Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got my first pedigreed coin

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
From the Dakota Collection of WLHs. image What do you think?

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a good strike. Can't tell luster from the photos.

I cheated and checked your registry to see the grade but you haven't entered it yet. I still like that 20-D you have.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

<< <i> I still like that 20-D you have. >>

Thanks! I really appreciate that. I like yours a lot, too.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's WAYYYYYY too big.

Other than that, sweet white coin!!
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think? >>

I think the pictures are pretty overexposed and way too "hot", but it looks like a very nice Walker!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    let me go get my raybans as things are pretty bright in this here thread
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like every other white Walker
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. But I tend to collect coins and not collectors. Nice to knbow the provenance, but IMHO any prior collection provenance should not be on the slab.

OINK
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is always nice to see a fully hammered P mint from the 30s. Full branch hand separation. Even see the separation between the index finger and the hand.

The Dakota collection was a massive collection of WLHs.

Legend still has the 1916 example in 67 for sale for those who want to start the collection with a bang.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful WLH..... just the way I like them ... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice i like
  • Options

<< <i>It is always nice to see a fully hammered P mint from the 30s. Full branch hand separation. Even see the separation between the index finger and the hand.

The Dakota collection was a massive collection of WLHs.

Legend still has the 1916 example in 67 for sale for those who want to start the collection with a bang. >>

You have a keen eye. Strike is sharp, even for a Philly coin....I thought the same thing. Fields look incredibly clean, too. Luster is there. Booming on the left and right facing side of the obv.

Can you tell me anything else about the Dakota collection? I noticed it a few years ago but know little about it other than it was a full, high end set. Thanks.

<< <i>Nice coin. But I tend to collect coins and not collectors.
    OINK >>

I feel that the coin is PQ, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. It has a CAC sticker, as well. image I really like the added bells & whistles but they are secondary.

<< <i>Beautiful WLH..... just the way I like them ... image Cheers, RickO >>

I knew you'd like it RickO!! Thanks!! image

Nobody attempted to gtg, so I'll reveal it---MS 66. Looks 67 to me.

Thanks to all who responded!

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Coinfacts article (http://www.coinnews.net/2011/09/29/legend-acquires-dakota-collection-for-2-5m-sells-rare-1794-silver-dollar/)

In a separate, $2.5 million transaction, Legend has acquired the Dakota Collection consisting of approximately 2,000 high-grade 20th century U.S. type coins.

"It includes some of the finest known Buffalo nickels, Standing Liberty quarters and Walking Liberty half dollars. There are choice BU 1916 and 1918 Buffalo overdates and superb gem 1919, 1925, 1926 and 1927 San Francisco Mint Buffalos. There also are fantastic quality early Walkers including a gem 1921-S graded PCGS MS65 and 1923-S graded PCGS MS66," said Sperber.

"This is one of the most amazing 20th century collections I have ever seen. You can tell the collector had passion and a sense for quality. Each coin has been a treat to see."

She described the Dakota Collection seller as "a very low key individual who has collected all his life and quietly assembled this particular 20th century type collection over 25 years. He’s only selling now because he is preparing to retire. He feels he has too many collectibles and doesn’t want a huge collection of thousands of coins to be a future burden on his family. He’s actually still collecting coins, but now he’s building smaller sets."

For additional information, contact Legend Numismatics by phone at (800) 743-2646, by email at Legend@LegendCoin.com, or visit online at www.LegendCoin.com.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    quite a nice, crisp strike with excellent central detail that shows not only the entire thumb and forefinger but the separation before the next finger. the best struck Walker I have owned was a 1934 with a similar strike and the slightest rub, but I bought it anyway. your coin looks way above average with a creamy texture and RickO approved surfaces.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file