuff or worry about it either. I recall her looking at me during that and wonder if she thought I was a jerk or felt the same way I did about it. Don't let strange people (or scammers) distract you once your settled in your seat on the plane if it means losing sight of your stuff. The thing is, if him and his wife sitting together that big of a deal why did he not try to arrange it with the stewardess before instead of bothering other passengers? Another screwball thing he said something about being a minister.

The problem is with flying is that airlines don't even enforce their carry-on rules so there's more carry-on than there is room. I've seem very often where the flight attendants get involved and start moving a lot of people's carry-ons around just so these large rollerbags that should have been checked can fit somewhere. And if a flight attendant wants to move your carry-on to an overhead bin somewhere else because someone's rollerbag will fit better above you, you can't really object because the flight attendants have the authority to have you removed from the plane.

I always shake my head at how much importance some people will place on sitting together for a 2 hour flight, expecting others to change seats when they likely never looked at their reservation on the airline's website days, weeks or months in advance when they could have selected their own seats.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

Originally posted by: Cougar1978

That must have been on Pan Am or TWA like 30 years ago. I think that's the last time I've heard term stewardess used

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Fred Weinberg on this one. Plus, if you tell your insurance carrier that Brinks is insuring the inventory while it is in transit, they will reduce your insurance premium because they don't have to insure it also. (And you would be wasting money, because if there is a loss, you will only collect once, even if you are double-insured.) The savings from my insurance carrier pays all but $200 per show of Brinks charges. That's $100 each way, in my view, that is money well spent.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file