Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold Standard Corporation 10 OZ. silver bars

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is somebody running a promotion on Gold Standard Corporation 10 oz. silver bars? A dealer over on my old dealer-to-dealer network just ran a very strong buy on them, and I was wondering why.

They are listed in the AllEnglehard page. I happen to have a few and went over there to make sure they had my serial numbers listed. Two they did not, but much to my surprise they have one of my bars pictured! It is the flat machine finish one.

linky

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    What's a strong buy?

keceph `anah
  • Options
    Plus $5 per oz.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Plus $5 per oz.

lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    So what are they worth if that is not a strong buy?
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Booger9989

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!

lol, the guy who doesnt even know what he is trying to sell?... hilarious...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Smooth machine finished ones (the shiny-er ones) easily go for double spot, easily.

Flat machine finished ones go for 4 digits.

As with anything, you have to find the right "end user" buyer, but those prices can fairly easily be attained currently, and that's the key word in it all, currently.

Hope this helps

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait. Let me get this straight. Dealer posts $21/oz buy. POM quotes 4 figures. That's a grand.....7x face.

.That's some generous buy offer. $210 vs $1,000 retail?

Hey booger, with a new alt like that....better lay low for awhile before you start issuing orders pal.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Recent completed eBay auctions are right at or slightly above 2X spot if that helps.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Wingsrule

Recent completed eBay auctions are right at or slightly above 2X spot if that helps.

That does. Thanks.
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: streeter
    Wait. Let me get this straight. Dealer posts $21/oz buy. POM quotes 4 figures. That's a grand.....7x face.

Hey booger, with a new alt like that....better lay low for awhile before you start issuing orders pal.

WHAT?? you do realize that every new member must be approved correct? Sorry that the actions of a 5th grader don't amuse me and many others around here! Could be part of the reason the pm forum is dead!

If a few of the poster's here used just a fraction of the brain they have this place would be amazing. Well all know intelligence is lacking and a serious conversation can't be done here due to a selected few. I will speak up. I don't fear keyboard commandos! !!
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options

Originally posted by: Wingsrule

That does. Thanks.

Or as some people call that as I did, double spot. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Booger9989

WHAT?? you do realize that every new member must be approved correct? Sorry that the actions of a 5th grader don't amuse me and many others around here! Could be part of the reason the pm forum is dead!

If a few of the poster's here used just a fraction of the brain they have this place would be amazing. Well all know intelligence is lacking and a serious conversation can't be done here due to a selected few. I will speak up. I don't fear keyboard commandos! !!

Just ignore, it's called being a responsible troll for some, leave no stone untrolled. There is ALOT of truth in what you say.
  • Options

One thing you may not know is there is at least 3 different versions of this 10 oz version of the bar, each one has it's own pricing. A very simple check on eBay (retail) is all that was needed.

And you must've overlooked this key statement made too:

As with anything, you have to find the right "end user" buyer, but those prices can fairly easily be attained currently, and that's the key word in it all, currently

POM quotes 4 figures. That's a grand.....7x face

4 figures is currently about 63x spot, not 7. Maybe you call/figure it another way like wings did? but 16x63=1008
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10oz x$16 =160

1,000/160=6.25x face. Berkeley math. Also 3rd grade math.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

10oz x$16 =160

That's not the way I figure it, I figure everything off of the 1 oz price no matter what the size of the bar is, just as kitco does and every dealer in the world, and that's about all I'm going to talk about it since you've resorted to your typical, expected troll insults.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

10oz x$16 =160

You had me confused for a minute. I've never seen "face" used in conjunction with a silver bullion bar. I think you meant "melt value" of the silver bar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will buy them all day long at $6 over and make a tidy profit reselling on ebay.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OnlyGoldIsMoney

I will buy them all day long at $6 over and make a tidy profit reselling on ebay.

Yeah, you usually do outbid me LOL but at only $6 I've got some wiggle room image
  • Options
    Am I the only one that finds it ironic that a silver bar would be called "gold standard"?

• Options
    Well, it was the Gold Standard Corporation that was issuing them. Handled more of their gold over the years than their silver, and once even bought in two of their platinum ounces.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

Smooth machine finished ones (the shiny-er ones) easily go for double spot, easily.

As with anything, you have to find the right "end user" buyer, but those prices can fairly easily be attained currently, and that's the key word in it all, currently.

Hope this helps

I just bought one of these Gold Standard silver bars on eBay (auction #321909246345). Is this one of the "flat machine finished ones" that goes for 4 digits? Appears in the pic to have a flat matte finish. Got it for $310+ $5 shipping. Did I get it at a good price or did I overpay? I always liked the design of this Engelhard variant silver bar and I couldn't pass up the chance to buy one.

• Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

Hope this helps

I just bought one of these Gold Standard silver bars on eBay (auction #321909246345). Is this one of the "flat machine finished ones" that goes for 4 digits? Appears in the pic to have a flat matte finish. Got it for $310+ $5 shipping. Did I get it at a good price or did I overpay? I always liked the design of this Engelhard variant silver bar and I couldn't pass up the chance to buy one.

PH...that is the smooth machine finished version and you paid roughly what they're going for currently. Almost all flat machine ones of these will start with a P then the serial number and they look more like the "pillow" Engelhards.

They look like this:

• Options
    Thanks POM. At about double melt I thought it was a fair deal and since I didn't already have this type I figured what the hell and bought it.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool bar, Perry. image
  • Options

Thanks POM. At about double melt I thought it was a fair deal and since I didn't already have this type I figured what the hell and bought it.

PH...These are the flat machine finished bars that I expect to go for close to 4 figures based on the most recent sales of them. As I post this, they've only been available for 13 hours and they're already at almost $400. The sellers approach may backfire on him though listing so many of them all at once.

10 oz flat machine finished bars
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sellers approach may backfire on him though listing so many of them all at once.

Then again, with the serial numbers sequential, or nearly so, possibly several collectors will try to get all or most of these bars at the same time and keep them together,

as they apparently have been together all these years. Kind of a shame to break them up now, isn't it?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Originally posted by: Baley

The sellers approach may backfire on him though listing so many of them all at once.

Then again, with the serial numbers sequential, or nearly so, possibly several collectors will try to get all or most of these bars at the same time and keep them together,

as they apparently have been together all these years. Kind of a shame to break them up now, isn't it?

Who knows, maybe the seller just came into them recently as spot priced bullion and knows their true value and can easily eat the 10% in fees because of the way s/he bought 'em? It could just be a simple profit play and could care less about consecutive numbers or their rarity?
  • Options
  • Options

Yee-Hah!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141839...ame=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

All the auctions avgd. around $680/bar, which is down $350/bar from the last one I saw sell.

As I stated earlier, I don't think the seller did himself any favors listing so many all at once. I feel he left well over $2,000 on the table by doing them that way.
  • Options
    Gold Standard poured bars are not that uncommon. Paying over $800 is just silly.
  • Options

Gold Standard poured bars are not that uncommon. Paying over $800 is just silly.

Previous to these I saw one sell from just under $1100.
  • Options

Previous to these I saw one sell from just under $1100.

$1,100 is double plus silly.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paying anything for these (or any piece of silver) is silly. The actual number is just a measure of the degree of sillyness image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Hope this helps

PH...that is the smooth machine finished version and you paid roughly what they're going for currently. Almost all flat machine ones of these will start with a P then the serial number and they look more like the "pillow" Engelhards.

They look like this:

That's the one I have. As the "plate specimen" it should easily be worth a Grand, right?

Right................

• Options

This and two other shiny ones listed on BST.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking bar.... I stick to coins, but would consider that one .... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a cool bar.

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the asking price on the poured GS bar?

• Options

See the BST thread.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmanbb said:
    What's the asking price on the poured GS bar?

In case you missed the BST thread.

• Options

Well, this thread was not a good representation of the market! I guess talk is cheap.

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cap'n

Just list the asking price and go from there.

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2017 4:44PM

I put a bid on CaptHenway's "auction" and would have gladly paid higher for the bar. I PM'd my bid, and even asked if it was a strong bid or not... or a counter offer.. no response, no communication whatsoever :/ The next post I saw is it sold... I consider myself a fairly descent member here with hundreds of awesome transactions and being ignored, I consider rude. But, that's just me I guess.... I agree with other posters , just list an asking price!

• Options

@massscrew said:
    I put a bid on CaptHenway's "auction" and would have gladly paid higher for the bar. I PM'd my bid, and even asked if it was a strong bid or not... or a counter offer.. no response, no communication whatsoever :/ The next post I saw is it sold... I consider myself a fairly descent member here with hundreds of awesome transactions and being ignored, I consider rude. But, that's just me I guess.... I agree with other posters , just list an asking price!

I checked my Inbox and see nothing from you there. Eventually I found your comment on something called "Activity" that I never look at. There was another comment from somebody else. You should have sent me a message.

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I apologize then... I clicked on your name and hit the message button. If that's not it, I'll have to figure out what I am doing wrong... No worries, I am sure more of the bars will come around :)