Home U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a couple of Buffs I just purchased. Ya wanna see em? GRADES ARE IN...

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm happy to say I found a couple of pretty nice Buffs for my collection. They're raw but I think they have potential, they for sure have some nice eye appeal. They've spent many years, decades, in the same album and are strikingly similar in color and toning pattern. Like twins. Yes I feel the 1918 is AU-58 and the 27-d I believe will grade no less than 63 with a good shot at 64. Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome.
Happy hunting, Joe

[url=http://postimage.org/]image[/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]free upload image[/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]image[/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]pictures upload[/url]

I'm very happy with the grades on these two beauties. The 18 was a bit of a supersize as the hipbone and flank were a bit flat. But, it's a weaker strike and the toning was more than likely rubbed off due to the coin album. I thought it might have gone that way and it does make me happy as hell.
If you guessed 63 on the 27-d you did good. Although I was hoping for a 64. At any rate they are very beautiful and I'm happy to add these to my collection.
Thanks to all for playing along.
Happy hunting, Joe
The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (whistle) Those are good looking Buffs!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Wow, those are dramatic. Love 'em. Great pics.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, well done! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are really nice!
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed!

If I had to pick one solely based on color/tone it would be the 27.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are both very attractive toned Buffalos. Thanks for sharing.

What's going on between 7:30-8:00 on the reverse rim of the 1918?

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are both very attractive toned Buffalos. Thanks for sharing.

What's going on between 7:30-8:00 on the reverse rim of the 1918? >>

I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. The rim is raised there with no signs of a rim dent. Not sure what ya call it but it's minted that way. A small cud ? Out-of-position collar ?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    what beauties
    simply amazing patina's must jump out and trip you while you're on your merry way
    as it's crazy all these sweet rainbow buffalo's that find their lost way to you

congrats
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy nice, Joe. Your buffaloes never cease to amaze me. Pictures don't come close.
    Lance.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twins!

Must have been long term stored the same way, nice to keep them together still in the same collection.
    Did the seller have any more?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant!!!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the 27-D is a 64.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Those both look like the "Mormon F" variety of Buffalo Nickels.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, you are the most masterful bufallo hunter. Your NEWP's are awesome. I will grade them off the chart because the toning is so spectacular. Just wonder what type of album they were in.

And someday please post a picture of yourself with a .50 caliber buffalo gun........

OINK
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are wild.

What kind of album was it?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have many, many Buffs..... and none have tarnish like that... always surprises me to see Buffs like this... Cheers, RickO
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    A couple of more beauties to add to the herd.

Mike

<< <i>Those are wild.

What kind of album was it? >>

I dunno what kinda coin album they came out of. But I'll assure you they were there for many years to have picked up this type of toning. Thanks to all for the complements, much appreciated.
    Happy hunting, Joe
  • I'm going to ask a question that might take this thread to a much broader topic... I've understood in numismatics that natural toning is good and artificial toning is bad. Is this true? How can you tell the difference? And are these Buffalo nickels toned naturally or artificially? Does it matter?
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

<< <i>I'm going to ask a question that might take this thread to a much broader topic... I've understood in numismatics that natural toning is good and artificial toning is bad. Is this true? How can you tell the difference? And are these Buffalo nickels toned naturally or artificially? Does it matter? >>

The answer to this question is a very tough one, and long. It really does take some time, handling, talking about, and understanding the difference. I'll let some of the other folks here, that are much better explaining the difference, take over. I am not very articulate with words.
  • deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Most of the buffs I have owned or seen with this kind of rainbow toning are either cleaned and or dipped and retoned in an album. Sometimes they get graded by a grading service and sometimes they don't. But who cares they are still beautiful and nice to have in a collection.
  • ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the 27-D is a 64. >>

Have to agree, I see nothing 63 about that coin. Much nicer than 63 luster, no major hits I can tell and a more than respectable stike for the issue. Then there is the eye appeal image
    Grades are in....
    Stand by.
    Originally posted by: Hydrant
    Strange how similar they are. Wonder how that happened?

From the same coin album sitting for decades. It is amazing how similar they are. I feel lucky to have located these, to say the least.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again-no points for color.

And, Joe-if you ever want to unload this low grade junk just holler!
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: crazyhounddog

Originally posted by: Hydrant

Strange how similar they are. Wonder how that happened?

From the same coin album sitting for decades. It is amazing how similar they are. I feel lucky to have located these, to say the least.

Awesome, would be nice to get some of the other dates, too

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking twin! Congrats
    Originally posted by: koynekwest
    Once again-no points for color.

And, Joe-if you ever want to unload this low grade junk just holler!

All junk has it's price.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice grades.... Cheers, RickO
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have many, many Buffs..... and none have tarnish like that... always surprises me to see Buffs like this... Cheers, RickO

it isn't really the storage medium that is important in determining whether a coin will tone, it is more a factor of the humidity, the amount of water that will allow for the contaminants to transfer onto the coin surface. also, some coins have contaminants on their surface which promotes tone. in clearer terms, the same coins can be stored in the same holders and the ones that will tone the most are the ones in the humid environment.

from that perspective, the tone is environmental damage which happened naturally. I'm not making a case that these coins are AT, just that RickO tends to store his coins in a better way to protect them.
  • ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless the 27-d is darker and less lusterous than the image suggests I still see as it a 64. I also think you may have been on to something with the potential wear on the 1918, with the 63 being a market grade. Stunning pieces regardless
  • gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    I'm 100 percent with Shamika and ad4400. That 27-d is MS64. I'd resubmit, more than once if necessary.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins look great for what they are- terrific color and great eye appeal. But...

The 1918 reverse looks alittle flat-

The 1927-D strike looks average

The grades seem to be appropriate

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking coins great color!
    New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about slaying buffaloes, Bill Cody doesn't hold a candle to Buffalo Joe. Wow! Again and again, Joe. You certainly can find them.

Congrats and great grades.

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    congrats there bud

finally got around to sending these in did ya

a stunning treat to look at these again

surely 63 or 64 matters very little on that 27-d

any lucky enough to see this in hand won't be looking at that label much anyway

it's all about the coin i say
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2
    I'm going to ask a question that might take this thread to a much broader topic... I've understood in numismatics that natural toning is good and artificial toning is bad. Is this true? How can you tell the difference? And are these Buffalo nickels toned naturally or artificially? Does it matter?

This link might be able to explain the difference between NT and AT and how to spot them: Linky

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file