Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does your better half show an interest in our hobby?

Now I'm not asking if she or he collects. I'm asking if they share in your excitement when you get that card or piece of whatever you have been after? Do they know anything about the players or teams you collect? Do they lovingly call you a giant card collecting nerd like my wife does? Lol

One of Tonya's and my favorite things to do is to unwind with a drink or 10, on the back porch, after we put the kids to bed. We have a good time sharing our days and just shooting the breeze. We like playing games, quizzing each other on anything. Last night I asked her to name 3 starting qb's that played for the Dallas Cowboys. To my surprise, the guy she named first was Roger Staubach followed by Aikman and Romo.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed especially since I don't collect Staubach and he retired the year she was born lol! I believe that really shows love when your other person takes an interest in something you're passionate about.

Feel free to share.

Comments

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife is not really interested in the hobby aspect of my cards. On the other hand
    she has said publicly many times that she prefers I spend what I do on cards versus
    on another woman.....

Dave
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Lol! My wife has said similar things.
  • My wife enjoys the investment aspect of it. Of course I think all my unopened sitting on shelves looks cool she likes when I tell her I bought it for $10 and now it's worth $20. Of course the next response is you really haven't turned a profit if you never sell it. I told her that's her job once I'm dead.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes she does. She supplies the funds and I spend tons of time on my IPad checking the CU board, Ebay, Collectors Focus, and VCP site for cards! She has a decent idea of what cards are worth and Mickey Mantle cards are worth more than Mickey Tettleton cards. If something ever happened to me please offer her at least a percentage of VCP - don't use the SMR image
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    She would go to card shows with me back in the day at the Gilbralter shows as long as they were selling Beanie Baby's too!!
  • dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    My wife used to collect cards with her dad as a kid by default because her brother was not interested in sports or collecting. She has since lost interest and didn't get back into like I did. She tolerates card shows but probably because the kids are with us and they like collecting. She also accepts the time I put into the hobby and has no issue with the money I put aside for my "baseball card fund". We would do the same for them, right? image

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will

<< <i>My wife used to collect cards with her dad as a kid by default because her brother was not interested in sports or collecting. She has since lost interest and didn't get back into like I did. She tolerates card shows but probably because the kids are with us and they like collecting. She also accepts the time I put into the hobby and has no issue with the money I put aside for my "baseball card fund". We would do the same for them, right? image >>

Nice Dave! Having an understanding wife is key to a happy collecting life. Hey that's good stuff right there haha!
  • FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    I get those weird looks from her when I tell her something new about my collection. Like ok honey, if your happy. Then I'm happy for you.
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Men blow money on collectibles. Women blow money on vacations. Which is better?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    not at all, but she loves the competition on the packages that the mail lady brings each day....

she won today! image

<< <i>not at all, but she loves the competition on the packages that the mail lady brings each day....

she won today! image >>

Funny. That reminds me of something. We went out of town one year and had our mail held at the po. My wife and I walked in, she got her few pieces of mail consisting of pwe's and I walked out with two usps carrier baskets full of bubble mailers. Best part was, she had to carry one for me lol!
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Wife couldn't care less and hates sports to boot. The double whammy

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    My wife loves to see what I get in the mail. She also really enjoys opening packs and finding the "hits". She usually pulls the best cards out of each box. When we first started dating she didn't know anything about baseball. Now she can hold her own with most men, even her boss, and he played a little minor league baseball back in the day. She even named our cat Gwynn because she knew he was my favorite player.

• << <i>Men blow money on collectibles. Women blow money on vacations. Which is better? >>

If the vacation is Vegas and you get to join, then both are the same.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine hates it. Despises it.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My wife is not really interested in the hobby aspect of my cards. On the other hand
    she has said publicly many times that she prefers I spend what I do on cards versus
    on another woman.....) >>

I just read this to my wife and she said "my sentiments exactly". image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

<< <i>Mine hates it. Despises it. >>

Well in that case, pick out something she really likes and hate it with all your might. Just don't tell her I said that lol!

<< <i>

Well in that case, pick out something she really likes and hate it with all your might. Just don't tell her I said that lol! >>

My wife is digging this thread. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

<< <i>

Well in that case, pick out something she really likes and hate it with all your might. Just don't tell her I said that lol! >>

I think the only thing she really likes are the kids.... Or money.

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think the only thing she really likes are the kids.... Or money. >>

Two things impossible to hate.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife is cool with my collection. We moved into a new house last year which has a very large storage closet at the top of the stairs. Upon viewing it for the first time she told me, "This could be your card room." That was super cool.

But she's not into it herself, and knows absolutely nothing about it. Very early on when we were first dating, I showed her my prized possession at the time; my 86 Fleer basketball set in PSA 9. A few weeks later, she bought me a 2006 Fleer basketball blaster box at Walmart. She said, "I know you already had Fleer basketball cards, so I thought you'd like these."

So I'd say I have it pretty good......she's totally supportive, yet knows nothing about the value of cards; which enables me to make some fairly outrageous purchases every now and then.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less than zero.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    not at all, but she loves the competition on the packages that the mail lady brings each day.... she won today!

My exact sentiments - I often lose on the daily package battle to the likes of arrivals from Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, etc.

Do shoes have value appreciation potential like Mickey Mantle?
    Go Dodgers!

• << <i>I get those weird looks from her when I tell her something new about my collection. Like ok honey, if you're happy. Then I'm happy for you. >>

Basically this. She's happy (sort of) for me when I get a pickup I'm especially excited about. She's glad it's something my sons and I can do together, and they have fun (and she tolerates) shopping for cards for dad on birthday and Christmas. As my tastes have changed with a heavy shift towards autographs and graded vintage, she is satisfied that I'm building a collection with legitimate value. But she's not super enthused about the hobby and doesn't collect sports stuff herself. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd be as attracted to her if she did collect.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife has zero interest in it, just like my other hobby (running) image
    Daniel

<< <i>My wife has zero interest in it, just like my other hobby (running) image >>

My wife is the same regarding running. She always says "why would anyone voluntarily want to run?" Lol

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I'll answer by showing a picture of Sharon at this year's Natty--errrrr--National. My 3rd--her 1st

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does your better half show an interest in our hobby? >>

Yes, I do have an interest in our hobby. image
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Girlfriend is quite supportive as she has attended dozens of national, regional and local Sports cards show and coin shows as I'm heavily into both PSA & PCGS.

She grew up in a sports fanatical family and night after night, the only thing we have been watching is usually the news and whatever game is on ie: Baseball, Hockey, Football. She will even watch these games when I'm not here.
    When I buy something she shows some interest, not tons, but some and she has routinely has asked me how my sales on eBay are going. Now I include her as much as possible as she enjoys helping me by packaging up cards/coins to mail off.
    My advice to anyone who has a woman in their life that doesn't care is show them that they can be included. Take them to a show out of town, as you can leave the show at a reasonable time and go shopping, eat out at a real nice restaurant, and/or buy her something while the 2 of you are out.

An interest can be planted if you do it right.

Here is a picture of Kelly at the National a few years ago wearing a White Sox jersey I bought her holding a "George Bush" 1990 Topps. I didn't buy the card.

Later, Paul.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    I co-opted her Paypal account once I found on-line cards ... now she does all the scanning and pic cropping and web hosting for me!! Does that count?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I co-opted her Paypal account once I found on-line cards ... now she does all the scanning and pic cropping and web hosting for me!! Does that count? >>

It sure does! Just because someone doesn't like sports or this hobby dosen't mean that they cannot be helpful and feel needed.

Later, Paul.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Not unless I sell a card for a big profit and then she wants a cut. So from now on i only break even on a sale or lose money. Winkimage
  • firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    my wife looks at my psa submission before I send it off. she usually takes about 4-5 cards out of my sub ever month .
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My wife enjoys the investment aspect of it. Of course I think all my unopened sitting on shelves looks cool she likes when I tell her I bought it for $10 and now it's worth $20. Of course the next response is you really haven't turned a profit if you never sell it. I told her that's her job once I'm dead. >>

My wife is very similar to this. She doesn't care much about my collecting and I try to justify that there are things in my collection that have appreciated in value, to which I get the, "what does it matter? You'll never sell them, so what's the point?"
    On our one-year anniversary, she helped me setup at a local card show... 89 Upper Deck was smoking.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is great about it. Has been going to the National with me for 13-14 years, scans my cards for sales, and does not say boo about any purchases. Have picked up some great cards this year and not a peep ever about what they cost.
  • Yeah. I may have spoiled her, or something. I'm pretty anal when it comes to the condition of my cards. Then, I show her one of my prized acquisitions.

"That looks a little off center. And, that corner. Ugh. Why did you buy that?"

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think the only thing she really likes are the kids.... Or money. >>

Two things impossible to hate. >>

She always wins
  • CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    My wife LOVES it!

It bought her engagement ring...
    Paid for the wedding...
    Honeymoon...
    Put the down payment on our house...
    Paid for her new car...
    Paid for college for our kids...

She LOVES IT!!!!

She worked a show with me back when we first met and could not believe that people paid THAT MUCH
    for THAT STUFF!!!
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"

Newer guys, feel free to share.

You can too doubledragon, even though I already know the answer😁

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't make me laugh!😂

@doubledragon said:
    Don't make me laugh!😂

Ahh grasshoppa, one must laugh in order to live and live in order to laugh!

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

She really doesn't mind my hobby. The issue is when I take it too far past the budget. I have a nasty little habit of getting carried away and ordering too many cards every month. So I guess I have the scoldings coming.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

My wife has absolutely no interest at all. Even is sports.
    I might tell her I have a card now worth $400 that I only paid $100 for a few months back .
    She will just say, "good."
    She basically thinks I am wasting my money while she puts hers in a managed account that gets like 4%.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

My girlriend enjoys going to games and tollerates them on TV as long as I will watch a housewives show once in a while with her. As for collecting she looks through the catalogs and say "thats cool"(at the $100,000 pieces). She buys me junk wax all the time because she says that its fun to open even if you throw it out after (I think she may just want me to take out the garbage when she does that though).

• MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

No, mine keeps asking when Im going to sell all those boxes so she can spend the money on other things.

Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of positive responses mixed in here which is great to see.

My wife has really gotten into the Yankees over the past few years and has been more and more supportive of my BBC collecting as well. So much so that she has incorporated a generous allotment of square footage on an extension we are planning to a dedicated room for the hobby. She loves the passion that I have for collecting and how much I try to get the kids, albeit a bit young, into the hobby as well. I have zero complaints.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MacrosB said:
    No, mine keeps asking when Im going to sell all those boxes so she can spend the money on other things.

If you did she could buy a small island with all that unbelievable unopened you posses. It takes a lot to make me say holy crap, but your collection does it for me Jim. Simply amazing.