Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does your better half show an interest in our hobby?

2»

Comments

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

My wife shows great interest when my collection starts spreading beyond the agreed upon confines. As long as they stay where they belong she show no interest.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ex wife hated the hobby. Subsequent girlfriend hated it more. My current girlfriend, who’s a keeper for a lot of reasons, finds it interesting. She asked to see my 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set and then read the backs of all 80 cards!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife doesn’t really care about my card collecting. She has said from time to time ‘“ It’s a little goofy you collect pictures of men, but if it makes you happy then I’m happy”.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

My fiance doesn't give 2 craps about sports. But she tries real hard to learn about football and the cowboys. She thinks cards are kind of silly, but she shows interest because I like them. She reads the backs of the 48 leaf boxing cards, and is pretty good at spotting flaws.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I get caught going over the budget, she's no longer my better half, she's my bitter half. 😉

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

My wife has never once actually complained about my collecting, which I really appreciate because I know it's just not her thing.

She even came with me to a local card show last year, which I could see in her eyes was met with confusion and disappointment. That being said, I appreciate that even though it's not her thing she supports my hobby interests and has never discouraged me. I will say when we moved into a new house and she actually saw the total inventory of cards I had she was slightly horrified. (Good thing she has no idea what's in my parents' storage unit)

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options

Oh how I love it. Card collecting and wives. I just love it. I love how women deal with our card collecting ways. Some don't care, some read the backs of cards, some are confused! I love it.😉

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Mike
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even a little bit lol

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Been married 25 years and wife is supportive of hobby. Wife is a huge football fan, grew up near Oakland and attended Raiders games with her Grandfather in the late 70's. Big Ken Stabler fan! The last few years we have attended Tri-Star shows together in Houston (we live 2 hours away in Louisiana). A typical weekend would be to leave on Friday--- go to Ikea, World Market and Pier 1 prior to going to NRG Stadium for show on Friday. We stay in the Galleria area at a Marriott a block away from the Mall and restaurants. Saturday we usually shop and hit antique stores and flea markets on our way home. The wife has $200 to spend on cards she likes and she never questions my budget which is usually $1000-$1500. She likes old vintage cards, players with big ears and odd ball stuff. Her purchases include: 1911 T205 Eddie Collins-mouth open, 1933 Goudey Rabbit Maranville (big ears), 1955 & 56 Don Mossi (big ears), 1912 T207 Napoleon Rucker, 1887 N172 Old Judge Shorty Fuller a couple 1963 Bazooka (Young, Mathison), Willie Mays Milk Dud box still with candy, Willie Mays bobble head from the 60's and a PSA 10 Patrick Mahomes just because he is "cute and adorable". I feel lucky--- we bond and have a terrific weekend.

• Options

@sayheywyo said:
    Been married 25 years and wife is supportive of hobby. Wife is a huge football fan, grew up near Oakland and attended Raiders games with her Grandfather in the late 70's. Big Ken Stabler fan! The last few years we have attended Tri-Star shows together in Houston (we live 2 hours away in Louisiana). A typical weekend would be to leave on Friday--- go to Ikea, World Market and Pier 1 prior to going to NRG Stadium for show on Friday. We stay in the Galleria area at a Marriott a block away from the Mall and restaurants. Saturday we usually shop and hit antique stores and flea markets on our way home. The wife has $200 to spend on cards she likes and she never questions my budget which is usually $1000-$1500. She likes old vintage cards, players with big ears and odd ball stuff. Her purchases include: 1911 T205 Eddie Collins-mouth open, 1933 Goudey Rabbit Maranville (big ears), 1955 & 56 Don Mossi (big ears), 1912 T207 Napoleon Rucker, 1887 N172 Old Judge Shorty Fuller a couple 1963 Bazooka (Young, Mathison), Willie Mays Milk Dud box still with candy, Willie Mays bobble head from the 60's and a PSA 10 Patrick Mahomes just because he is "cute and adorable". I feel lucky--- we bond and have a terrific weekend.

My friend, you've reached heaven. I can only dream of such an existence.😉

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2019 3:59AM

@sayheywyo said:
    ........Wife is a huge football fan, grew up near Oakland and attended Raiders games with her Grandfather in the late 70's. Big Ken Stabler fan!..........

I knew a woman like had to exist. If you tell me she's a Star Trek fan I may secretly start to plot your demise.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2019 3:58AM

Double Post.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife thought I was crazy most of the time. Then I did one PWCC consignment on some cards that I had doubles of to give her an idea of their value - rather than my valuations which she always figured were bull sh1t - and now she thinks it’s the best thing in the world.

A great question to pose to hobby ‘haters’ is this:

Think about all the things you buy and tell me how many of them are (or at least can be) worth the same or more when you go to sell them after you have owned them?

House
    Stock
    Bond

Did I miss anything? Nope. But if YOU ask ME that SAME question, my list is longer by one. :wink:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@sayheywyo said:
    ........Wife is a huge football fan, grew up near Oakland and attended Raiders games with her Grandfather in the late 70's. Big Ken Stabler fan!..........

I knew a woman like had to exist. If you tell me she's a Star Trek fan I may secretly start to plot your demise.

🤣

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ummmm, you have to define the term "better half". Maybe some of us ARE the better half?!?!? Just something to ponder on a Monday morning.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

My partner shows interest and is happy for me when I find/win a card I want. He always wants to see it when it arrives. If I’m undecided between two cards, I’ll show him both and get his unbiased opinion regarding eye appeal.

He likes to go to card shows with me too, but he remains dumbfounded by how pricing works...always asking me “what makes this card worth that asking price?!” I respond with “go ask the dealer”, and he usually ends up haggling with them for no apparent reason...it’s hilarious!

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2019 11:30AM

I fully acknowledge my wife is clearly the better half.

Occasionally, I'll show her a card or autograph and it goes something like this:

me; "hey, check out this [card x] I just picked up! It's a really cool rookie card of [player y]. Check out the centering on that beauty. Did you know [some random piece of useless trivia about the player? I'm really excited to add it to my collection."

her: "sounds good. hey did you remember to bring in the garbage cans?"

I'm a big believer in doing what you love and having a partner that respects and supports what you do--even if they don't personally find it as interesting as you do. That's kind of where we're at.

• Options

@thunderdan said:
    I fully acknowledge my wife is clearly the better half.

Occasionally, I'll show her a card or autograph and it goes something like this:

me; "hey, check out this [card x] I just picked up! It's a really cool rookie card of [player y]. Check out the centering on that beauty. Did you know [some random piece of useless trivia about the player? I'm really excited to add it to my collection."

her: "sounds good. hey did you remember to bring in the garbage cans?"

I'm a big believer in doing what you love and having a partner that respects and supports what you do--even if they don't personally find it as interesting as you do. That's kind of where we're at.

I feel your pain.😉

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

My fiance absolutely hates that I collect cards, but allows it to some extent bc it's something her brother and I connect over. Any time she complains about my card collection, I point to her shoe collection and that stops the conversation immediately.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    edited May 6, 2019 12:25PM

When I get a cool card = Me: Hey check out........ Wife: Hand me the remote.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife tries to understand my excitement but just can't wrap her brain around me getting excited about collecting cardboard. Having said that she is very supportive of my addiction. Lucky for me her addiction is photography so she can't complain too much about my collecting as photography is a never ending money pit. Always a new camera or lens that is coming out that she just has to have.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2019 3:17PM

@JBrules said:
    My wife tries to understand my excitement but just can't wrap her brain around me getting excited about collecting cardboard. Having said that she is very supportive of my addiction. Lucky for me her addiction is photography so she can't complain too much about my collecting as photography is a never ending money pit. Always a new camera or lens that is coming out that she just has to have.

Well that works out good because she can take really nice pics of your cards instead of you scanning them. A good camera, in the right hands and under the right conditions, blows away a scanner any day. Plus, it would be a good bridge to join both your interests.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

No interest at all. The less she knows the better for me. She once asked me how much I made on a card I sold. I could see the gleam in her eyes for finding a new resource of cash for her to spend so I quickly changed the subject. So far so good. I speak to my sons in "code" about recent card purchases I made or how much I sold a card for whenever she is in earshot. She is a woman and even though she seems uninterested, she is always listening. Once again, so far so good.

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

My better half is neutral about my card addiction. She knows cards make me happy and brings me enjoyment. At least I'm home collecting and not out boozing, gambling, and doing something that would put me behind bars. I think the only time she gets interested or excited for me is when I make a big sale. Most of the time, I get this...….

Her: Are you playing with your cards?
    Me: I'm not playing with them, I'm looking at them.
    Her: Pfft!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

EagleEyeKid said:
    My better half is neutral about my card addiction. She knows cards make me happy and brings me enjoyment. At least I'm home collecting and not out boozing, gambling, and doing something that would put me behind bars. I think the only time she gets interested or excited for me is when I make a big sale. Most of the time, I get this...….

Haha my ex called it “playing.” One reason she’s my ex.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes she does. Not a week goes by that she doesn't ask "When are you going to get rid of all that %&@$(&! $)&*#."

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

My wife has in recent years shown some interest. She will bust open a box of cards willingly and even help sort and catalogue. She does not have her own collection but encourages and supports my habit. If we go somewhere, such as the National last year, I make sure that there is some good shopping time set aside for her. When I have regretted not making a purchase, she usually tells me that she told me at the time to buy it and I should have listened to her. I love her for everything she does, especially for putting up with my hobby. My only interests outside of family and work are baseball and collecting baseball. I think she realizes I could be out on the golf course every weekend with the boys or up to no good and this keeps me out of trouble and hopefully after I die, some of the money can be recovered.

She seemed disappointed when I told her I was not going to buy boxes of regular Topps to build a set this year, I am only going to buy a factory set and the singles I want. I have a few boxes of 2019 Big League and Pro Debut coming soon. She also wonders why the couple older boxes I have don't get cracked and doesn't understand why I think they are worth WAY more unopened.

She knows all the current Orioles and the Hall of Famers, she is starting to learn the rest of the Orioles old greats.

I make sure to dare not say anything when she drops 50 bucks at the nail salon.

• Options
    amp0909amp0909 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

I just had my wife read these posts. She can relate to a lot of them. At first she didn't get it but now she buys me boxes and gets excited when I "win" and pull something good.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 6:21PM

No
    She does crafty shit and I do cards.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

EagleEyeKid said:

LMAO!!! I usually say I'm studying them.

My wife's only interest is when I'm going to croak so she can sell everything. I think she has Steve Hart on speed dial.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

My wife says she would only be interested in my cards if i sold them all.