Home U.S. Coin Forum

Collectors.com thanks so much! :)

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had sent DonWillis a private message when Collectors.com was launched as a search quickly found a upcoming auction lot that I missed glancing at the sale. If not for Collectors.com I would have surely kicked myself had I missed it and saw it in their archives post sale. So moving forward a month from when first discovered it's now all mine.

It's an unlisted metal type in Copper unknown to J. Doyle DeWitt & Edmund B. Sullivan in his revision as USG-1868-31 is listed as only having been issued in Brass. The die-sinking was done by Mr. Jarvis E. Ellis an engraver employed at Scovill Manufacturing Co. in Waterbury, Connecticut. Although similar to the more commonly seen 30 variety on the 31 obverse Ellis added a forth star on Grant's shoulder and wrinkles on his forehead. Wrongly attributed as a variety 30 by NGC and as the correct 31 variety it's 1 of only 2 (Now 3) known struck in Copper.

1868 Ulysses S. Grant, Presidential Campaign, DeWitt-USG-1868-31, 28mm Diameter, Unlisted in Copper

Here's my newp (top along with my other (below) both graded MS64RB by NGC & wrongly variety designated. However there's a huge difference in redness between the two. The new top example is fully red with fully proof like obverse and reverse fields with mint frost which makes it look cameo. I was extremely trilled to acquire this as in hand condition wise it's just breathtaking.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file