Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

nice 1936 buffalo nickel. guess the grade mint state?

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• Options
    And it is a business strike!
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill say MS64+/65.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    64 crowd for me
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 1-O-VI/FS 101 doubled die.
  • Options
    Way to go Koynekwest (ron) -- you win!!

first one to notice.
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Buff...63..... that '6' in the date looks strange...the picture does not make it look

doubled... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can get it attributed as the DDO that is a pretty awesome score paying anything less than 67 money
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭✭
    It's got the 58 look to me. That's what the guy who bid it up to $90 probably thought also. I saw it and passed based on what I've got from that seller before. A true slider imho. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    I did realize it may be a slider but is the nicest one I have ever had the opportunity to pickup. Still a nice one even if only a 58
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    For comparative purposes, here is an ICG MS60 which is being offered on flea bay right now for $440.00 Note the nice toning.

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/s-l1600xnb_zpshmod7j0o.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/s-l1600mnb_zpswxq64vot.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i thought "LIBERTY" looked a lil wide

that icg really brings out the doubling in the date...better angle there

congrats on a sweet score as your year of ripping continues in stunning fashion
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BUFFNIXX

I did realize it may be a slider but is the nicest one I have ever had the opportunity to pickup. Still a nice one even if only a 58

Please let us know how it works out! Hopefully awesomely for you!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait until you see it in hand. GSC is notorious for coins looking quite "different" in hand. Or put another way, they are known for coins looking nice-ish in auction photos, only to arrive cleaned.

I would never bid on a GSC raw coin. Just my opinion...

Good luck.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    DDO 65 for me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

Nice Buff...63..... that '6' in the date looks strange...the picture does not make it look

doubled... Cheers, RickO

This variety isn't doubled the way most think of when they see a doubled die. This is what's known as a Class VI d die. Note how the date is thicker than normal and how the tops of the letters in LIBERTY are thick at the top except for the "L" which is thick at the bottom.

• Options
    Originally posted by: BUFFNIXX

For comparative purposes, here is an ICG MS60 which is being offered on flea bay right now for $440.00 Note the nice toning.

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/u...b_zpshmod7j0o.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/u...b_zpswxq64vot.jpg.html]image[/URL]

$440 is outrageous! Typical of today's ebay tho. It's actually worth about half of that. I've also noticed some of these sellers are moving to GreatCollections, too, with absurd opening bids especially on some of the varieties.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beauuutiful prize! I'll say for sure 65, maybe 66. Nice coin dude and nice variety.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file