Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1956 Mantle PSA 8...the journey continues..as well as Mantle prices

a little background..

1956 Mantle PSA 8 ...nice card except the 2 spots/blotch/marks on the T/B border

4/2015..sat on ebay for awhile with BIN ~$4500 and seller offered to sell to me for $4000. Similar Micks going for $4600. I declined due to spots (and Im an idiot)

10/2015..sold on REA for $8400!!

10/2015..(re)listed on ebay now for $12,500 BIN.......(with another PSA 8 listed for $8061 nine minutes prior.)

so..from ~$4000 to $12,500 in 6 months.

I thought 8k was crazy. And as an owner of a couple Micks, I truly hope he gets anything near $12k.
Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Supply and Demand...however, I think those prices are a bit outrageous. Still though, without people selling, anytime new collectors come into the marketplace and see a beauty they'll snag em up...bet those prices are the new norm in a couple years. I was watching a Seaver rookie PSA 9...sold for over 10K...Last one I believe was 6k. Waiting to find a better one or a comparable one at a better price is just not doable anymore for Mantle. I overpaid at the time for every one of my Micks...every single one of them. Now those prices would be a steal...too bad it doesn't stabilize a bit so I can finish my collection without my wife smacking me in the face..haha. She's actually very supportive of my OCD and is a tougher grader than I've ever been.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    but back on topic Seebelow...I follow too and think it's crazy/cool to watch. I have a nice 8 myself.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually posted a comment on this card on another board this am. Watched this card and considered buying it as well. Was also willing to pay $7500-7800 for the card due to centering and corners, but after speaking with a few experts in the card game decided to not pursue it due to the print dots. Bottom one I could love with but top one was pretty noticeable and would always be the first thing I saw when I looked at the card.

I think the reason for the flip has to possibly be due to the new owner having the card in hand and sees the same thing. Might be throwing out a crazy number to maybe get someone to bite at $9k-10k. About 14-15 months ago I started getting the feeling that the 56 Mantle card would take off due to several factors. Passed on some decent ones at $3300-3800, and an 8.5 at $6750. Now the 8's are $6k minimum unless weak, and 8.5's are $15-19k depending on how they look. Glad I grabbed a couple but wanted 2-3 more to stash away but they just were not there to be had. Good thing is there are 331 8's and 28 8.5's so they exist - just have to be patient.
  • Options
    Not all 8's are created equally though...There are probably some 7.5's that I'd take over some 8's. I'd put my 8 up against the best of the best...HIGH END, haha. Seriously, what percentage of the 331 do you think have perfect centering, corners and killer eye appeal?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: belz
    Not all 8's are created equally though...There are probably some 7.5's that I'd take over some 8's. I'd put my 8 up against the best of the best...HIGH END, haha. Seriously, what percentage of the 331 do you think have perfect centering, corners and killer eye appeal?

I have actually tracked every 8 sold over the past two years and have actually catalogued them by which ones I thought were the best. I used the photos to compare when a new one comes up, and I can list them if anyone is interested - you can cross reference them against VCP and I will list dates. Off the top of my head there was one from PWCC that went for a hair over $6k a year or so ago and Probstein had one that went for $5k+ around the end 2014 which at the time was over $1k above the selling price at the time. I bought mine from Steve at BBCE and got very lucky getting it - very strong card that I had recommended to me by people I trust.

If anyone has a nice 8 they want to share a photo of please do - be interesting to see what shows up. Here is the 8 that just went for $8400.

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    the 59 8 is also demanding strong prices these days.

i agree 100% with everything belz said. i felt and did overpay at the time on just about all of my mantle purchases thru the years. i've also experienced some of the pain in referring to regrets on holding off thinking i'd find a better price or better version. snagged my 8 on 2/4/15 for about a third of that 8k asking price. it's nice to see current purchase prices, but again i do have a few holes that i shoulda filled in when i had the chance.

• Options
    Originally posted by: begsu1013
    the 59 8 is also demanding strong prices these days.

i agree 100% with everything belz said. i felt and did overpay at the time on just about all of my mantle purchases thru the years. i've also experienced some of the pain in referring to regrets on holding off thinking i'd find a better price or better version. snagged my 8 on 2/4/15 for about a third of that 8k asking price. it's nice to see current purchase prices, but again i do have a few holes that i shoulda filled in when i had the chance.

Beautiful card there Great left to right centering and corners on that one. You did very well with that one. Now that we know what you paid for it we can hammer you down on price image
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: seebelow
    a little background..

1956 Mantle PSA 8 ...nice card except the 2 spots/blotch/marks on the T/B border

4/2015..sat on ebay for awhile with BIN ~$4500 and seller offered to sell to me for $4000. Similar Micks going for $4600. I declined due to spots (and Im an idiot)

10/2015..sold on REA for $8400!!

10/2015..(re)listed on ebay now for $12,500 BIN.......(with another PSA 8 listed for $8061 nine minutes prior.)

so..from ~$4000 to $12,500 in 6 months.

I thought 8k was crazy. And as an owner of a couple Micks, I truly hope he gets anything near $12k.

10/8/15 PSA 8 Mantle cards sells for $4,502 on ebay. Not as nice centering as this one, but no print dots. Probably wash each other out. 12 days later, print-dot Mantle sells for $8,400. Hum...

Now print-dot mantle is listed for $12,500 BIN. Interesting. Love Mantle, but would double-down on a short position for that price.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    thanks kc! i absolutely love his return to topps card!!
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭

It is interesting to see the prices of the PSA 8 version of the '56 appreciate but the PSA 8.5 has plateaued. I purchased this card in June. A few days later another PSA 8.5 went up for sale on eBay for a slight bump and it didn't sell for months. It was recently removed. Not sure if it was a private sale or if the seller decided to hold on to it for now.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Do you guys believe the 60s Topps PSA 8s will follow the up trends that we are seeing with the 50s Mantle PSA 8s?
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Thats a great 8.5.I would def pay a premium for that one. Wonder what the other 8.5 was asking for his? Or its condition, centering. In this market anything decent doesn't seem to stay around for long.

KC, belz and begsu...like you guys at the time, I def paid a premium for each Mantle. Some way above high VCP. But looking back Im glad I did. But it did hurt then. I don't think we hit the balance between supply and demand quite yet. $12.5 is at my limit or above. Realistically, if not for the 2 print-dots, the 1 obvious one at the center top, Im sure I could rationalize paying that amount. It'll be interesting in a year from now if we'll all be regretting not paying 12k for an 8.
  • Options
    Mike,

I would say yes but at a slower rate. Maybe it'll be the new Mantle collector that wants to get his hands on one fairly affordable gorgeous mantle...then it begins..haha.
  • Options
    I think the rising tide will lift all Mantles. But lets throw out the 52. The 56 is huge due to its triple crown season, aesthetics, and rarity. Next, I think the 53 is gorgeous. In fact, I prefer its looks over the 52 easily. It still has room. And yes, the '60 would def be next. Its very popular and a beautiful card. IMHO, those are the big 3 (or 4).
  • Options

I think the rising tide will lift all Mantles. But lets throw out the 52. The 56 is huge due to its triple crown season, aesthetics, and rarity. Next, I think the 53 is gorgeous. In fact, I prefer its looks over the 52 easily. It still has room. And yes, the '60 would def be next. Its very popular and a beautiful card. IMHO, those are the big 3 (or 4).

I only own 2 Mantles; a 56 PSA 7 that unfortunately has a print dot on the top white border and my prized possession in a 1953 Mantle PSA 5. I think the centering is rather good for the grade. I bought it this April and have seen its VCP price increase 25% since.

Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Related and interesting, from Sportscollectorsdaily...

"More interestingly, it would appear the 1953 Bowman Mantle may be significantly undervalued considering it’s the third toughest early Mantle card to find–and by a significant margin when compared to the ’53 Topps. Yet an EX/MT (6) graded 1953 Topps Mantle typically sells for more than double what a ’53 Bowman goes for in the same grade."

When it comes to Mantles, one point that cannot be overlooked is the population versus the population of examples with killer or standout eye appeal. For example, if there are 2k of a given Mantle graded by the TPGs, how many of that 2k are really strong examples in terms of image quality, color, centering, no tilt, whatever one prefers?

Another factor to consider is how many of those examples stay effectively unavailable due to their being locked in collections, after all for those who own a given Mantle, it is highly likely the Mantle card is a cherished piece of their player collection, or if they build sets, it's a jewel of their set.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    wilkiebaby...congrats on the 53...i def remember getting mine for the first time and still enjoy just looking at it. And on your 56....you're starting off with the top two IMHO..especially getting them at an early price...and believe me..youve only just begun, staring at those two is immediately followed by "hmm the 19__ is also nice looking and affordable" "before its not" ..i believe i started with those two also

DM23..interesting and great pts. Thx for sharing.
  • Options
    agree for once, in recent history.

the 53b is definitely tougher and completely undervalued, in my opinion.

mine is a tad oc, but again it was a buy it when ya see it because they only come around once in a blue moon.

• Options
    Congrats on the '53. We need to see more of those

...i just tried uploading but still vertical despite being horizontal on PB..(corrected to horiz)...hmmm

the corners look soft on the scan. not sure if its the holder distorting them.
  • Options
    Kendallcat..Im not sure if you have logged this one. Got in 5/2015. Embarrassed to say the price. Of course above VCP, most likely.photo Scan 36_zpssnb0bpve.jpeg
  • Options
    56 mantle Psa 8 is a 5-6k card.

Sounds like some are trying to inflate the value based on some outlier sales.
  • Options
    Thats a great 8.5.I would def pay a premium for that one. Wonder what the other 8.5 was asking for his? Or its condition, centering. In this market anything decent doesn't seem to stay around for long.

KC, belz and begsu...like you guys at the time, I def paid a premium for each Mantle. Some way above high VCP. But looking back Im glad I did. But it did hurt then. I don't think we hit the balance between supply and demand quite yet. $12.5 is at my limit or above. Realistically, if not for the 2 print-dots, the 1 obvious one at the center top, Im sure I could rationalize paying that amount. It'll be interesting in a year from now if we'll all be regretting not paying 12k for an 8.

I actually got a great price on my PSA 8 which at the time was selling for $4200-4400, and if I ever sold it I am pretty sure I could double my money on it. Bought it last November in a deal with a Ryan 8 and a Mantle signed picture of his artwork of his image from the 1953 Topps card. I also picked up a beautiful 8.5 last February, and have no doubt that if I wanted to sell it I could get more than the last one sold at $17.4k. Just a great card and hopefully I can find another 8 and an 8.5 to add to the collection.

Here is the 8.

• Options
    Congrats on the '53. We need to see more of those

...i just tried uploading but still vertical despite being horizontal on PB..(corrected to horiz)...hmmm

the corners look soft on the scan. not sure if its the holder distorting them.

Ask and you shall receive. Overpaid at the time compared to VCP, but don't think you will find a nicer one without paying $25k IMO.

• Options
    wow...thats a gorgeous card...wont even say "thats a gorgeous 5" because it looks way better than that. Much more deserving of a higher grade. Why do you think it only got a 5?

And thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Kendallcat..Im not sure if you have logged this one. Got in 5/2015. Embarrassed to say the price. Of course above VCP, most likely.image

Do not have that one. Private sale or Heritage auction I assume. Very nice looking 8 - you did well with that one.
  • Options
    damn that 53 5 is smokin.

just looks like slight stain/crease at the very, very top of the top border but otherwise she's an 8 all day, everyday.

congrats and be proud as it's indeed the best 5 i have seen!!

• Options
    Ha. Your right on it. So that means you know what I didn't mention. image

And I agree the '53 is a 7 or 8. If thats a stain, its barely noticeable. The overall sharpness of it outweighs any negative that I can see. Should def be a centerpiece of your collection.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Warriors8

Some of us are discussing collecting and cards and sharing experiences - without that we would all be collecting in a vacuum which would not be much fun would it? Sales show this card went from a $4k card in in one year to a $6k card the past few months if you can find one. I can tell you that private sales reflect even higher prices than VCP, and I have been offered in the $7k range for mine.

If you have a nicely centered PSA 8 Mantle with no print issues and strong corners let me know and I will buy all you have in the $5-6k range with Paypal FNF. Please fire away - would love to buy some as would others.

Thanks Moimage

• Options
    for some reason the first thing i look for on the 53t is the lower left hand corner to make sure it's all red, so it did take a minute.

on the 53, don't mind the corners being sorta rounded and the card can even be a lil oc but that damn corner has to be completely red to me for some reason.

• Options
    If you have a nicely centered PSA 8 Mantle with no print issues and strong corners let me know and I will buy all you have in the $5-6k range with Paypal FNF. Please fire away - would love to buy some as would others.

Thanks Moimage

$6100 here! image

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

A PSA 8 with strong corners, pristine surface and no print errors....is not a PSA 8.
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: KendallCat

Some of us are discussing collecting and cards and sharing experiences - without that we would all be collecting in a vacuum which would not be much fun would it? Sales show this card went from a $4k card in in one year to a $6k card the past few months if you can find one. I can tell you that private sales reflect even higher prices than VCP, and I have been offered in the $7k range for mine.

Thanks Moimage

Obviously you own the card so you are trying to promote the card so you can try to sell it for higher when time to sell and you are promoting it on this forum.
    And yes I know someone who will sell me a psa 8 56 mantle for less than 6k.
  • Options
    Agreed. My eye goes right to that bottom corner. In my mind it carries significant weight in overall eye appeal. And all 4 corners of your '53 are perfect.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Sdub

A PSA 8 with strong corners, pristine surface and no print errors....is not a PSA 8.

+1
  • Options

A PSA 8 with strong corners, blah, blah blah

this looking into two mirrors box effect quote thing is ridiculous.
  • Options
  • Options

Thanks Moimage

Obviously you own the card so you are trying to promote the card so you can try to sell it for higher when time to sell and you are promoting it on this forum.

I am not promoting my card since I am wanting to buy more at the best price and lower than $6k. The more it goes up the more it costs me to get the card, and I would like to acquire a few more and would love the $4k range this card was sitting at 8-9 months ago. I collect - not flip; therefore I want prices to stay low so I can buy more for cheap.

Please don't assume or speak for others - if you want to add something positive to the discussion it would help but making false accusations and statements gains you what? If I want to sell a card I will put it on the proper board which is the BST board, and most likely I would not even do that since several folks have emailed me over the last 6 months about several of my cards but I am not selling them at this time - I am trying to build up my collection which selling does not help.

I think if you work with people on the board you will get a lot further - free advice which is up to you to take it or ignore it. Have a good evening.
  • Options
    i haven't got contact info of the guy that's selling the cheap 8 either, kc!

• Options
    +1 I def would like the prices to take a break or even decrease. Just don't see that happening.

It seems its a race to finish our Mantle collections or obtain certain specific ones before the prices get out of hand. If they haven't already. Im no where near promoting or looking to sell any of my cards right now. In fact, I think Im priced out of the 52's due to the costs are crazy. Even at a 20% price drop from their highs. I think each one of us would be in line for that 8 at those prices.
  • Options
    Ok...I'll see my 8 and raise it to 9

photo 563_59_1_zpsqmjkz0hu.jpg
  • Options

Thanks Moimage

I am not promoting my card since I am wanting to buy more at the best price and lower than $6k. The more it goes up the more it costs me to get the card, and I would like to acquire a few more and would love the $4k range this card was sitting at 8-9 months ago. I collect - not flip; therefore I want prices to stay low so I can buy more for cheap.

Please don't assume or speak for others - if you want to add something positive to the discussion it would help but making false accusations and statements gains you what? If I want to sell a card I will put it on the proper board which is the BST board, and most likely I would not even do that since several folks have emailed me over the last 6 months about several of my cards but I am not selling them at this time - I am trying to build up my collection which selling does not help.

I think if you work with people on the board you will get a lot further - free advice which is up to you to take it or ignore it. Have a good evening.

You sound frazzled. How much did you sell your 53 mantle Psa 8 that you sold for a few years ago? How much do you think it would cost to buy it back now cause you stated you are all about growing your collection?
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    KC - That '53 Mantle is off the charts. It checks all of the boxes including price based on the PSA 5 grade. I would take that one over many examples graded higher. Great card.

Begsu - Totally agree regarding the '53 tops Mantle. My eyes go directly to that lower left corner. If it is red I am willing to overlook other flaws.

Seebelow - You certainly did see his 8 and raise it to a 9. That card definitely deserves the grade. Wow!

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options

Thanks Moimage

You sound frazzled. How much did you sell your 53 mantle Psa 8 that you sold for a few years ago? How much do you think it would cost to buy it back now cause you stated you are all about growing your collection?

None of us in this thread have any idea what you are talking about, but it is entertaining to say the least! We are discussing the 1956 Mantle in PSA 8 in this thread but cannot figure out what your adding to it.

You are talking about a card (53 Mantle) that you said I sold in a PSA 8 " a few years ago" and how much I sold it for. Please show me where I discussed selling a 53 Mantle anywhere in this thread - I don't own a 53 in a PSA 8 but I do own one that is a PSA 5 that I enjoy greatly.
    If I did have one and did try to sell the 53 Mantle in an 8 I will be sure to let you know so you can make sure I don't "promote" it on here.image

We will also make sure that we will inform every collector that they are never allowed to sell any cards in their collection ever again despite the fact that the only way they might be able to upgrade and get a card they want is to sell it. Time to shut down the BST board guys!!
  • Options
    Ok...I'll see my 8 and raise it to 9

hey, that looks just like my 8 but w/ a different flip! image

• Options
    Nice pickup with the 9 - when did you score that one?
  • Options
    Warriors8,

Maybe slow down a bit on the frazzled attacks..not exactly sure where you're coming from, but we are all just having fun discussions about the cards we love and discussing their value is a component of it. I think it's awesome that a great guy like KC has killer cards in his collection and it's cool that he's willing to share insights and parts of his collection with this forum. I think if KC was looking to sell any of his cards he would do so in a manner that would end up being a win win whether it was on the BST or auction house. I've used PWCC and a few times get more than what I've even touted certain cards to be worth. Anyway, play nice.

Belz
  • Options
    maybe he's wrestling w/ some personal demons.

• Options
    BTW, Seebelow...is that your 9? If I haven't said it before shame on me but that is one sick card...oh my. oh oh my.
  • Options
    maybe he's wrestling w/ some personal demons.

Now it has turned into a wrestling thread? Where is Dpeck when you need him? image
  • Options

Thanks Moimage

None of us in this thread have any idea what you are talking about, but it is entertaining to say the least! We are discussing the 1956 Mantle in PSA 8 in this thread but cannot figure out what your adding to it.

You are talking about a card (53 Mantle) that you said I sold in a PSA 8 " a few years ago" and how much I sold it for. Please show me where I discussed selling a 53 Mantle anywhere in this thread - I don't own a 53 in a PSA 8 but I do own one that is a PSA 5 that I enjoy greatly.
    If I did have one and did try to sell the 53 Mantle in an 8 I will be sure to let you know so you can make sure I don't "promote" it on here.image

We will also make sure that we will inform every collector that they are never allowed to sell any cards in their collection ever again despite the fact that the only way they might be able to upgrade and get a card they want is to sell it. Time to shut down the BST board guys!!

You mentioned in another thread that you regret selling a 53 mantle psa 8 that you used to own lol.