Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone still use the term bodybag? They killed my toned Peace dollar.

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
I suppose I should not be surprised. PCGS does not like me very much.
Phil did take some nice shots of it though.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still use the term.... Guess it should now be Body Slabbed? image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically they didn't kill it....it was DOA. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: SeattleSlammer

Damn you...
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

So true.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since Phil Imaged her......Your coin is automatically elevated to............

BBB: Better Than a Body Bag

Better than the old days.....an embarrassing old flip with a label that said your coin is relegated to coin purgatory.....be gone damn you be gone!!!
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find your Peace Dollar to be very attractive.

My following 1921 Peace Dollar received an "Artificial Toning" Uncirculated designation by NGC. I love the look of this coin, and feel fortunate to have purchased it for a very affordable price based on the grading designation. image

1921 Toned Peace Dollar

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy to own either of the two coins above.
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Since PCGS will holder genuine coins now at the submitters direction, the term Body Bag is now known as a Suicide
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Meltdown
    I suppose I should not be surprised. PCGS does not like me very much.
    Phil did take some nice shots of it though.

Just take out the first person singular and look objectively at the coin.

Then it reads as :
    " No surprise PCGS doesn't like this coin, though Phil takes nice photos. "

It's nothing to do with you, friend.
  • Options
    I appreciate your input TwoSides, but I'm pretty sure PCGS does not like my idea of market acceptable. I had an old ANA slabbed Barber dime with similar target tone that failed to slab 3 times over 2 years.
  • Options
    ksuscottksuscott Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate your input TwoSides, but I'm pretty sure PCGS does not like my idea of market acceptable. I had an old ANA slabbed Barber dime with similar target tone that failed to slab 3 times over 2 years.

Oh wow...do you have any pictures of it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ksuscott

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i just had 5 out of 14 genny on me

c'est la vie

pretty looking peace dollar there

like 2 subs ago i subbed 5 genny's and 4 of them graded on their 2nd trip in

"if the grade doesn't fit...one must resubmit"
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Made me think of my 1941-D and it's not AT, at least ANACS didn't think so.
    Link

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

mark

Someone is not gettin' this subtle message.

• Options
    ksuscottksuscott Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ksuscott

Looks like a pretty nice one. Did you try to cross at the same grade or any grade?
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Blues on Peace Dollars (and even many Morgans) don't numerically grade the vast majority of the time. Even if you know you bought it as NT, graders see the Blue colors as the most common AT/Non-MA color submitted.

The dime, on the other hand, is NT to me. In fact, it is rather solid. I suspect the graders might not have liked the non-concentric toning pattern is the only reason I can think they AT'ed it.

Lastly, I personally like all three coins shown above and would own them happily even if not graded!

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Body bagged because that is a very common AT appearance.... mostly done by

amateurs seeking profit... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

Body bagged because that is a very common AT appearance.... mostly done by

amateurs seeking profit... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    body bagged... body slabbed.... toe tagged?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't feel too badly. This was body bagged years ago as AT.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the OP Peace Dollar or the Barber Dime in this thread either. I am glad PCGS errs on the side of caution with these.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jerseycat101
    I don't like the OP Peace Dollar or the Barber Dime in this thread either. I am glad PCGS errs on the side of caution with these.

You are happy with "errs on the side of caution" until it happens to YOUR COIN which subsequently ends up in a holder with a clean grade when someone else submits it. Then you are not so pleased.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BillJones

You are happy with "errs on the side of caution" until it happens to YOUR COIN which subsequently ends up in a holder with a clean grade when someone else submits it. Then you are not so pleased.

True enough. I think this one qualifies as OH SO CLOSE to acceptable. I'm not saying I don't get their reasoning and caution - I just hate to throw away good money. I happen to know that this toning was not done with a blow torch or anything else intentional, just stored poorly for many years in a snap tight plastic holder.

• Options
    Originally posted by: BillJones

I've experienced similar to that, I sold a Peace Dollar in a N66CAC holder which ended up in a N67CAC holder. I feel your pain.
  • Options

True enough. I think this one qualifies as OH SO CLOSE to acceptable. I'm not saying I don't get their reasoning and caution - I just hate to throw away good money. I happen to know that this toning was not done with a blow torch or anything else intentional, just stored poorly for many years in a snap tight plastic holder.

Unless you've owned this coin since 1922, or since it was blast white, you cannot assert that the toning was not done artificially with any amount of conviction.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a crying' shame. Both appear perfectly acceptable; we've all seen many coins with that toning pattern in problem-free holders.

I like them both. If they were mine I would resubmit them again and again.

Lance.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lance.

someone's gotta keep those dividends up.

us image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Beef Jerky cures about 140 degrees too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC

Lance.

someone's gotta keep those dividends up.

us image

LOL. I'm trying.

Still, turning a $500 coin into a $3500 one is a worthy cause.

Lance.
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    Would it (with certain exceptions) be true to say that all it takes is a dip and it will become gradable?
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the term needs to change from "body bag" to "coffin". image

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Originally posted by: csdot

Would it (with certain exceptions) be true to say that all it takes is a dip and it will become gradable?

Wouldn't that be nice.

No, cleaning hairlines or damage, for example, aren't fixable with a dip. Few problems are corrected by dipping.

Success comes from resolve on questioning borderline problems. Many are fatal and hopeless. But where it's a judgment call you stand a chance with another assessment.

Lance.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

at least its encapsulated. fwiw

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file